I used my 8100 for years and it did everything well but my needs grew this past year. I needed better support for Word/Excel/PDF (especially viewing tracked changes which eOffice doesn't support). I have wanted YouTube and Slingbox ever since I tried them out last year. I recently got an 8900 which I thought would solve my problems using Docs2Go and Wi-Fi but so far, it's a complete fail. Docs2Go also does not support viewing tracked changes in documents unless you pay extra. Wi-Fi does not work reliably at all where I need it even though Edge works nearly full strength. Wi-Fi works great at my house but I don't really need it there. I've checked the coverage maps and 3G is definitely available where I need it.

So now I'm looking for a new smartphone. These are my must haves:

* T-Mobile
    * 3G
    * Slingbox compatible
    * Freedom Universal Keyboard compatible (since I already own one)
    * Ability to view/edit Word and Excel files (including tracked changes) and at least view PDF files
    * able to connect to Windows XP
    * camera / video camera

These are my preferences (not a must):

* not a touch-screen
    * large keys (prefer 8100 size keys better than 8900)
    * flip-phone with dual screens (had a Samsung "dumb" phone like this before the 8100)
    * calendar comparable to a Blackberry with multiple alarms and lots of flexibility in programming schedules into it

---

If the 8220 had 3G, I'd pay the extra for Docs2Go Premium as I think it would be nearly perfect. I love the design, the flip and large keys, and am very comfortable with SureType. I wish you could just add a card with 3G!

The 9700 seems like a really nice phone but it's an expensive option. The upgrade would cost me $130 plus another $50 for Docs2Go Premium. I'm unsure about my Freedom Keyboard working with it since they haven't made drivers for 5.0 yet, as far as I know. I can live with the form-factor though I still prefer larger keys.

I think I would prefer a Blackberry since it's what I'm used to but a T-Mobile Dash 3G seems like a pretty good fit. I saw one in a T-Mobile store and hands-on, it was all right. I've heard a lot of negatives about Windows Mobile but in the short time that I tried it, it worked well. Office Mobile seemed superior to Docs2Go, though I didn't use it long enough to totally compare them. The screen seemed smaller than the 8900 but I'm still more used to an 8100 screen anyways. There is support for Windows Mobile 6.1 for both the Freedom keyboards and Slingbox. The price can't be beat as I could get a new one for free on upgrade. Anyone have an opinion of the Dash 3G?
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 05-12-10 at 02:48 PM.
    05-12-10 02:19 PM
    So basically, you want a smartphone but $130 is too pricey for you?

All I know, if I was changing phones from a blackberry, I def wouldn't get a dash lol.
    05-12-10 02:44 PM
    I think for your needs a WinMo such as the HTC Snap would be the best, because only MS Office for mobile Gets closest to the desktop version. And whatever you do, do NOT get a touch winmo unless it is os 7 or has a custom theme, because they are a PITA to use long term.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-10 02:49 PM
    So basically, you want a smartphone but $130 is too pricey for you?.
    Yes. Besides, it's not $130, it would actually be $180; even then, it falls short of my needs. I would be a fool to pay that much for a 9700 knowing it wouldn't work in the first place.

There are lots of smartphones for under $50 and many are free.

All I know, if I was changing phones from a blackberry, I def wouldn't get a dash lol
    Care to be more specific about what's wrong with the Dash? Or is that truly all you know?

I think for your needs a WinMo such as the HTC Snap would be the best, because only MS Office for mobile Gets closest to the desktop version. And whatever you do, do NOT get a touch winmo unless it is os 7 or has a custom theme, because they are a PITA to use long term.
    Thanks for the advice. I think the Dash is the T-Mobile version of the HTC Snap. I thought Blackberrys were the preferred business phones but I have really been struggling with Office documents recently on mine.
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 05-12-10 at 03:04 PM.
    05-12-10 02:57 PM
    Bb bold 9000 mate

05-12-10 04:22 PM
    Yeah Blackberrys are the preferred, but whenever you really need Office the version made by Microsoft is always better.
    05-12-10 05:50 PM
    Bb bold 9000 mate

Thanks for the reply but that model isn't offered by T-Mobile. I don't think it ever was. But at least it's closer to what I had in mind.

Yeah Blackberrys are the preferred, but whenever you really need Office the version made by Microsoft is always better.
    I'm beginning to think so. And thanks for the reply!

Is there really no Blackberry that fits my criteria? I confirmed that the 9700 won't work with my keyboard, too, so if I decide to go that route, it'll cost me another $125 on top for a new keyboard. Only T-Mobile's Dash 3G seems to fit my criteria and it's even cheaper now (free) than when I started looking.
    06-22-10 12:21 PM
    I agree that the Dash is probably the way to go. That said, I think a Pearl 3G is out or coming out soon.

06-22-10 01:16 PM
    I'm surprised they won't give you a 9700, they are giving them to new customers right now. If price is the main sticking point try arguing a bit harder and perhaps retentions will offer it to you free.

EDIT: Since you have specified TMo lets move this thread to their forum.
    06-22-10 01:22 PM
    I would be interested in the new Pearl but how long do I wait? I've already been sitting on this decision for a couple of months. And most likely, the new Pearl will have OS5.0 which won't work with my keyboard, either. So like the 9700, if a new Pearl ever comes out for T-Mobile, would cost me up to $300 ($100 or so for the new phone, $125 for a new keyboard that works with OS5.0, and $50 for Docs2Go).

I wish T-Mobile would give me a 9700 for free. I finished my last agreement with them almost a year ago but they still consider me an "upgrade" rather than a new customer. If they are giving 9700's away to new customer then I guess people like me would be subsidizing since I still have to pay over $100 for one with a new contract.

I never owned any smartphone except Blackberry (8100 then 8900) so I don't know if I would like the Dash 3G or not. Seemed okay in the store but it's hard to judge in detail during such a short period. I would have expected longer support from Blackberry than Windows Mobile but maybe I just struck out during the technology cycle this time.
    06-22-10 07:57 PM
    You're better off with and HTC HD2.
    06-23-10 06:23 PM
    I wouldn't go with a Dash 3G.

It's pure speculation but I imagine you won't have to wait TOO much longer for a 3G Pearl. I say this because I know that it has come out already on some carriers (Bell, Rogers, and telus according the BB website). Shouldn't be too long before we see a US release.

If you can't wait, the Bold 9700 is a good way to go. I'd see if they would give you a deep discounted price or even for free.
    06-23-10 07:44 PM
    You're better off with and HTC HD2.
    ...a 3G Pearl...
    ...the Bold 9700 is a good way to go. I'd see if they would give you a deep discounted price or even for free.

I'm sure all three of those are nice phones but they won't work with my Freedom Universal keyboard. No way I can work without that.

And the HD2 is $200! I have asked for a better deal on the 9700 but they said no.

I wouldn't go with a Dash 3G.
    So I've heard but why is that? If there is something really wrong with it, I'd rather hear about it before I get one than after.

Thanks for replying!
    06-24-10 06:34 AM
    Actually the hd2 is $99.99 and has been for a couple days....
    06-24-10 09:09 AM
    Actually the hd2 is $99.99 and has been for a couple days....
    Maybe, but apparently not for me. When I log in to the T-Mobile website and choose "upgrade", the price for the HD2 is $199.99 with a two-year contract. I don't really understand it but the HD2 also has notes about "$62.50 Equipment Installment down payment plus 3 Equipment Installment monthly payments of $62.50". I tried going in to the store today and the price was $199.99 there, too, even said so on the tag. I asked and was told the $99.99 price was only for new customers. Besides all that, I'm not even sure there's support for Windows Mobile 6.5 with my equipment.

The Dash 3G is free when I chose "upgrade". It doesn't even mention installment payments.
    06-25-10 02:27 AM
    Honestly I agree with most people here about not going with the Dash 3G.

Right now in terms of devices it is behind the times. I used it when it first came out for 2 months and found it to be slow (even on 3G), not user friendly, and the stupid proprietary headphone jack makes it practically useless as a media player. Yes I know it comes with an adapter, but you always have to remember to take it with you which is not convenient.

I found the WM software to be buggy and it lagged a lot when I accidently forgot to "clean up" using the task manager.

I used an HD2 for a couple of weeks (still use it as my media player for movies when on travel) and it is quite nice. Windows can be an issue there but not as much. I know it is a touchscreen, but it is the ultimate WM phone.

As for your keyboard: if you buy a Blackberry, you may not need it. I bang out a ton of e-mails on my work 8830 with no problems. Word documents are tricky but work ok on the 9700.

Anyway, good luck.
    06-25-10 10:15 AM
    Honestly I agree with most people here about not going with the Dash 3G.
    Thanks for the information. That's definitely the kind of stuff that I need to help make a decision. I can only get so deep into a phone using a demo in the store. Though I will say that the demo I used in the store appeared to have had a lot of "hands on" from customers but didn't lag that I could tell. Maybe it helped that the connection was very strong in the store, I don't know. I didn't know about or get to try the headphone jack, thanks for that information also. I was also able to actually use it side-by-side with their 9700 demo for some speed comparisons on the web and they were about equal. I thought the IE browser was better than the Blackberry browser, but then what one isn't? The 9700 had a much nicer screen in terms of definition but surprisingly to me, video on both phones were physically about the same size, I had thought the Dash's was smaller. The 9700 also had the better camera. I much preferred the keyboard on the Dash as the buttons are larger with more separation.

I used an HD2 for a couple of weeks (still use it as my media player for movies when on travel) and it is quite nice. Windows can be an issue there but not as much. I know it is a touchscreen, but it is the ultimate WM phone.
    I tried it in the store and I still do not like touch-screens. I did like the display, though, as it's much larger than any Blackberry (or the Dash) that T-Mobile offers. But the $200 price tag is out of the question for me and Freedom says compatibility with Windows Mobile 6.5 is "doubtful".

As for your keyboard: if you buy a Blackberry, you may not need it. I bang out a ton of e-mails on my work 8830 with no problems.
    I have been using my bluetooth keyboard for years with first the 8100 and then the 8900 and I can tell you immediately that there is no comparison to use it and using the phone's keyboard. With the bluetooth keyboard, I can ten-finger touch-type. I have no problem creating multi-page documents, e-mails, or notes at regular speed. I can use it in place of a laptop; I'd get a laptop in an instant if my employer would allow it but they only allow cellphones so this is the only option for me. Believe me, my co-workers envy me because they are only able to do small tasks on their phones even though most have much more expensives ones than I do (lots of i-Phones, Incredible, Palm Pre, etc., even a few Blackberries). Not everyone can ten-finger touch-type these days, I suppose, but believe me, if you can, you will be amazed at the capability of your phone using a bluetooth keyboard. When I do go to places that laptops are allowed and others drag out theirs, they are amazed that I am able to keep up on a cellphone. I consider my cellphone to be my main computer all of the time. I do have an old computer at home but I rarely use it other than to run my wi-fi network or to back-up my phone's information.

Word documents are tricky but work ok on the 9700.
    Yeah, about that, I have been going around with Dataviz about Word To Go because it doesn't appear to do the things that they say it does. They do reply but they have not been able to answer the problem so far. I've tried asking on these forums (under 3rd Party Apps) and received no replies at all, which I guess means everyone here is stumped as well. I know the 8900 is not the 9700 but it still should be up to the tasks that I'm asking, if their spec sheets can be believed. I've also used e-Office and it doesn't cut it, either. Mobile Office may not be the answer but at least you can get Office 2010.

Anyway, good luck.
    Thanks, I will need it!
    06-25-10 02:08 PM
    yeah the only thing I can think of is if you update to a newer kb that is compatible with your preferred phone.
    06-25-10 02:28 PM
    Sounds like you are pretty dead set on the Dash, just go that route.

06-26-10 12:25 PM
    I wanted to thank everyone for their advice. You all really helped me make my decision. I decided to get a Dash 3G and now that the trial period is about up, I can say for sure that it was the right choice for me.

Thanks also to grahamf, you were totally right about Office Mobile being the best match for Microsoft Office. I have been able to work with all of my documents so much better with Office Mobile. Even the notepad is superior, you can actually format text unlike on the 8900, and so far, I haven't run into a character limit or slowdowns on larger documents.

ActiveSync is also excellent, no rituals to go through like I had to do with the 8900 to connect or transfer data, just plug-in and forget about it. I didn't know if I would have trouble making a change from Blackberry to Windows Mobile but it was actually very easy since it's basically like Windows. I prefer the TaskManager on my Dash 3G to the "switch application" function of the Blackberry, too. I thought e-mail would be a lot different but I'm using GMail push which works just as well for me as it did before. Same goes for web browsing since I am using Opera Mini just like before. I don't know if it's the hardware or software but everything seems faster on the web.

To my surprise, my Freedom bluetooth keyboard works even better with the Dash 3G (and I guess Windows Mobile) than it ever did for either my 8100 or 8900. There was always a little bit of lag on the Blackberry that I just got used to but none at all on the Dash 3G. Even better, all of the function keys work correctly; I had just gotten used to work-arounds using it with my Blackberry. Connecting with bluetooth is rock-solid, no drops or misses like I had gotten used to with the Blackberry. The Dash 3G's battery doesn't run down from leaving the bluetooth connected all day, either, it barely even uses any of the phone's charge like it did on the 8900. I feel like I got a new keyboard out of the deal.

Slingbox works excellent with 3G, basically as well as when using wi-fi at home (of course, I don't need it at home). The Dash 3G is free so my only cost was $60 for a slingbox and software, not bad at all.

I'm not sure what the complaint of the headphone jack is all about. Mine came with a stereo headset with microphone. It does use a USB connector instead of the usual type but I don't have any problem with that. It does come with an adapter so that you can plug "regular" headphones in to it but you don't have to use it at all so it doesn't bother me. In fact, you can use the adapter to let four people listen to headphones at same time since it has several jacks, if you wanted to.

The packed-in wall adapter is really nice, it's a USB data/power cable that can plug into the included wall plug. The wall plug is also a combination US/International outlet connector. I now only need to take one cable with me instead of two.

I still think the 8900 is a nice phone. The screen is nicer and it's a good media player. The camera is better, too. I'll miss the Amazon and eBay apps. My S/O is going to take the 8900 off my hands because she only uses the phone, camera, and media player on her current phone anyways. She's usually by a good wi-fi connection so she can probably get free data, too.

I'm sure I'll have problems, no cell is perfect. But so far, I'm very pleased. If you are looking for a good free smartphone, I think the Dash 3G is worth a look. And I still recommend a bluetooth keyboard to anybody that does a lot of typing on their phone.

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Last edited by Bones Justice; 07-08-10 at 12:56 AM.
    07-08-10 12:40 AM
    You said 3G & T-Mo = The only 3G on T-Mo as of now is the 9700. If not a BB, for business? I don't know, you said no touch so that takes the MyTSlide away... But the Dash 3G? I had the first Dash... No comment. My dad wanted it and now he regrets it and will change phone soon. Not only the, first Dash at least, had a horrible LOW volume, like even with the the volume at the max you could barely hear the other party... but WinMo isn't good and you'll hate to have to restart the phone every other day for emory leakage, especially if you use it as much as it seems you do. Just my two cents.
    07-10-10 05:36 PM
    As an FYI - I did purchase the premium version of Docs to Go for $20 from Dataviz while I had my 8900 using the 5.0 OS. It worked great for me - and transfered to my 9700 with no problem. They do offer the upgrade from time to time for the discount price.

07-12-10 11:13 AM
    I had the Dash for 6 months. A horrible FAIL. Phone was incredibly unstable, froze ALL the time, finally, after MANY calls to T-Mo they sent me a 8320. I'm on a 9700. Will NEVER get another WinMo phone. BB has always been incredibly good to me. OP, it sounds like you mind is made up, though. Buy the Dash. That IS what you want...

Edit: Didn't see you bought the Dash...Good luck with that.
    07-12-10 12:23 PM
    You said 3G & T-Mo = The only 3G on T-Mo as of now is the 9700. If not a BB, for business? I don't know, you said no touch so that takes the MyTSlide away... But the Dash 3G? I had the first Dash... No comment. My dad wanted it and now he regrets it and will change phone soon. Not only the, first Dash at least, had a horrible LOW volume, like even with the the volume at the max you could barely hear the other party... but WinMo isn't good and you'll hate to have to restart the phone every other day for emory leakage, especially if you use it as much as it seems you do. Just my two cents.
    Hummm the comment about restarting the phone due to memory leakage sounds like an awful lot of threads here on crackberry.
    07-12-10 12:41 PM
    Hummm the comment about restarting the phone due to memory leakage sounds like an awful lot of threads here on crackberry.
    And that's ok, afterall they run on that... but when you have to reastart your phone every other week, thats ok... but when you have to restart almost everyday... big diff. Not to mention that the people who need to restart due to leakage memory use their cell WAY too much. I restart my 9700 about... 1 or 2 a month. And it runs fine. The Dash, even without any heavy usage would drop from 22 MB, to 11 just because you had IE open.
    07-12-10 10:18 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD