Attention: News Alert: My BB 8310 has apparently been abducted by aliens overnight and returned to Earth bearing alien appendages that the BB did not have before.

Run while you still can, who knows when BB uses themselves might be abducted, altered and then returned to their beds with unspeakable horrors.

Seriously, what gives Rogers/RIM the right to alter my software configuration on my BB? If I want an app I'll go and get it. Don't put it on my main screen, replacing reliably locatable apps like my calendar and addy book and surprise me with it first thing in the morning.

Yes, I understand that these are simply shortcuts and I need not install the apps if I don't want them but that does not mitigate the intrusiveness.

Further are these app shortcuts now embedded like others and not able to be removed with the desktop software? If so off to the hidden folder to be shunned and unused for all eternity... bad apps... bad Rogers... you have been shunned and your unwanted apps are hereby sent to the netherland.

Sheeesh.
    11-21-08 06:53 AM
    K- that's how Blackberries work. It's called Service Books...when new apps come out that are going to be made standard on all new Blackberries they push the new service books to your BB.

The apps are not installed on your Blackberry they're simply the service books icon. If you don't want the apps just hide the icons. You can't remove them with desktop manager because THEY AREN'T INSTALLED! Just like Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger, the icons are there but the app isn't installed until you click on it to install it. It doesn't take up any memory or anything.

So get used to it- that's just how Blackberries work. The push feature is WHY people buy Blackberries. Deal with it.

*Edit* Just re-sent my service books and I did indeed get the new Yahoo messenger, Flickr, and MySpace icons. Off they go to be hidden since I don't use any of those. It's nice to know Rogers keeps their RIM servers up to date!
    Last edited by Navan; 11-21-08 at 12:46 PM.
    11-21-08 12:37 PM
    That dude is right. The app isn't installed on ur phone. They just pushed the service book to ur device. It happened to me too I think yesterday and yeah I'm on rogers too. I just hide the icon. U can delete the service book but it will come back the next time u restart ur phone.

Its no biggie.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 12:46 PM
    Well thanks, Navan, for the tactful, informative and pleasant response. I feel blessed by your knowledge and appreciate you taking the time from your busy day to be so helpful.

11-21-08 12:49 PM
    Well, you write a rediculous post you get a rediculous answer!

11-21-08 02:56 PM
    You need a Bold, then new apps will show up in your downloads folder not on your main screen :P
    11-21-08 05:28 PM
    Hmm, re-sent my SB's as well, no new apps? Maybe the Bold doesn't get them yet?
    11-21-08 05:33 PM
    Nothing yet on mine...I'll deal with it when it gets there
    11-21-08 06:15 PM
    They did show up on my Bold..but just hid them.
    11-21-08 07:39 PM
    Mine popped up this morning (this was after a shutdown during charging and pull of battery before turning it back on). It's in my downloads folder anyhow...which I rarely use. Ah well, it's there if I need it.
    11-22-08 07:23 AM
    showe dup on mine as well
    11-22-08 07:48 AM
    Sure it may not take up much more resources on my pearl, but I'm paying for bandwidth so the icons etc. that Rogers is downloading without my permission is being paid for by me.

If I want applications, I can get them - I don't like shortcuts to downloading them being put on **my** device without my permission.

I can't imagine that we'd be too happy if other providers were downloading "convenient, quick links" to our desktop PCs, so why is it ok on our blackberries?
    11-22-08 01:53 PM
    Ah, got em now.
    11-22-08 02:35 PM
    Sure it may not take up much more resources on my pearl, but I'm paying for bandwidth so the icons etc. that Rogers is downloading without my permission is being paid for by me.

If I want applications, I can get them - I don't like shortcuts to downloading them being put on **my** device without my permission.

I can't imagine that we'd be too happy if other providers were downloading "convenient, quick links" to our desktop PCs, so why is it ok on our blackberries?
    Because it takes up such a negligable amount of resources that it's not even worth fighting about. Service books are REQUIRED for our devices to function- without service books your email and everything else doesn't work. Rogers can't keep a special list of who wants what service books so we call get them. Again, it's NOT the applications, it's JUST an icon. If you don't like it, go get an iPhone- that's how Blackberries work. Once again I say deal with it.
    11-22-08 05:30 PM
    Aww you guys get all the fun getting new things, I still haven't got anything after re-sending my service books.

Oh well, not like ill be using either of those applications, its just a shame they don't add better applications more frequently thay are available for down

11-23-08 09:56 AM
    Aww you guys get all the fun getting new things, I still haven't got anything after re-sending my service books.

Oh well, not like ill be using either of those applications, its just a shame they don't add better applications more frequently thay are available for down

Odd...
    ...but then again, when I read about this the first time around, I didn't get it either. Only after I turned my phone off for an overnight recharge and did a battery pull, the icons came up.
    11-23-08 11:30 AM
    Well, you write a rediculous post you get a rediculous answer!

In all my years bouncing around this planet I can assure you that I have not once written a rediculous post anywhere. I have been known to have written a few ridiculous ones though.

My some of the people here are cranky. Had you read my entire post you would have noticed that it was in good humour. I do however still object to unwanted shortcuts being added, service books or no. And if I wanted an Iphone I would have bought one. Can't stand the idea of a touch-screen though. I am touch-screen-aphobic. My wife is contstantly touching my screen and it brings me to fits of anxiety. Perhaps a good Christian councellor would help?
    Peace.
    11-25-08 05:45 PM

They showed up in my 'Downloads' folder item (before I hid them all). Maybe that helps (maybe it doesn't)
    11-30-08 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD