I've been saying that I was going to stick with my trusty 8900 for awhile despite the new T-Mobile 9700's debut. I had every intention of doing that.

My 8900 trackball has been going bad and getting worse every day since the start of the week. It finally completely died today.

Merry Christmas to me. A new 9700.

BTW, dealing with customer service on this was a nightmare. I had to go through 6 different reps to get things handled. This for a dedicated customer who has referred dozens of customers to T-Mobile (all from AT&T) and who has been with T-Mobile for seven years and in all of that seven years has had a grand total of ONE upgrade in all that time.

I'm still a T-Mobile fan but they certainly didn't make it easy today. T-Mobile is far too small to be putting their best customers through **** to get new equipment when their existing phone is still in warranty and has become unusable.

If T-Mobile's senior management follows CrackBerry, they oughta pay closer attention. Today's experience was less than stellar.
    12-09-09 10:25 PM
    YAY about a Christmas 9700.... Too bad about CS giving folks a hard time,
    especially when the other carriers are offering free phones, they should at least
    give their long time customers some special treatment!
    12-10-09 07:16 PM
    YAY about a Christmas 9700.... Too bad about CS giving folks a hard time,
    especially when the other carriers are offering free phones, they should at least
    give their long time customers some special treatment!
    Thanks and yes I agree. Seven years and only ONE upgrade in all that time and I should have been met with something more than $449 take it or leave it.

I love T-Mobile but when AT&T is giving the 9700 away, the least you can do is sell the darn thing to me at a reasonable price. Heck, I even offered to change rate plans. Still, $449 take it or leave it. Wow. Well ultimately after a lot of work, I got an ok deal, nothing spectacular, just ok.
    12-11-09 02:19 AM
    Aww man, I'm jealous. Congrats! I am curious, what do you think of the overall build of the 9700 compared to the 8900? Bet the trackpad is really sweet. And how's the 3G...compared with the 8900 EDGE? haha that's awesome.

I will be waiting for a bit myself. I had trackball problems but insurance solved that problem. I hope my replacement won't **** out soon. I'm going to wait until the price falls a bit more. Bought too many presents for people and now I'm a tad broke for now...

Again, congrats! Enjoy your new device!
    12-11-09 02:40 AM
    Aww man, I'm jealous. Congrats! I am curious, what do you think of the overall build of the 9700 compared to the 8900? Bet the trackpad is really sweet. And how's the 3G...compared with the 8900 EDGE? haha that's awesome.

I will be waiting for a bit myself. I had trackball problems but insurance solved that problem. I hope my replacement won't **** out soon. I'm going to wait until the price falls a bit more. Bought too many presents for people and now I'm a tad broke for now...

Again, congrats! Enjoy your new device!
    To be honest, I haven't even had time to tweek it yet. Have tons of apps I need to get set up. Going from one Berry to the next is always something that takes a couple of days. I'll probably get it done over the weekend.

What I do like is the form factor. It is a little sleeker than the 8900. The trackpad certainly seems more bulletproof than the trackball but I'm going to need to get used to it. I could really make that trackball dance.

Tell ya what. Give me a couple of days and I'll PM you with a full report. I know we were going to stand together and hold on to our 8900s and I would have done that but this trackball breakdown really caught me unprepared to run my life without a functioning BB and I saw no sense in getting a new 8900 or a refurb either.

I'll PM you with all my findings. Also want to chat with you about what your opinions on the Google Wave thing too.

Don't study too hard! LOL!
    12-11-09 02:53 AM
    Haha thank you! Good luck and keep me updated!

I know what you mean about the trackball. I had to get a refurb because of it. I'm hopeful about the trackpad though, because it looks sturdy and will hopefully eliminate a lot of exchanges/annoyed customers for T-Mobile.

I'll try not to study TOO hard but can't make any promises. Exams are next week and I'm in the final lap!
    12-11-09 03:22 AM
    I'll try not to study TOO hard but can't make any promises. Exams are next week and I'm in the final lap!
    You'll do fine. You're a bright lady.
    12-11-09 03:26 AM
    Okay, I want a 9700 now. I think I'm going to get it as a Christmas gift to myself but I'm going to pay retail price and have TMO do the four installment plan for me. That will be about $125 added to my bill. Then when 9/2010, I qualify for a full upgrade and I can get another BB if any good ones are out by that time.
    12-11-09 03:38 AM
    Okay, I want a 9700 now. I think I'm going to get it as a Christmas gift to myself
    Aww the heck with it. You only live once and you can't take it with you!

LOL. Go for it!
    12-11-09 03:41 AM
    Okay, I want a 9700 now. I think I'm going to get it as a Christmas gift to myself but I'm going to pay retail price
    Armando,
    If you do not need the 8320 as a backup you can trade up using T-Mobile trade up program and save $75. I did that since after rebate the 8320 originally cost me $100 and I was not using it. Here is link:

Flip Your Phone Rebate

Doc
    12-11-09 12:33 PM
    Armando,
    If you do not need the 8320 as a backup you can trade up using T-Mobile trade up program and save $75. I did that since after rebate the 8320 originally cost me $100 and I was not using it. Here is link:

Flip Your Phone Rebate

Doc
    Good idea. Just remember that it takes these people M O N T H S to get you your $75 for your phone. We're talking M O N T H S before you see your $75, not days or weeks. Might want to consider Craig's List too.
    12-11-09 02:23 PM
    Thanks! I guess all of you want me to get a 9700. I am actually thinking about keeping my 8320 since it's my first Blackberry. Then again, it'll probably just lay there collecting dust but there's a great chance that I keep it to start a BB collection.
    12-11-09 05:45 PM
    Try gazelle.com to sell bb get more money back. I'm 202 for my 8900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for that-will keep gazelle.com in mind for future. I entered info for my 8320 and calculated out to $74 so about same as the $75 with the Flip my Berry that is already submitted.
    12-11-09 07:06 PM
    I managed to sell my 8320 for $125 privately and with the $149.99 T-mobile upgrade special just after Turkey day I think I did pretty good. I also broke it into 4 payments but I had to commit for 2 more years
    12-11-09 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD