Respondents in the annual survey hammered AT&T in just about every category, from voice service to the frequency of dropped calls. The big winner: AT&T's nemesis, Verizon Wireless.
    Covering about 50,000 wireless chatters in 26 major cities, the Consumer Reports survey had little in the way of good news for AT&T, which has been taking a shellacking in recent weeks from Verizon and its devilishly effective "There's a map for that" ad campaign.

According to AllThingsDigital, the exclusive iPhone carrier ranked lowest in overall consumer satisfaction in 19 of the 26 surveyed cities, ranging from New York and San Francisco to (as FierceWireless points out) Atlanta, Cleveland, and Houston. Verizon, meanwhile, ranked first in all 26 cities in the Consumer Reports survey. Ouch.

The overall satisfaction scores over all 26 cities puts Verizon on top with a score of 75, according to AppleInsider. T-Mobile comes in next with 70 (buoyed by its "superior" customer service), with Sprint trailing with 67 (due to "poor customer support") and AT&T pulling up the rear with 66.

This isn't the first time this year that AT&T has had a poor showing in a wireless survey. Back in May, the annual American Customer Satisfaction Index gave AT&T a 67 out of 100, good for third place among the four biggest U.S. carriers (Verizon was first, Sprint came in last) but also representing the steepest drop in the group.

As you might expect, AT&T's worst marks in the Consumer Reports came in such categories as "service availability," "circuit capacity," "dropped-call frequency," and "voice service," according to AllThingsDigital. That sounds an awful lot like the earlier ACSI survey, which dinged AT&T for "complaints about slow and spotty performance."

So, how does AT&T respond to the survey? A rep told AllThingsDigital that the carrier "appreciate[s] and value[s] all customer feedback," and argues that the "surest indication of customer satisfaction is churn" (or subscriber turnover), which for "postpaid" customers was "just 1.17 percent."

Huh ... so now I'm supposed to think about AT&T's churn rate the next time my iPhone drops a call? I think I liked those Luke Wilson ads better.

So, what about you: Who's your most/least favorite wireless carrier? Satisfied with the carrier you have now?
    12-02-09 05:30 PM
    I've been with T-mobile for almost 11 years. Love their rates and customer service is outstanding!
    12-02-09 06:08 PM
    Been with Vzw for about 14 yrs. 1st and only carrier I've ever had.
    12-02-09 06:40 PM
    Been with Cingular/AT&T since I was in high school......I LOVE MY $400/month bill im paying, but I did manage to rack up 25,xxx rollover minutes
    12-02-09 06:59 PM
    Been with Cingular/AT&T since I was in high school......I LOVE MY $400/month bill im paying, but I did manage to rack up 25,xxx rollover minutes
    $400 a month - are you kidding?????

I have 5 lines, unlimited texting, plenty of minutes, free Tmo to Tmo and one data plan (mine!) and only pay $175. I count myself very lucky!

(And what are you going to do with rollover minutes anyway?)
    12-02-09 08:55 PM
    Well what did you expect att to say? lol. Customer feedback is all that matters, imo. If the poeple that pay for the services are not satisfied then that's what matters, not churn.
    12-02-09 09:00 PM
    been with cingular/at&t since i was in high school......i love my $400/month bill im paying, but i did manage to rack up 25,xxx rollover minutes
    rolmfao. . . .
    12-02-09 10:10 PM
    Been with AT&T for a while and they're the best for me. Had issues with Verizon, T-mobile (forget about it) & Sprint. I currently have Sprint and AT&T still... and Sprint comes no where near as good, but this is only my experience.

Who cares about survey if a provider works for you.

To the Op: if you are dropping calls, you need to hop on over to another carrier that works for you. Simple.
    12-02-09 10:19 PM
    I call shenanigans! lol
    12-02-09 11:03 PM
    We've had VZW for 7 years now, DH is still on that plan while I switched to ATT just last month. I'm not sure which carrier is better...places where my ATT has no signal VZW has, BUT when hubby's VZW has no signal my ATT has. Customer Serv? VZW has awesome CS, ATT? Haven't tried it yet!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 11:16 PM
    My experiance with AT&T customer service has been at least as good as my experiance with Verizon (but generally better). The Verizon network is definitely better though. OTOH The T-Mobile network is generally worse.
    12-03-09 11:20 AM
    $400 a month - are you kidding?????

I have 5 lines, unlimited texting, plenty of minutes, free Tmo to Tmo and one data plan (mine!) and only pay $175. I count myself very lucky!

(And what are you going to do with rollover minutes anyway?)
    a few of my friends contracts with verizon end soon, so i just told them to add a line under my account and just pay me instead of opening a new account since mine will be cheaper, just pay me $9.99 + data plan if they gonna get a smartphone + extra usage (international calls, etc.) I have enough minutes to cause cancer before i run out of rollover minutes

last month was $383.75, always around the $400 mark .....
    Last edited by imemikey; 12-03-09 at 02:41 PM.
    12-03-09 02:35 PM
    My family has been with ATT for years. The current service in our area is just fine. We have no complaints. We were not included in the survey. We were surprised as anyone else by the results.

I had forgotten many years ago a terrible experience with Verizon that drove me out the door into the arms of Cellular One, became Cingular, became ATT. Not thinking of leaving any time soon.
    12-03-09 03:00 PM
    This may seem like a stupid question but as far as their churn rate is concerned, isn't it likely that it's so low because of the iPhone? People not leaving ATT because it's the only carrier that has the iPhone and more people signing up there simply to get the iPhone? (obviously not the only factor, but a major one)
    12-03-09 04:54 PM
    I don't want to burst any bubbles but every one of these wireless carriers is a for profit organization. Everyone one of them wants your money and everyone one of them has good coverage in some places and bad coverage in others. Everyone one of them has people who like them and people who don't. And believe it or not, go ahead and start flaming me, every one of them embellishes and exaggerates their coverage.

If you have the one you like, great! I am glad you and those you communicate with are happy and connected. I have seen some pretty good hatred over a wireless carrier expressed. Folks, let me be very clear. If you really want, as I've seen here expressed by some, your carrier to be the only one, go back and read the historical information on the robber barons and what monopolies really mean to the consumer.

I personally hope that every wireless carrier thrives. You read that right, every carrier thrive. That means jobs, competition that drives prices down and better service for the consumer.

My 2 cents.
    12-03-09 04:54 PM
    Aside from Verizon attempting to STEAL money from me for a year’s worth of service for 2 phones that were returned less than 15 days after the purchase along with canceling the contract, buy having a bill collector threaten me if I didn’t pay them money they were not owed I would have to say they still suck the big one and I hope they go out of business tomorrow. See,,,,,,,that is what is so great about ATT,,,,,,,All they have to do to be great is to not go around burglarizing people and that alone will make them the best carrier for me.

Would you do business with a company that tried to rob you of your hard earned money? I don’t think I could live with myself if I did.

The reason I returned the phones in the first place is because we had no signal in our home, 2 miles from Dulles Airport. Guess Verizons all encompassing network and TOP RATED customer service are just as tangible as a magic genie or a lucky Leprechaun or a money tree.

BTW, What vendor seems to have the most problematic devices on these forum boards?
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-04-09 at 02:44 PM. Reason: profanity
    12-03-09 07:42 PM
    I'd really like to know how they came up with that survery... I have ATT in NJ and I have 3G service everywhere I go it rarely ever switched to EDGE or GPRS even when I go into the city... weird. ATT may be a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for right?
    12-03-09 10:41 PM
    Ever since Att upgraded to 3g here and replaced my phone to have 3g, I've had hardly any dropped calls, even on gsm(no edge due to internet block). I have had many phone issues over the years with different carriers

I had unicel for 4 yrs switched to Att, went to US Cellular when moved to a dead zone for Att, had Virgin Mobile, went back to Att in new state, and had Verizon at the same time as Att for a year due to family living in Maine. Att is horrible up there. Now I have a Net10 backup in case of att service in the backwoods, but rarely need it with my BOLD

Last edited by kevdogg329; 12-04-09 at 01:35 AM.
    12-04-09 01:25 AM
    Ya know what? The at&t churn rate in my house is going to shoot to 100% as soon as my contract is up. Perspective really changes when you travel around the country and see how spotty the service is in areas outside of major cities. I might even feel a bit different if they were honest and said "we're sorry, we screwed the pooch on this one, and we'll get that turned around as fast as possible". But they would put their spin on it to try to trick me, it seems. I don't like that.

Last edited by rockerdon; 12-04-09 at 08:45 AM.
    12-04-09 08:40 AM
    I guess the OP of this thread has never heard of the book, how to lie with statistics. My perception of the quality of AT&T's customer service is its better than Verizons. The Network is worse than Verizon but better than T-Mobile (I have never had Sprint).

I have been to places in Maine where the AT&T signal was marginal and places in CT were there wasn't a signal (but apparantly was for Verizon). OTOH I have also been to parts of CT where AT&T worked but verizon did not. AT&T works great in Hawaii even in places that have no landlines and no electrical service. T-Mobile barely worked at all. The biggest shock for me with T-Mobile is that it doesn't work in some of the baggage claim areas in New York's JFK airport (same story at Newark too). WTF?
    12-04-09 10:34 AM
    tmobile for life and loving it!!! service reception costumer service. all exceptional.
    12-04-09 10:38 AM
    I'd really like to know how they came up with that survery...
    Probably by including people who don't spend 95% of their time in a major metropolitan area.

12-04-09 10:48 AM
    damnnn $400 a month??? lmao!! they pick your phone up when it broke?..thats the jeorge jetson special i assume huh??...good luck on your 4,800 a year bill....woooooooooowwwzer!!
    12-04-09 11:10 AM
    tmobile for life and loving it!!! service reception costumer service. all exceptional.
    What other carriers have you used?
    12-04-09 11:12 AM
    hmmm, its hard to choose here, Verizon or AT&T

Verizon, got rated higher like in everything, they have a larger voice network and larger 3G network

AT&T, lower churn rate

OMG, I think I will choose AT&T just because their churn rate is lower

lol, really, I had AT&T, hated it, went to Alltel, then Verizon bought Alltel, I wasn't happy about that at first, but things are all good now
    12-04-09 11:38 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD