Anyone know of something? I need to send an received IM's when I'm on the phone using Verizon. Please help!
    10-24-10 07:09 PM
    Anyone know of something? I need to send an received IM's when I'm on the phone using Verizon. Please help!
    Can't be done, sorry. No simultaneous voice and data on CDMA carriers currently, which is what Verizon is.

You "might" be able to SMS message while on a voice call but no guarantees there either.
    10-24-10 07:14 PM
    You will need to switch to a HSPA+ network to voice and data at the same time (for now)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-10 09:04 PM
    Get an 9650. And connect with wifi.

I think it should work. Lol.

I read that somewhere.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 10-24-10 at 09:15 PM.
    10-24-10 09:09 PM
    Get an 9650.
    I think it should work. Lol.

The only way it would work is if you're in a wifi hotspot, and connected to the wifi network. CDMA will not do simultaneous voice and data regardless of the device over only the cell network. Not a BB, not my Droid 2, nothing unless you have wifi for your data available while you're making voice calls.

Edit: oops, saw your edit and I agree, wifi is the only possible way, and then any IM app would work.
    10-24-10 09:18 PM
    The only way it would work is if you're in a wifi hotspot, and connected to the wifi network. CDMA will not do simultaneous voice and data regardless of the device over only the cell network. Not a BB, not my Droid 2, nothing unless you have wifi for your data available while you're making voice calls.

Edit: oops, saw your edit and I agree, wifi is the only possible way, and then any IM app would work.
    Lol yeah. After I posted I was like, hmm. I don't remember typing wifi.
    Came back to change it before anyone noticed. D;

10-24-10 09:22 PM
    You can SMS while on the phone, but as the others said, no data unless you're using WIFI.

10-24-10 09:47 PM
    Then how about a IM client that works with SMS? Something where you can send a receive messages using SMS?
    10-24-10 10:49 PM
    Then how about a IM client that works with SMS? Something where you can send a receive messages using SMS?
    What's wrong with the device's built in SMS program? Granted it isn't the best I've ever used, but it is servicable...
    10-25-10 12:35 AM
    What's wrong with the device's built in SMS program? Granted it isn't the best I've ever used, but it is servicable...
    That only works if phone numbers are exchanged, I for one am not giving all my messenger(s) contacts my phone number.
    10-25-10 12:43 AM
    I don't think you get it, the technology doesn't permit it. I would suggest getting a cheap payg phone that supports I'm clients, perhaps a Symbian or just an old Blackberry, pretty cheap on ebay.

10-25-10 05:11 AM
    There's no BlackBerry IM application that uses SMS currently.
    10-25-10 06:53 AM
    You can SMS while on the phone, but as the others said, no data unless you're using WIFI.

Why is it that my 8330 will not send messages(SMS) while in call? I can only receive then the sent messages say pending.

10-25-10 07:18 AM
    You can do it, with a little work...I think.

Can you send e-mail via wifi while on a call?

If so, then you can use the Verizon SMS gateway while on a call.

If you wanted to send an SMS "to" someone, address the message to [email protected]. Then that email will be received as an SMS by the other person. And they could then send a TXT back to you by TXTing to your email address (and you would just receive it as an email).
    10-25-10 07:21 AM
    No. You cannot send email on a CDMA device while on the phone. The SMS gateway will not work either.

Deathcommand's problem is a Sprint network problem that happens with some models.
    10-25-10 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD