I have a Curve 8310 with At&t, they know I have it, but it's not contracted to them. I do not want to pay $30 for the BB Data Personal plan, thats as much as I pay for 7MB/s at home, I want the Unlimited MediaNet plan for $15. I have Opera Mini, and my TCP settings are as follows:

APN: wap.cingular
    Username for APN: [email protected]
    Password for APN: CINGULAR1

What will I not be able to do/do with the medianet plan using Opera Browser, and what settings need to be changed?
    10-26-08 06:59 PM
    You will not get BBM and email, as far as I know. All you'll get is internet alone. It's not easy to get MediaNet added, though, while you have a BB on.

The AT&T billing system will NOT let MediaNet be provisioned on any PDA like phones or iPhone.
    10-26-08 09:28 PM
    I got At&t to give me the $15 plan, no problem.
    10-27-08 09:55 AM
    I don't think it will work at all. All of the data is handled BY blackberry, not AT&T. It's essentially passed through.

So, good luck but I don't think any amount of "hacking" will set it up to work.
    10-27-08 02:15 PM
    Does this actually work if so is there any MAJOR side effects?
    10-28-08 06:44 AM
    the only thing that doesn't work is the push email feature, and instant messengers downloaded from blackberry's site (yahoo, aim, etc.) although you can easily remedy that with 3rd party apps. the rest works just fine. I have prepaid with unlimited media net, not BIS and those are the only drawbacks.
    10-28-08 07:33 AM
    oh ok thanks
    10-28-08 08:06 AM
    Yeah I don't think there is any Hacking you have to do. I upgraded from a cell phone to a Cure a couple of months ago online and had the MEdia Max 200 19.99 plan and when it came I just swapped the sim card out of my cell and into the curve and it was good to go.
    10-28-08 12:11 PM
    I'm using opera mini and there's no problems at all, I actually beat a first gen iPhone in a page load test.
    10-28-08 10:39 PM
    :-o

This is intriguing! I was not aware that people had other options when it came to Blackberry data plans. Good thing I haven't had a chance to get the Bold yet!

Ever since I saw this thread earlier today I've been reading up on this subject, and I am begining to think that there is absolutely no reason for me to not bypass the $30 AT&T BIS data plan and opt for this $15 alternative!

I even found a website that has a tutorial on how to activate the native BB browser and pushmail! I think I will have to give this some serious consideration before I walk into an AT&T store on November 4th and pick up my first Blackberry.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to upgrade to the Blackberry Data Plan from the Generic Data Plan in case the generic plan does not work out for me? Or is that sort of thing set in stone for a while once you sign a contract?
    Last edited by BBnewbBB; 10-29-08 at 02:15 PM.
    10-29-08 01:13 PM
    thats what i was thinking too coz before my friend gave me his bb curve my plan was a media net bundle so i put my sim card onto the curve and its works fine for me i mean for now. So the question to all you AT&T USERS, EMPLOYEES , ETC ETC . IF YOU HAVE A BLACKBERRY IS THE BLACKBERRY PLAN THE ONLY PLAN THAT WOULD WORK WITH THE PHONE COZ I KEEP HEARING PEOPLE SAY YOU NEED TO GET THE BB PLAN BUT I SEE PEOPLE WITH BLACKBERRY PHONE'S AND THEY DONT HAVE THE BB PLAN AT ALL THEY JUST HAVE THE MEDIA MAX UNLIMITED FOR $30 AND THATS WHAY CHEAPER THAN THE BB PLAN FOR $50 WITH UNLIMITED DATE& TEXT
    10-29-08 02:10 PM
    thats what i was thinking too coz before my friend gave me his bb curve my plan was a media net bundle so i put my sim card onto the curve and its works fine for me i mean for now. So the question to all you AT&T USERS, EMPLOYEES , ETC ETC . IF YOU HAVE A BLACKBERRY IS THE BLACKBERRY PLAN THE ONLY PLAN THAT WOULD WORK WITH THE PHONE COZ I KEEP HEARING PEOPLE SAY YOU NEED TO GET THE BB PLAN BUT I SEE PEOPLE WITH BLACKBERRY PHONE'S AND THEY DONT HAVE THE BB PLAN AT ALL THEY JUST HAVE THE MEDIA MAX UNLIMITED FOR $30 AND THATS WHAY CHEAPER THAN THE BB PLAN FOR $50 WITH UNLIMITED DATE& TEXT
    Employees of AT&T are not allowed to tell you "loopholes," and in all technicality, we can tell you have to be on a BlackBerry plan if you're on a MediaNet plan.

It is set, in the billing system that provisions everything, to make you have the blackberry data plan, with the phone's IMEI. In short, if you have the phone placed on your account, you're not going to be able to get Media Net applied. The BB data plan offers the full potential of the phone and if you just have the MediaNet, you'll not get that. It'll be half-assed.

If you have the MediaNet, with a BB, on your plan, grats! Just hope you don't have to make any changes to your account or it will force the rep. to cancel the changes, remove the data plan completely or have you apply the BB data plan.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to upgrade to the Blackberry Data Plan from the Generic Data Plan in case the generic plan does not work out for me? Or is that sort of thing set in stone for a while once you sign a contract?
    The features, albeit the MediaNet or BB data plan, are non-contractual (with exception of some international features) and can be changed at anytime, with prorated charges.
    Last edited by Inifekt; 10-29-08 at 06:10 PM.
    10-29-08 06:03 PM
    I'm sick of people saying you absolutely have to have the BB data plan no exceptions: False. Get an old regular phone that's not in use, put your sim card in it, call at&t, tell them you switched phones, and you want to add the medianet unlimited feature, they will have you press some buttons on the phone or look behind the battery so you can read them the imei, they'll add the $15 plan, and then you put your sim card back in your bb. Don't worry, this is not against any rules, laws or regulations, and they can't tell which phone you're using from their end. Make sure your options/advanced/tcp settings are the same as mine from my first post, download opera mini from your pc, install it, and you're good to go, why would you rather use bb browser anyways? Opera is way better. . The average consumer does not need the features that come with the outrageously expensive bb data plans. They will do fine with opera, and gmail and IM+
    11-03-08 12:40 AM
    does this still work
    11-03-08 05:29 PM
    I'm surprised this is working for people. My fiancee's sister has a Samsung Blackjack II and somehow added the MediaNet to her line but still got charged data usage on top of the MediaNet plan. She had to call AT&T and talk with them for a while to get them to remove the charges and add the right plan that worked with her phone. I was under the assumption that all PDA/Smartphones had to have the $30 data plan to function like a smartphone.
    11-04-08 11:18 PM
    wait......
    so If i start using my friend's old Curve (8310), WHAT will be the differences withthis compared to the BB plan?

will i be able to use the GPS feature?

(i guess im asking for a list of things i WONT be able to do w/ only the MediaNET)
    11-05-08 01:07 PM
    Without the expensive pda plan, you won't get push email, pin messages, blackberry browser (sometimes), blackberry messenger, and instant message clients from the blackberry web site. You will have to use Opera Mini for web browsing, its the best anyways, and a third party email app like Gmail (its as fast as push anyways), and third party instant messenger. Everything else will work like normal including upgrades, gps, text and multimedia messages.
    11-16-08 08:40 PM
    Without the expensive pda plan, you won't get push email, pin messages, blackberry browser (sometimes), blackberry messenger, and instant message clients from the blackberry web site. You will have to use Opera Mini for web browsing, its the best anyways, and a third party email app like Gmail (its as fast as push anyways), and third party instant messenger. Everything else will work like normal including upgrades, gps, text and multimedia messages.
    buuuut i wont have BBM?
    11-16-08 10:32 PM
    hmm this is interesting... me and my friends have a family plan which consists of 3 people and we have the 30 dollar unlimited text so that breaks down to 10 bucks a person. if i add the media net unlimited ($15) that means i'll only be paying $25 bucks for unlimited text and unlimited internet! yay?

can someone confirm what features can and cannot be used like blackberry messenger, yahoomail, google maps, facebook, etc....?
    Last edited by chinkster; 11-17-08 at 10:17 AM.
    11-17-08 10:14 AM
    Someone just did two posts above yours.

If there was only a workaround for the BBM, I'd be all over it.
    11-17-08 10:41 PM
    And then AT&T does IMEI sweeps, removes the medianet plans and charges you for the services. Lol, see it on a daily basis and if ya say " I had mine for xxx months, years" whatever, it just means they havent made it around to your IMEI yet, in the end it will be removed from all accounts, especially nowadays with AT&T enforcing it more and more each day.
    11-17-08 11:41 PM
    I'm sick of people saying you absolutely have to have the BB data plan no exceptions: False. Get an old regular phone that's not in use, put your sim card in it, call at&t, tell them you switched phones, and you want to add the medianet unlimited feature, they will have you press some buttons on the phone or look behind the battery so you can read them the imei, they'll add the $15 plan, and then you put your sim card back in your bb. Don't worry, this is not against any rules, laws or regulations, and they can't tell which phone you're using from their end. Make sure your options/advanced/tcp settings are the same as mine from my first post, download opera mini from your pc, install it, and you're good to go, why would you rather use bb browser anyways? Opera is way better. . The average consumer does not need the features that come with the outrageously expensive bb data plans. They will do fine with opera, and gmail and IM+
    If only you knew how wrong you are! The system reads your IMEI and IMSI everytime. Hence my comment regarding IMEI sweeps and the only reason for the IMEI sweeps is to cover the device the reps either don't care to fix/refuse to fix/don't know how to fix, as soon as you slap that SIM in a device and it communicates, somewhere in the system your real IMEI is held, their is at a minimum of 4 systems available to every rep to notice this from the time you advised them of your phone number.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-17-08 at 11:47 PM.
    11-17-08 11:43 PM
    Someone just did two posts above yours.
    i meant does it work for google maps, facebook, aim, and all those other 3rd party NON OEM BLACKBERRY apps.
    11-18-08 07:27 AM
    if you can use PAY-PER-USE internet on your blackberry, i believe you can use the $15 Media-net unlimited data plan.
    11-18-08 07:31 AM
    i meant does it work for google maps, facebook, aim, and all those other 3rd party NON OEM BLACKBERRY apps.
    And your question was answered in the post I quoted...

Like he said, the instant messaging clients from RIM's site won't be available. All other 3rd party apps will work as intended.
    11-18-08 10:51 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD