Today on CNBC Jim Cramer was talking about how bad AT&T 3G service is and stated that iPhone users are particularly dissatisfied. There was discussion of why Apple and AT&T won't criticize each other publicly but if I had to be I suspect Apple is not happy with AT&T right now.

As for me, i'm looking out a huge window on the 33rd floor of a hotel in a major US city and can see the entire city below me. Unfortunately, my 3G service fades in and out resulting in nearly 20 "call failed" episodes today alone. Can't even carry on a conversation without losing the call. When I checked in I asked the person at the front desk for a room with good AT&T reception. She told me to switch to Verizon.

And what about all those partial minutes used when the call fails and I have to dial again?

AT&T needs to fix this problem NOW and stop making excuses.
    12-14-09 07:08 PM
    Verizon wouldn't work that high either, it's called "Pilot Pollution." Basically your phone sees too many towers and bounces around all of them and gets call fails and drops. All carriers have problems with such a thing.
    12-15-09 08:39 AM
    I disagree. I have a Verizon backup phone that gets full signal strength all over the city including from my room.

I am a diehard AT&T fan since the days of SW Bell and Cingular. I love my Bold and want to stay on AT&T but they have done an absolutely awful job of maintaining service regardless of the iPhone. In 5 phone calls this morning I've had 3 call failures so far with lousy quality. Meanwhile my Verizon has perfect quality and 4 bands of signal. I'm in a major US city, not some rural area. This is totally unacceptable.
    12-15-09 01:12 PM
    Love at&t service, no problems at all.
    12-15-09 02:09 PM
    why not just use the verizon phone until you leave the hotel?
    12-15-09 02:20 PM
    When Cramer says something like that; they just want to take the stock down
    12-15-09 03:10 PM
    I didn't hear that much complaining about ATT until the witch hunt started. The power of suggestion, a good ad campaign and a hotel desk clerk can definitely tell inquiring minds what to know.

Fortunately, this is America and anyone unhappy with their carrier can switch. I tried VZW and it was as bad as they claim ATT is. I will say that I rarely had a dropped call, since you have to get a good enough signal to make a call before it can drop.
    12-15-09 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD