Hey everyone, I was given a Q10 Model SQN100-1 (Unfortunately, however given what I currently use, anything is better than an old LG Rumour 2). The phone has been unlocked as of this afternoon, so I can take it wherever it can work. However, I'm not sure what provider I want to go for, and I wanted clarification on what providers I can use. I know Wind is one provider I can't go with (RIP well-priced unlimited plans).

I am not looking to spend more than $30 monthly. I don't talk a lot, so minutes are not a huge need.

If I could go with Telus, I was interested in their "data and messaging 20"
    (Because of my post count, I can't embed an image or link the plan from Telus)

Basically:
    Plan details
    Unlimited text, picture and video messaging in Canada and to the US
    Unlimited international texts and incoming messages
    $0.15 per MB if you exceed 100 MB
    Other notes:
    Calling is $0.15/min, $0.50 for long-distance

100 MB
    Unlimited local and international text messaging3
    Voice mail, call display, call waiting and conference calling at no charge
    I was using $25 bi-monthly prepaid before this, and have kept it for a while because I could not justify paying for a better plan, however I have started texting more, and needing to access emails and other online messaging services.

I wanted clarification as to whether my phone will work with Telus, and, are there other plans you suggest with Telus, or with another provider?
    03-23-15 05:41 PM
    I would recommend Telus for prepaid service. Their self-service tools are easy to use and their "My Account" app works with their prepaid service (unlike some other carriers) so you can easily track your usage. One thing that a lot of folks don't know about is that you are able to stack rate plans and add-ons with Telus. So say for example you have 1 GB of data for $30 and know that you're going to need more, you can add another 1 GB of data (or one of the other data add-ons if you need less) and it'll kick in as soon as the first one is used up or expires, whichever comes first, instead of paying the pay-per-use rate of $0.15 cents per MB.

This works with their rate plans that include data as well -- if you need more, simply add an additional data add-on to your account and you're set.

I find the service from Telus to be excellent, with strong reception, clear voice quality, and fast data access over both 4G LTE and HSPA+.
    03-30-15 04:52 PM
    A bigger network would definitely have the higher advantage due to the infrastructure they invest in heavily. But the cost per data addon ($30 for 1GB?!) is crazy. Same for a minuscule amount of airtime for such a price. CRTC definitely needs to take more action, if they had in 2011, I may have stuck with Telus, but they haven't until now, and I don't see myself returning any time soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 11:33 AM
    I settled with the Data and Messaging 20 on Telus. Been on it for over a month now.

They said I needed to add an additional $5 to make calls, which I paid, but the last time I renewed, Telus gave me a $5 credit. Cool, I guess.

I'd really prefer more data, but for $20, it's a good deal. I noticed Rogers has a similar deal, but calling minutes are more.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    05-18-15 09:29 PM
    Fleeting, did you buy the SIM from Telus online or in a store? Did they charge you a "SIM card fee" to start? How much was the plan you selected? Am I correct that Telus uses either Bell or Rogers towers?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 05:36 PM
    Went to a Telus store and bought the SIM there. It was around $15.

The phone was unlocked, so I was able to just put the card in and be on my way once I made an account with Telus.

The data-messaging add-on is $20 but does not include calling minutes. It's prepaid, so it doesn't count as a full-on plan. For calling minutes, you have to add-on $10 in a prepaid voucher. For a while, Telus was giving me free $5 to my account. I don't think they still are.

It's a good plan if you really don't talk a lot. I don't so it works. So long as you don't have to call people, which Pan Am Games work has made me do. I've paid an extra $20 for having to call people, some with 613 and 514 numbers. Not cool.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-24-15 03:56 PM
    Did you consider Telus's subsidiary, Koodo? Prepaid is $13.50 a month for unlimited text and picture messaging (if you set up automatic top-ups on your credit card), and as long as you keep the plan active, you can get 500 nationwide minutes that don't expire for $25, and 1 gb of data that doesn't expire for $30.

To put it into perspective, for unlimited messaging, 100 minutes, and 100 Mb, you pay $21.50 in a month. You'll pay less if you don't use that many minutes or as much data.

Given that I usually have WiFi, it works well for me. Koodo is on Telus's network, so the coverage is identical, as far as I know.
    07-24-15 05:18 PM
    I went with Sears Connect which uses Rogers. Operates through cityfone in Vancouver. Cheap and good plans especially for bringing your own phone. They also have specials where they double your data etc. Got this for my son and have had no issues whatsoever.
    11-08-15 09:20 AM
    My wife and I use Sears Connect as well and are happy with the service and pricing. Cityfone is owned by Rogers.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 11:51 PM