I took my phone into Alltel today and told them what's been going on. My phone just stopped working the other night as i had it in pocket. I take it out of my pocket and it is turned off. I turn it back on and can see the messages and everything on my home screen, but the trackball nor the keyboard work. As soon as the display turns off I have to plug it in to turn it back on as pushing no buttons work. So here is my story...

Me- "My phone stopped working, it loads up and I can see that I am getting text messages and phone calls, but the trackball and keryboard both don't work."

Lady Worker- "Ohh, really? I've been working with these quite a bit so I have a few tricks that might work. Let me see it."

Five minutes later...

Lady Worker- "Hmmmm, now it won't even turn on?

Five minutes later she walks back out...

Lady Worker- "Did you drop this in water? See your battery? Looks different than this one."

Me - "Yeah, I did about 3 or 4 months ago, but it has been working since."

Lady Worker- "Well, sometimes the water will settle and dry and it will work fine. But then it will sink in even more and for whatever reason the phone will stop working. You need to call this # and file an insurance claim."

I proceed on home and call the insurance number only to find out the insurance is not on my phone. We have paperwork showing that we purchased insurance so I make a trip back up to the alltel store. I find out that the lady working forgot to activate the insurance when we bought it so the only thing I can do is pay for insurance now, use a crappy razr phone for a month, and then file an insurance claim. Meanwhile, this month I still have to pay for my blackberry data plan even though I have a razr that is incapable of such things as the blackberry obviously.

WOW, I was irate and still am irate.

This can't be right...
    09-12-08 11:14 PM
    I work for alltel:

Its not right. Call customer service at *611 and make them fix the situation. Im PM-ing you my email so you can contact me if they give you more trouble.
    09-12-08 11:37 PM
    I work for alltel:

Its not right. Call customer service at *611 and make them fix the situation. Im PM-ing you my email so you can contact me if they give you more trouble.
    If by chance you actually work for Alltel, you certainly know that any phone that has gotten wet at any time, is no longer covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

If the phone will not turn on there is no way to 'fix' the situation.

You also know that the proper response (not corporate, but honest) woukd be to take the insurance proof to the store and speak to the manager. Be as polite as possible and if the manager has half a brain, he will swap it out (this is up to the store nobody can say they have to).

If you work for Alltel, or even if you don't, stop the misinformation and making my job (yours too if you are an Alltel rep) more difficult.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-08 01:03 AM
    I would call customer service, tell them of the rep's mistake. Fax them proof of insurance if neccessary. If they still won't help. Threaten to cancel your contract, some reps will call your bluff. Most are eager to help. Be polite though!

09-13-08 01:13 AM
    So how long have you had your blackberry? You never noticed not being charged insurance at $7 per month? Hmmm The only thing that could be done is if the store would do an in house ins claim. You would have to pay for every month you had the phone ( $7 x whatever) plus $95. I have had to do a few of these. It would have to be approved by the SM.
    09-13-08 01:29 AM
    To kwacker:

My BB still under 1 year manufacture's warranty. Two days ago, I already asked for a replacement for my Curve because the trackball doesn't work properly.
    I know that I will receive a "reconditioned" phone, but the word "refurbished" makes me worry about the quality of the pleacement phone.
    Can you leave me any comment about the quality and domestic condition of the "refurbished" phone?
    09-13-08 08:18 AM
    i think that that is wrong... if ou should be entitled to a new phone. thats just stupid if you cant get anything but refurbished.--- not happy
    and where is my stinkin MMS Alltel?
    09-13-08 08:41 AM
    Sorry but if I dropped mine in water I would have called into the insurance the next day. Yeah it still worked but in the long run something will happen.and like someone mentioned above how did u miss the 7.00 not on your bill every month. Hopefully u have your orginal receipt to show insurance was on there. I did an insurance claim on my curve because I lost it the next day I called and they gave me a choice mail one or go into the store. I went into the store paid the 95 and walked out with a brand new curve new box and everything. Good luck

09-13-08 09:32 AM
    $95? Holy crap. I paid $50.
    09-13-08 09:53 AM
    95 for smartphones.. 50 for regular

09-13-08 10:08 AM
    And how about the "processing fee"?
    They said if you are not in warranty, you have to pay $50 for "processing fee". I really don't what that fee mean?
    09-13-08 10:54 AM
    I call that a money grab. They gotta get money somehow.
    09-13-08 12:03 PM
    more than likely it will be a brand new curve because it has not been out for very long so there is not many refurbs out there.
    09-13-08 01:09 PM
    I hope my replacement will be a brand new one, it should be ...
    09-13-08 01:16 PM
    And how about the "processing fee"?
    They said if you are not in warranty, you have to pay $50 for "processing fee". I really don't what that fee mean?
    There is no such thing as a 'processing fee' on an insurance claim - you have a $95 deductible. That's it.
    09-13-08 03:08 PM
    Does it matter if I have my plan from an authorized agent and not an "actual" Alltel store or whatever you call it?

I've been at college for 4 months so I don't even look at the bill, me and mom share a plan so she pays for it monthly.

I did not bring my curve back after I dropped it in water because it was working absolutely fine. Why pay $95 for possibly a refurb one when my new one was still in fine working condition.

Back to my original question though, does it matter that I have this plan through an authorized agent and not an actual store?
    09-13-08 04:54 PM
    All plans run through Alltel's billing and service systems. Doesn't matter if it was set up at an authorized agent, a retail store, online or over the phone.
    Warranty rules are the same as well. Doesn't matter where you purchased or activated the phone.

09-13-08 05:35 PM
    more than likely it will be a brand new curve because it has not been out for very long so there is not many refurbs out there.
    I have a refurb curve and it works great... I got upgraded to mine due to MANY issues with an HTC product through alltel
    09-13-08 05:42 PM
    Damn, that sucks. That's straight up phone rapeage. I would call Alltell

09-13-08 05:42 PM
    So I should call customer service and let them know what happened?
    I have always had MUCH better luck in the corporate stores. Reps are usually more apt to help you put if you are in front of them..

BTW, refurbed phones have the SAME warranty as brand new. AND if they do not have any refurbed curves in the store which could be the case because they are so new, they should give you a new one
    09-13-08 05:48 PM
    So I need to go into a corporate store even though I bought it from an authorized agent?
    09-13-08 05:52 PM
    So I need to go into a corporate store even though I bought it from an authorized agent?

Do you NEED to.... No

Would I.... Yes

and... 100th post
    09-13-08 05:59 PM
    I'll definitely give them a call.

I'll let everyone know what comes of it.
    09-13-08 06:05 PM
    My replacement will arrive next week. I hope I will receive a good one.
    But I wonder that,is my warranty expanded as I receive a new replace?
    09-13-08 06:22 PM
    Warranty goes from original date of purchase or 90 from the exchange, whichever is longer.
    Only insurance claims (which should be new phones but don't have to be) start the warranty clock over.

09-13-08 09:00 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD