i was speaking to a rep about a billing issue (i was late on my bill and i was near getting cut off ...oops) i noticed that Talkspot was added to my account and it had to been recently cause i don't remember it being there the last time i looked online, she told me that she couldn't find it on her side but its visibly on my side when i view plans & packages through the new MyRogers page.

I tweeted about it and got told by @RogersHelps and @Rogers_MJ that rogers doesn't randomly add things to customer's accounts but seriously i didn't ask for it, in the pic i don't pay for it, i've never called retentions cause i pay a reasonable amount of money to rogers

when i had a iphone it wasn't there, only after i got my 9700 is when it appears, i do use wifi on my 9700 but that shouldn't cause this to appear, i dunno what to say really

anyone else have it on their account at random ?
    02-21-10 07:29 PM
    Yeah I saw that too on my account. I think it's an addition part of a value pack i guess .. It's to be able to use UMA to make phone calls and all... Not sure if they charge extra but i dont think so...
    02-21-10 08:00 PM
    I wonder if Rogers is getting ready to roll out UMA support for the 9700 and other 3G devices?
    02-22-10 07:57 AM
    I hope so. But don't hold your breath

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 08:27 AM
    Talkspot has nothing to do with UMA in general, I have no Talkspot and can still make UMA calls. It just means you get a Rogers branded router and get to talk for free locally or anywhere in Canada for free depending on what you pay for.
    02-22-10 09:43 AM
    Talkspot has nothing to do with UMA in general, I have no Talkspot and can still make UMA calls. It just means you get a Rogers branded router and get to talk for free locally or anywhere in Canada for free depending on what you pay for.
    You have an 8900, like me, so UMA works with/without TalkSpot. But with the 9700 (and other 3G devices) isn't UMA crippled with Rogers?
    02-22-10 09:50 AM
    Hmm... I was curious so I checked my on-line info and I also have the TalkSpot entry, but have never asked for it and am not being billed for it... here's a screen shot:

Strange...

EDIT: Note, this only shows up when using the *beta* MyRogers web interface. If I use the normal one, this Talkspot entry does not show up. I suspect this is a bug in the beta web interface.
    Last edited by shabbs; 02-22-10 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Updated info.
    02-22-10 12:44 PM
    i don't have a rogers router... and talkspot shows up for my 9700, not a big deal i just wanted to point it out
    02-22-10 07:51 PM
    Has anyone called in to ask about it and if it has indeed been "enabled" on their profile? I'm curious if it would allow for TalkSpot Local or TalkSpot Canada-wide benefits. Hmmm...
    02-23-10 07:39 AM
    Yep. I noticed the same thing on my account while checking out my account balance via the beta web interface. however, when I check my account status through my blackberry, it doesn't show up.

I'm not sure what that means though.
    02-23-10 10:02 PM
    I actually spoke to a Rep about it. Apparently it's not on your account, which explains why you're not being charged for it. It shows up on the profiles of those who are eligible for it, and if they so choose, they can simply add it on to their plan for the monthly subscription price.
    02-25-10 01:33 AM
    Talkspot = UMA.
    UMA is the the technology that the Talkspot feature uses.

If you don't have Talkspot in your contract, you can still use UMA to make/recieve calls, but those calls still get billed. So it helps if you are somewhere that doesn't have coverage (hmmm imagine that with Rogers), but does have wifi. Wherease if you have Talkspot making a wifi call in canada does not use your minutes or LD.

Any router with WiFi will work. The rogers router is just a regular linksys with some uma optimizations. There are tips for setting up QoS and DMZ on any router for UMA, which will make that router just as good (or better) as the rogers one. Basically your are just bumping the priority of the UMA packets, and placing your phone on a DMZ, to bypass routers firewall.

~S
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 02-26-10 at 01:54 PM.
    02-26-10 01:51 PM
    9700 = 3g device, with rogers it mean no uma yet (their system is not capable of doing 3g over uma right now), my rep said they are trying to upgrade their system in the summer of this year
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 02-26-10 at 06:57 PM.
    02-26-10 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD