I'm a new customer of three weeks and just now found out that any mobile to any mobile minutes aren't free when roaming. Is there any strategy other than uping your minutes to avoid this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 07:22 PM
    none that i know of except dont roam :P how often do you roam???
    12-11-09 07:38 PM
    none that i know of except dont roam :P how often do you roam???
    Out of the 540 minutes they have me down for in 3 weeks-350 are roaming (mobile to mobile). I was hoping you could pay an extra charge not to roam- it doesn't appear so. She suggested I buy 100 increments of extra mins for $5 . I don't know if that'll work as a long term strategy-may have to shop elsewhere since I'm just three weeks in the contract.

12-11-09 07:53 PM
    holy $hitttt.... umm try calling sprint again and ask what to do... do you roam inside your house idk if Airwave helps with roaming someone care to help?
    12-11-09 08:05 PM
    So what does "any mobile-any time" mean.
    12-11-09 08:08 PM
    means you can call any mobile phone number whatever company they are with for free. but it doesnt include if you are roaming. landlines. OP might not have good service where he lives at because hes roaming. which sucks but if you dont roam you are in heaven
    12-11-09 08:26 PM
    You can get the $99 SEP and wont go over your min.
    12-11-09 08:31 PM
    You need to talk to Sprint about your roaming. If you roam more than 50% of the time (minutes used), Sprint will ask you very nicely to leave. You wont have to pay an EFT or anything, but if you're roaming that much, you'd probably be better off on a carrier with better service in your area. Again, you really need to talk with Sprint about your roaming issue.
    12-11-09 09:33 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm a power user (of calling other mobile phones)- those minutes I mentioned above are only 25% of the calls I've made in three weeks- I usually use about 4-5000 minutes monthly
    12-12-09 10:38 AM
    FWIW: no carrier counts mobile to mobile calls as "free" if you're roaming.
    12-12-09 11:54 AM
    You need to talk to Sprint about your roaming. If you roam more than 50% of the time (minutes used), Sprint will ask you very nicely to leave. You wont have to pay an EFT or anything, but if you're roaming that much, you'd probably be better off on a carrier with better service in your area. Again, you really need to talk with Sprint about your roaming issue.
    That is 100% correct. If your really roaming as much as you say you are I'd give it a couple monthes before sprint calls you up asking you to cancel sands etf.

12-12-09 10:12 PM
    If sprint would let me out of my contract- I'd be okay..... I geuss. It's not like it would have cost my anything to try them.

Hey, an earlier post said no calls are free when roaming on another carriers tower- does that also mean sprint-to-sprint calls? LIke I could be calling my wife on my other sprint line and those would be considered peak minutes if I were roaming?
    12-12-09 10:35 PM
    FWIW: no carrier counts mobile to mobile calls as "free" if you're roaming.
    Not even if it's another Sprint number? Also, wonder if I can setup a number with sprint that I can call for free- I don't know what its called- for $5.... and use Google voice for calling. That would save minutes-- but still in the same boat- what about the roaming....
    12-12-09 11:52 PM
    If you're really using 5,000 minutes a month, just get the $99 simply everything plan with unlimited minutes. Use that until they call you up and insist that you cancel because you roam too much.
    12-15-09 10:13 PM
    So what does "any mobile-any time" mean.
    Notice it isn't called "Any Mobile from Any Tower."
    12-15-09 10:14 PM
    Not even if it's another Sprint number? Also, wonder if I can setup a number with sprint that I can call for free- I don't know what its called- for $5.... and use Google voice for calling. That would save minutes-- but still in the same boat- what about the roaming....
    It doesn't matter what number you call to and from. It only matters what tower your signal is coming from. It would get really expensive for Sprint really quick if they let a single subscriber burn through 5000 minutes a month and have to pay another provider for each of those minutes. No provider could afford to do that.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 12-15-09 at 10:17 PM.
    12-15-09 10:15 PM
    If you're really using 5,000 minutes a month, just get the $99 simply everything plan with unlimited minutes. Use that until they call you up and insist that you cancel because you roam too much.
    Nearly all of the minutes are mobile though! Actually, your advice is reasonable- except that I am about to add lines and create a family plan.

12-16-09 12:00 AM
    Mobile to Mobile or not, if I was roaming all the time I would go back to the Simply Everything and use the heck out of it until they invited me to leave.

I wouldn't go adding extra lines just yet...doesn't seem like the smartest move, IMHO.
    12-16-09 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD