When I turned my BB on this morning after about 20 minutes it began rebooting as if I did a batt pull. As soon as it cycled through everything and verifiying the software, it rebooted again., and again, and again. I noticed that if I hold down the "cancel" (the little red phone key); it will get to the point where I can view my calls and view emails; maybe even make a short call. It'll stay on for about 3 or 4 minutes then re-boot. This is sooo annoying and frustrating. I've not added anything new or changed anything. There is one thing. I opted for the trial version of BeeJive which just expired.

Here's my delinma, other than what's mentioned above. I spoke with AT&T and they are advising me to download and reinstall the OS. I upgraded to 4.5 about a month ago and as you know their latest version is 4.2. I will have to downgrade my DM and OS.

Could this be my problem - 4.5 OS? I would rather not go back to 4.2 if I can help it. Please say it aint so.

Inquiring Minds...
    Thanks.
    12-04-08 12:43 PM
    I have that same problem only when I am at my parents house. When I leave their house my phone is back to normal. I even set it up to where I wasn't connected to the network and it still was rebooting. It was the weirdest thing. Then I was on 4.2 and did have beejive but still if you go wirelessly like on a plane you would think it would be fine.

I will be at my parents house this weekend with no beejive and 4.5 so we will see what happens.
    12-04-08 01:00 PM
    I too have this problem. AT&T sent me a replacement phone last week, and now the replacement is doing the same thing. I have another new Curve on the way now. The manager at my local AT&T store said, in my case, it's definitely a hardware issue. CNBrown, if you do replace the OS, and it makes a difference, would you please update here? I'm still running 4.2, but I'd like to know if a re-install makes a difference.
    12-05-08 07:39 PM
    Just downgrade and reupgrade again. Sounds like something might have gotten messed up when you upgraded to 4.5 and it just needs a refresh. Make sure to back up before you do it!
    12-05-08 07:53 PM
    Thanks you guys. I was beginning to think I was the only one. I tried doing a reload from a recent back up -- didn't work. I'm going to go ahead and downgrade eventhough I hate to but I have no choice.

I'll let you know what happens.
    12-05-08 10:15 PM
    Almost certaily this is caused by your Media Card if you have one. Under OS 4.5 you often need to re-format it before it works properly. Try removing it as a test.

If it is not the Media Card then remove all apps except the onse delivered with the OS.

If that does not fix it then you may have to downgrade. I am now on my 3rd 8310 because the first two would not run OS 4.5.
    12-05-08 10:20 PM
    Almost certaily this is caused by your Media Card if you have one. Under OS 4.5 you often need to re-format it before it works properly. Try removing it as a test.

If it is not the Media Card then remove all apps except the onse delivered with the OS.

If that does not fix it then you may have to downgrade. I am now on my 3rd 8310 because the first two would not run OS 4.5.
    I removed the card and it hasn't rebooted. If it stays on, how do I reformat the card? Forgive me if that's a stoooopid question.
    12-05-08 11:13 PM
    OK.. I removed the card and it stayed on with no issues (still on OS 4.5). I reformatted the card, put everything back on the card, plugged it back into my phone, turned it on, and... it rebooted like before.

Pete, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all eyes.

Thanks so much for your help on this. Blackberry 101 was helpful in finding out how to reformat, too. Truly that has so much useful/helpful information.
    12-06-08 01:38 AM
    How did the phone behave with no Media Card in it? If it was OK, then maybe you have a dud card.

Frankly this is not a good sign. A small percentage of Curves will just not run OS 4.5. I had one, possibly two (I was still learning).

I put OS 4.2 back on both and sold them on ebay as perfectly working phones.

My current 8310 which I also bought on ebay (3rd time lucky, right) runs OS 4.5 perfectly.

Here's the thread I created when I began to have trouble http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/os-...ia-card-43159/

I was also told by a BlackBerry hardware repair tech that the battery sometimes causes these reboots. I changed my battery about 4 times and thre was no obserable difference.

I will give all the help I can as I know, 1st hand, just how frustrating this problem is.
    12-06-08 06:41 AM
    I think I've figured out 1 or 2 things about all this. 1) Perhaps you're right that there are a few (mine maybe be one) that won't accept 4.5. I'm thinking there's a reason AT&T hasn't released it. 2) Maybe my micro card IS a dud, but I'll use that as a last resort. It seems whatever the deal is, its tied between 4.5 and the card.

I thought about going to the next level of 4.5 and see what happens before going back to 4.2.

Bottom line assessment - curve vs 4.5 vs 2gig micro card -- any of these could be bad mixtures. Somewhere I have to get the strength to do process of elemination.

Put on the coffee - it's going to be a long night.
    12-06-08 02:01 PM
    I think I've figured out 1 or 2 things about all this. 1) Perhaps you're right that there are a few (mine maybe be one) that won't accept 4.5. I'm thinking there's a reason AT&T hasn't released it. 2) Maybe my micro card IS a dud, but I'll use that as a last resort. It seems whatever the deal is, its tied between 4.5 and the card.

I thought about going to the next level of 4.5 and see what happens before going back to 4.2.

Bottom line assessment - curve vs 4.5 vs 2gig micro card -- any of these could be bad mixtures. Somewhere I have to get the strength to do process of elemination.

Put on the coffee - it's going to be a long night.
    You say you think that it's between the phone and the Media Card so given that the Media Card is a lot cheaper to replace than the phone, take the card out of the phone and see what then happens. Is the phone now stable? Take it from there.

Trrust me, if one version of OS 4.5 does not run on your phone then none of them will. I tried them all from .10 thru .102. It was a 100% fail. On my current phone, .102 is now completely stable.
    12-06-08 11:04 PM
    You say you think that it's between the phone and the Media Card so given that the Media Card is a lot cheaper to replace than the phone, take the card out of the phone and see what then happens. Is the phone now stable? Take it from there.

Trrust me, if one version of OS 4.5 does not run on your phone then none of them will. I tried them all from .10 thru .102. It was a 100% fail. On my current phone, .102 is now completely stable.
    Pete, you've been so helpful with all of this and I'm truly thankful. I decided to go back to 4.2, took a while because I had to wipe out the DM and re-do everything as 4.2. So far everything is working with the card. I'll leave things status quo and just be content with the lesser version. Now I only have to read to re-load my backed up 3rd party stuff.

Thanks again..
    12-07-08 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD