I've been through 4 Droid units so far:

1st Unit -- Dead/burnt out pixel.
    2nd Unit -- Laggy keyboard/jumpy signal ( ).
    3rd Unit -- Dent/scratch on lip of the phone brand new right out of the box.
    4th Unit -- Lint/hair stuck under the screen.

I got to examine the 4th unit before the rep activated it and since I was an hour and a half into my lunch break I merely looked over the phone for dents or scratches. Well, when I got back to the office I noticed the lint particle under the screen. So I called customer service and the rep told me to take it back, being that it was my forth phone I asked if I could return it at another store and try my luck elsewhere. The rep said sure and made a note on my account.

*Here's where it gets good*

I show up at the other store and the rep looks at the phone and goes to the back to talk to his manager. He comes back out acknowledges the lint/particle exists but says he can't replace it because he spoke to the manager at the other store and because I examined the phone and accepted it I now have to stick with it?!? Plus from the time I left the other store to the time I showed up at the second store I could have done something to cause the piece of lint/particle to show up?!? At that point I said no more and just decided to leave the store and call customer service from my phone. They tell me to go back the original store and talk to the manager. Additionally, they tell me since the lint particle does not affect the functionality of the phone their policy is not to replace it?!? They also tell me since the phone has been swapped out once before I can no longer return the phone for a full refund?!?

At this point I'm so sick of dealing with Verizon that I'll stick with the unit I currently have. Other than the issues I've been experiencing, I'm generally satisfied with the phone (especially the Android OS). However, I have to say I'm disappointed with the level of customer service displayed by VZ. How can you not replace a phone with a piece of lint under the screen? And how can you accuse a customer of wrong doing by indicating that he/she had something to do with the existence of the lint particle?
    11-23-09 09:59 PM
    To be fair, VZW has gone quite far in trying to accomodate you by supplying roughly $2200 worth of phones to you for a subsidized price. Now, what you do with said phones is not my buisness, but there comes an assumption of responsibility to the end user of said phones after the purchase. I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    11-23-09 10:13 PM
    I agree with the op. Vzw should take responsibility. There is no reason why lint should even get under the screen. Vzw has crappy policis in place and don't care if they loose a customer and 5000 a year from that customer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 10:28 PM
    To be fair, VZW has gone quite far in trying to accomodate you by supplying roughly $2200 worth of phones to you for a subsidized price. Now, what you do with said phones is not my buisness, but there comes an assumption of responsibility to the end user of said phones after the purchase. I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    To be fair, he is getting phones defective right out of the box - VZW hasn't gone far enough.

His issues are all known issues with the Droid - crap ends up under the screens anywhere from production to 6 months, dead pixels - again, out of the box all the way up to 6 months - the QC is typical Moto & the MTBF rating of the Moto Droid screen is abysmal. Laggy input, memory overruns, poor CPU cycling - sounds a bit like the Storm and millions of idiots got suckered by a manufacturer & VZW there too.

The attitude by reps here regarding "how much money VZW has invested" is proof of the poor CS culture in place at VZW - and the reps are too ignorant to even see it.

Piece of Moto junk peddled by a carrier who peddles mostly junk. But hey - the sheep are impressed because they can get a signal somewhere they will never go, but just in case...
    11-23-09 10:29 PM
    The funny thing is its under warranty and would go straight back to the mnufacturer and vzw gets credit for the phone as long as there is no water damage.

11-23-09 10:31 PM
    I love how the reps always stick up for vzw when its the customers that let them keep there jobs making 11 dollars per hour. Lol

11-23-09 10:34 PM
    The funny thing is its under warranty and would go straight back to the mnufacturer and vzw gets credit for the phone as long as there is no water damage.
    Exactly - and they would get full credit back for the warranty exchange - which is nowhere close to the retail price - so don't pay a second's notice to Aaron's $2200 claim - even without warranty reimbursement, the total VZW would be out would be less than $500.
    11-23-09 10:35 PM
    The $2200 is referring to the MSRP if you buy the phone outright 4 times according to verizon's page on phone prices
    11-23-09 10:38 PM
    They would make that back in a heartbeat. Especially since my bill is over 300 a month. They would rather see you leave and go somewhere else before going out of there way to fix the problem.

11-23-09 10:40 PM
    Wow msrp its under warranty dude. There is no cost. Wow.

11-23-09 10:41 PM
    We are talkng about replcement warranty phones. The only cost is vzw has to pay to ship them around. The hardware is free from the manufacturer as long as there is no water damage so please don't insult us.

11-23-09 10:48 PM
    Wow msrp its under warranty dude. There is no cost. Wow.

No cost? Really? Do the phones magically appear out of thin air? Whether or not it is under warranty, there is a cost associated with the phones. Whether or not the customer sees that cost or not is irrelavant. Someone has to take the bill for it at some point.
    11-23-09 10:49 PM
    Apparently you can't read since I explained it before. Yes there is. Cost. Vzw pays the shippingg and the mnufacturer replces the phone or issues vzw credit for it as long as there is no water damage. Please don't repeat yourself cause you are making me repeat myself.

11-23-09 10:56 PM
    The cost of warranty claims is built into the original retail price of the phone. VZW absorbs no cost of doing a claim, unless its over the phone and they pay for shipping, but the mfg might reimburse for that as well. Your posts here demonstrate that you know very little about doing business, reselling, and the supply chain. That's like you saying it costs walmart money to exchange a faulty TV. In reality the only true cost to the reseller in the long run is the wage of the person behind the counter

11-23-09 11:01 PM
    I understand at the end of the day that this is a business and people have to make money. I'm not doubting or discounting the fact that everything costs someone money. I like all three companies involved and would like to see all three companies succeed.

The issue I have is the level of service I received from certain Verizon reps. The guy at the store literally accused me of wrong doing, like I had a hand in the lint particle appearing. Comeon, you really think I like sitting at the Verizon store for hours on end waiting for a non-defective phone to be handed to me? All issues aside just put yourself in my shoes, would you want a phone with a piece of lint stuck on the screen?
    11-23-09 11:09 PM
    The $2200 is referring to the MSRP if you buy the phone outright 4 times according to verizon's page on phone prices
    Aaron - since when does VZW pay MSRP for a phone? They pay contracted wholesale - take the lowest price they offer the phone for - you have an approximation of that wholesale.

They do a warranty - they send back 100 & Moto credits them for 100 phones. No cost to the carrier other than the bobblehead at the counter or on the phone.

11-23-09 11:10 PM
    To the op I just wanna make sure you know my post wasn't aimed at you

11-23-09 11:19 PM
    To the op I just wanna make sure you know my post wasn't aimed at you

Complete understood your post.
    11-23-09 11:27 PM
    I understand at the end of the day that this is a business and people have to make money. I'm not doubting or discounting the fact that everything costs someone money. I like all three companies involved and would like to see all three companies succeed.

The issue I have is the level of service I received from certain Verizon reps. The guy at the store literally accused me of wrong doing, like I had a hand in the lint particle appearing. Comeon, you really think I like sitting at the Verizon store for hours on end waiting for a non-defective phone to be handed to me? All issues aside just put yourself in my shoes, would you want a phone with a piece of lint stuck on the screen?
    You have to understand that once the device leaves the store they have no way of knowing how it happened. Given that you looked the phone over, and after 3 bad units it would be assumed you did a thorough inspection, they have to assume that the phone was perfect when you left. It then falls on the store management to decide whether they want to give you another one or just cut bait and at that point you can call CS and do the replacement over the phone. Not being in the store when you were there none of us know how you treated eachother on any of the exchanges but both stores are well within their rights to stop their efforts.
    11-23-09 11:29 PM
    So I will admit that i'm not an expert on supply chains, manufacturer costs, etc. and i'm not going to win anything on this anytime soon, so i'll wave my own white flag.. Although it still just seems rediculous to go through that many phones and expect to be catered to every time.
    11-23-09 11:36 PM
    So I will admit that i'm not an expert on supply chains, manufacturer costs, etc. and i'm not going to win anything on this anytime soon, so i'll wave my own white flag.. Although it still just seems rediculous to go through that many phones and expect to be catered to every time.
    I only went through 2 phones as the third phone was a dud out of the box (even the rep said wow were sending this one back with a note on it). Image the people that went through 6 BB Tours. I'm not the least bit happy about this as the next guy. I just want a phone without issues and I do not want to be accused of inducing defects. Is this too much to ask for?
    11-23-09 11:49 PM
    OP :I'd suggest you get a replacement over the phone or ask for for a superviser and complain regarding the Manager in the store.
    11-23-09 11:54 PM
    They would make that back in a heartbeat. Especially since my bill is over 300 a month. They would rather see you leave and go somewhere else before going out of there way to fix the problem.
    Are you serious? They wouldn't lead their industry in customer satisfaction, and lead their industry in lowest postpaid customer churn if this was the case...

As for getting the OP's Droid getting replaced, its probably easier to do it over the phone than it is in the store. But don't start complaining or ask for a supervisor, it won't get you anywhere... Just explain the situation, and since its been within 30 days they should be able to send you out a new device per yours being DOA...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 11-24-09 at 03:59 AM.
    11-24-09 03:56 AM
    I love how the reps always stick up for vzw when its the customers that let them keep there jobs making 11 dollars per hour. Lol

Just to let you know you have no idea what the **** you're talking about. You lose. Good day.

11-24-09 04:18 AM
    Also that word that is starred out starts with an h has an e in the middle and ends with two l's

11-24-09 04:19 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD