Hey ,guys.
    I have the same problem of chosing 9700 or 9550. If they are in the same network, I would prefer 9550. But telus make me really sick.
    I know that HSPA got a faster network. While I do not have a data plan, and also not want use it. I think I will use WIFI.
    If so, is CDMA the same as HSPA for me? What about signal?
    I will appreciate if anyone can help me。
    11-20-09 12:07 PM
    Hi maxz, with the new HSPA network from Bell or in your case Telus is a lot better than CDMA, the data is a lot faster and for signal strength, the HSPA network is better. you will get better and a stronger signal than CDMA and fewer dropped calls anywhere you go. The 9550 and 9700 are both nice phones. 9550 runs on the CDMA network and 9700 runs HSPA. with the 9700, you will receive better signal and faster data. if you don't like having half the screen or a keyboard then go for the 9550 but otherwise go for the 9700.

Hope this helps.
    11-20-09 12:39 PM
    Being on the HSPA network will also allow you to do voice and data at the same time. You can be on a call and still send email, chat on bbm, etc... CDMA doesn't allow for that. If same-time voice and data is something you need then the 9700 is the way to go.
    11-20-09 04:11 PM
    The HSPA network has far less coverage than the CDMA network, so if you travel, CDMA is actually a pretty good idea

perfect would be a phone with both
    11-21-09 12:52 AM
    The HSPA network has far less coverage than the CDMA network, so if you travel, CDMA is actually a pretty good idea

perfect would be a phone with both
    Just so u know thats 5% gone is just Saskatchewan and Manitoba(notsure) so if none of those provinces matter then, it shouldn't matter to him at all..
    BTW if u want a blackberry and u think ur not gonna use a dataplan then it's not possible.
    1. you need a data plan to have Service Books to give ur BB a Browser
    2. If you dont buy out the phone. Then ur gonna need a data plan, Telus has a $50 plan atleast a month
    3. mmm if u do buy it out.. you cant load the phone on to the network urself u need them to since they need all this bs info. It happened to me.
    11-21-09 03:27 AM
    My understanding is that hspa is better for traveling because it uses a sim card which a lot of countries use instead of cdma.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 06:22 AM
    My understanding is that hspa is better for traveling because it uses a sim card which a lot of countries use instead of cdma.

That's Irrelevant to his question, both of the phones are able to go travelling, both phones Support EDGE(2G), either way he has to still unlock the phone if he did go traveling, Only difference is that the 9700 supports 3G
    IMO Bud Get the 9700, its a better phone just because it has that HSPA+ too bad it cant dl at 7.2mb/s
    11-21-09 12:15 PM
    That's Irrelevant to his question, both of the phones are able to go travelling, both phones Support EDGE(2G), either way he has to still unlock the phone if he did go traveling, Only difference is that the 9700 supports 3G
    IMO Bud Get the 9700, its a better phone just because it has that HSPA+ too bad it cant dl at 7.2mb/s
    One thing the storms has 3G capability, the only this is that it is not in North America.
    11-22-09 10:02 AM
    Hey guys,

I just purchased the Blackberry Bold 9700 and I won't have it until Tuesday. I'm worried sick that this new HSPA network is going to screw me over. Can anyone shed some light on how good the service will be in places that only had 1X network before? Also does anyone know if they plan to make coverage the same as CDMA in the future? I heard its 93% HSPA and 98% CDMA coverage. If I was to travel across Canada, I won't have any service where I would of with my old CDMA Curve? Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Wilder
    01-14-10 06:19 PM
    Maxz, regardless of what other posters have stated above, it won't matter which phone you get if you don't intend to get a data plan (as a heads up though, unless you buy the phone outright, you may be required to run some sort of data plan). Either phone will work for travelling, but depending on where you are going, the 9550 may actually be better as there are still some countries that only use CDMA. If you're going to Europe, both will connect with a 3G signal as even the 9550 is capable of 3G on non-North American bands.

Within Canada, it won't make a huge difference when it comes to calls as to which network you're on. Both should work similarly.

Last edited by Krypto; 01-14-10 at 08:48 PM.
    01-14-10 08:44 PM
    Wilder, it may depend on exactly where you are located and whether Telus/Bell set up an HSPA tower nearby. When you get your phone, test it in those more questionable areas first, just in case it doesn't work and you end up needing to return it.

01-14-10 08:46 PM
    Hi maxz, with the new HSPA network from Bell or in your case Telus is a lot better than CDMA, the data is a lot faster and for signal strength, the HSPA network is better. you will get better and a stronger signal than CDMA and fewer dropped calls anywhere you go. The 9550 and 9700 are both nice phones. 9550 runs on the CDMA network and 9700 runs HSPA. with the 9700, you will receive better signal and faster data. if you don't like having half the screen or a keyboard then go for the 9550 but otherwise go for the 9700.

Hope this helps.
    FALSE!

CDMA have a better coverage than HSPA. hspa is a module added to most(but not all) CDMA tower. So some towers are NOT hspa. In some place you'll have CDMA coverage but no HSPA. look at the coverage maps on telus web site.

if you use wifi you will dont see any difference in data speed.
    01-14-10 08:48 PM
    the S2 can handle HSPA but only european frequency...(2100), 9700 can handle both american and european
    01-14-10 08:51 PM
    Either way, its not which network is best, its which network is best for YOU. Think about it....
    01-14-10 09:39 PM
    I would have to say the biggest advantage to the CDMA network is free texting to/from and in/out of the USA. The new HSPA network charges you 60 cents per text message sent OR received while you are in the states (due to AT&T roaming) while CDMA remains totally free (roaming on Verizon).

On top of this, people are reporting many problems with the new network (dropped calls), and I personally know several people who couldn't stand the HSPA network and instead picked up the Storm 2 on the CDMA network. Since both BB's have Wifi anyways... who really cares about data speeds. The 9700 can only get 3.6MBps while using cell towers, which isn't much faster than the 9550.

The HSPA network seems like a rip off to me.
    01-17-10 02:57 PM
    I would have to say the biggest advantage to the CDMA network is free texting to/from and in/out of the USA. The new HSPA network charges you 60 cents per text message sent OR received while you are in the states (due to AT&T roaming) while CDMA remains totally free (roaming on Verizon).

On top of this, people are reporting many problems with the new network (dropped calls), and I personally know several people who couldn't stand the HSPA network and instead picked up the Storm 2 on the CDMA network. Since both BB's have Wifi anyways... who really cares about data speeds. The 9700 can only get 3.6MBps while using cell towers, which isn't much faster than the 9550.

The HSPA network seems like a rip off to me.
    I went to Vegas with my Bold 9700 two days after I bought it and was charged 60 cents for each text sent/received and $1.45 each time someone called me, even though I never answered the phone and let it go to voicemail. My bill was an extra $300 that month.

I called Telus and they said it doesn't matter if I answer the call, I'm charged immediately under their roaming agreement with AT&T. Telus said I have to turn the phone off completley, they I won't be charged when someone calls me.
    01-17-10 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD