The easy way:
    If you have an old phone (non-pda), put your sim chip in and make a call to someone. Wait approx 20 min and log onto your account. Verify the old phone is displayed as your device and goto manage features. You should be able to add the media.net to your plan. Confirm the change and put the sim back into your BB. As stated you will not have access to bb mail but gmail can display notifications but its pull not pushm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 10:46 AM
    Something else to note: IF you DO have the BB data plan if u try to put your sim in anything BUT a blackberry it will not work at all. No voice, text or data!

01-09-09 03:35 PM
    Something else to note: IF you DO have the BB data plan if u try to put your sim in anything BUT a blackberry it will not work at all. No voice, text or data!

Blackberry's transmit data in a compressed format on 2G & 3G bandwidths. The SIM card is configured for this type of data transmission. Some SIM cards out of a Blackberry will work in other devices. It really depends on the device you are putting it in.
    This is why AT&T has had such a difficult time with the original IPhone using the 2G band. Apple did not design their data transmission protocol to be compressed but devices such as Blackberrys utilize less bandwidth without any compromise in speed. If any of you understand compressed music formats (wav vs. mp3) then you understand what I am talking about. For every 15 Blackberrys using the network, there is 1 Iphone 2G.

01-09-09 04:15 PM
    Why not just get a regular phone if your gonna shortcut the blackberry? I know times are hard and everybody wants to save money and if thats the case then why do you even own a blackberry? These phone companies are smart and i bet their all over these forums just lookin for things like this.
    01-16-09 01:28 PM
    I can confirm that ATT knows what phone your sim card is in, I've been a long time Sprint customer and just changed to ATT, got a bold for me and a Curve for my moms line, she doesn't use it much so I gave the Curve to my niece (BTW-would ATT have a problem with this, I have a BB plan on mine but not on my 2cd line for her), who is on my sisters plan and gave my mom a $20 Nokia from Walmart, checked my account online and the Nokia is listed as the device for my 2cd line rather than the Curve.
    01-16-09 09:24 PM
    The IMEI registry in the system tells the carrier what type of device your SIM card is in. It is like the VIN # for your vehicle.
    Just because you have a Blackberry does not require that you maintain a data plan unless you agreed to those terms if you purchased the device on contract.
    I had an old wifi enabled Curve that was capable of calls & messaging with no problem. Data usage was covered via wifi. Yes, a waste of Blackberry's features but it can be used that way is so desired.

01-16-09 10:34 PM
    So frustrating. I believe Blaze stated it best. Basically, AT&T isn't stupid and it is on record that you're using improper features on the device.

Sweeps do and will happen. If you suddenly get changes to your account or even charges, it's because of these sweeps. ALSO, if you get these charges / changes they are more than likely irreversible (except removing the feature).

Yes, you can get around it and yes you can use internet on the device. Just be aware it will be noticed. So you think you may be tricking AT&T but you're not.
    01-17-09 02:11 AM
    i have wifi...can I use the internet through that and not get charged? I got a data charge for something but I don't even use my email or internet unless wifi and we have unlimited messenging. So what's the charge for?
    01-18-09 12:06 AM
    i have a 8120 i followed some the advices here and called att from another device so i got myself the media net for $15. i downloaded opera mini and it works but i downloaded google maps but it doesnt work do u know if it is even possible to use it? when i try to open google maps it starts loading but after 30 or 40 seconds it stops and says it couldnt connect

any ideas on what can i do??

thanks
    03-17-09 02:11 PM
    I bought a Curve 8320 from T-Mobile, and unlocked it to work with AT&T. That was back maybe a year ago. Not sure when I got it. Either way:

Prior to that, I have a v557, with the $15 mediaNet plan. The switch to the curve happened after my friend was tired of theirs, so I bought it off them.

I never bothered telling AT&T. Woops

The Browser didn't work (No Service books), the IM features in the phone didn't work (But IM+ did), and the Picture messaging didn't work. My solution was, as many have stated, was Opera Mini, IM+, and Gmail (I'd have people picture message my email).

However - my BlackBerry has died (may it RIP). During the time however, my bill showed me as using a BlackBerry. AT&T reps did work on my account. They never changed it (nor told me I had to, because if they did, I would of). Why? I dunno, maybe because AT&T didn't have an 8320 in their system (only 8310) at the time?

Either way - I plan on getting the 8900 in late April. Excited about it, reguardless if I get an AT&T one or an unlocked one. However, I plan on switching to the BlackBerry plan when I do it. Why?

The extra $15 a month, when you look at what I already pay, is really worth it when you consider that -everything- will work without a hitch, rather then you having to get around it.

Thats my take on it, anyways.

P.S. to jorgegsxr:
    When I did the above, my Google Maps worked - My Gmail app worked too. I had no problems. But again - this was an 8320, not an 8120, so I dunno.
    03-17-09 05:16 PM
    How about this monkey wrench? I do not (yet) have a BB but am strongly considering the bold soon. I have the 8525 WM phone. Of course a PDA phone 'has' to have the 30 dollar plan.
    However when I received a mailing about medianet for 15 and to send a text to request it, I figured I would. Low and behold they gave it to me. I tried no trickery of a different phone or anything else. I asked ATT and they gave it to me.
    So your still saying they will take it away when they realize their own error? Been good for last couple months.
    05-06-09 10:39 AM
    I have a Blackberry Curve with the MEdia Net Unlimited and 200 Text a month for 19.99 plan that carried over when I had my Cell Phone.

I noticed that I can change what phone I have through my account Online. If I did this and put my Sim Card back in my Cell would I be able to change over to the Unlimited Data and Text for $30 a month?

Or if I were to call Premier Customer Care and tell them would they change it?

Thanks
    05-07-09 08:48 AM
    I have a Blackberry Curve with the MEdia Net Unlimited and 200 Text a month for 19.99 plan that carried over when I had my Cell Phone.

I noticed that I can change what phone I have through my account Online. If I did this and put my Sim Card back in my Cell would I be able to change over to the Unlimited Data and Text for $30 a month?

Or if I were to call Premier Customer Care and tell them would they change it?

Thanks
    Anybody?

Thanks
    05-19-09 03:51 PM
    Make your own thread. Your welcome.
    05-19-09 03:58 PM
    I don't think it will work at all. All of the data is handled BY blackberry, not AT&T. It's essentially passed through.

So, good luck but I don't think any amount of "hacking" will set it up to work.
    Ok. Damn this thread is old. Why bring it back?
    Last edited by dave_sz; 05-19-09 at 05:00 PM.
    05-19-09 04:46 PM
    The easy way:
    If you have an old phone (non-pda), put your sim chip in and make a call to someone. Wait approx 20 min and log onto your account. Verify the old phone is displayed as your device and goto manage features. You should be able to add the media.net to your plan. Confirm the change and put the sim back into your BB. As stated you will not have access to bb mail but gmail can display notifications but its pull not pushm

I tryed this the other night and it worked. Has anyone else had any luck with this? Has AT&T done anything to you?

I have the MEdia Max plan when I fist got a Curve from my old cell phone and the sales associate at an AT&T store said it was fine to use as long as I was not using the Blackberry Data.
    05-25-09 03:18 AM
    I don't think it will work at all. All of the data is handled BY blackberry, not AT&T. It's essentially passed through.

So, good luck but I don't think any amount of "hacking" will set it up to work.
    And then AT&T does IMEI sweeps, removes the medianet plans and charges you for the services. Lol, see it on a daily basis and if ya say " I had mine for xxx months, years" whatever, it just means they havent made it around to your IMEI yet, in the end it will be removed from all accounts, especially nowadays with AT&T enforcing it more and more each day.
    If only you knew how wrong you are! The system reads your IMEI and IMSI everytime. Hence my comment regarding IMEI sweeps and the only reason for the IMEI sweeps is to cover the device the reps either don't care to fix/refuse to fix/don't know how to fix, as soon as you slap that SIM in a device and it communicates, somewhere in the system your real IMEI is held, their is at a minimum of 4 systems available to every rep to notice this from the time you advised them of your phone number.
    I can confirm that ATT knows what phone your sim card is in, I've been a long time Sprint customer and just changed to ATT, got a bold for me and a Curve for my moms line, she doesn't use it much so I gave the Curve to my niece (BTW-would ATT have a problem with this, I have a BB plan on mine but not on my 2cd line for her), who is on my sisters plan and gave my mom a $20 Nokia from Walmart, checked my account online and the Nokia is listed as the device for my 2cd line rather than the Curve.
    The IMEI registry in the system tells the carrier what type of device your SIM card is in. It is like the VIN # for your vehicle.
    Just because you have a Blackberry does not require that you maintain a data plan unless you agreed to those terms if you purchased the device on contract.
    I had an old wifi enabled Curve that was capable of calls & messaging with no problem. Data usage was covered via wifi. Yes, a waste of Blackberry's features but it can be used that way is so desired.

So frustrating. I believe Blaze stated it best. Basically, AT&T isn't stupid and it is on record that you're using improper features on the device.

Sweeps do and will happen. If you suddenly get changes to your account or even charges, it's because of these sweeps. ALSO, if you get these charges / changes they are more than likely irreversible (except removing the feature).

Yes, you can get around it and yes you can use internet on the device. Just be aware it will be noticed. So you think you may be tricking AT&T but you're not.
    Ummm, since 10-27-2008 I have been using MediaNet on my Blackberry, I don't know what you guys are talking about "IMEI sweeps" sure as **** has not happened to me, and I use a gig a month sometimes, it's been $15 since then with NO extra charges
    05-26-09 05:52 PM
    At ATT we can tell what phone and sim number ever used on every line, the system does do IMEI sweeps and will pick it up, its a good idea and may work for a few but the system will pick it up and provision itself, once thats done and it shows as a blackberry you will only be able to get the $30 BB plan..as the system knows by the IMEI and will only let us select from that..but like i said it may work for awhile but sooner or later the system will pick it up and correct it..with the blackberrys all data is through blackberry not ATT as oppose to Media Net..and another thing if you have to call in for a problem before the system does sweep its gonna come out anyways that your on a media net plan with a blackberry and that will either have to be removed if you dont wanna pay $30 or the plan will be added
    Last edited by Robbeane; 05-28-09 at 08:13 PM.
    05-28-09 08:11 PM
    I'm sick of people saying you absolutely have to have the BB data plan no exceptions: False. Get an old regular phone that's not in use, put your sim card in it, call at&t, tell them you switched phones, and you want to add the medianet unlimited feature, they will have you press some buttons on the phone or look behind the battery so you can read them the imei, they'll add the $15 plan, and then you put your sim card back in your bb. Don't worry, this is not against any rules, laws or regulations, and they can't tell which phone you're using from their end. Make sure your options/advanced/tcp settings are the same as mine from my first post, download opera mini from your pc, install it, and you're good to go, why would you rather use bb browser anyways? Opera is way better. . The average consumer does not need the features that come with the outrageously expensive bb data plans. They will do fine with opera, and gmail and IM+
    Point being that you can't FORCE the media net data plan on a BB you either get a BB with its plan or you "fool" att and get media net. "Fooling" att is illegal! Just so you know. It is required that they have the correct phone you are using on the account. Which is why you NEVER see an att store or retailer selling unlocked phones. Just FYI!!

P.S. Att employee here.

05-29-09 12:41 AM
    I still can't understand why ATT doesn't just offer a choice to the Blackberry users. RIM doesn't care what you have on the phone after the sale. Anyone who says so needs to show documentation that it does.
    Just let me decide the plan I want to use on MY cell phone. One of these days this will happen. In the meantime I will set out to get Media net working on my phone (8820) just because it is cheaper and because it is my choice. If ATT decides to start charging me for a BB plan then I will go back to WIFI with data turned off and they will get nothing fot my internet access.
    06-01-09 01:07 PM
    Why not just get a regular phone if your gonna shortcut the blackberry? I know times are hard and everybody wants to save money and if thats the case then why do you even own a blackberry? These phone companies are smart and i bet their all over these forums just lookin for things like this.

you're correct.........the bottom line is, the plans are too expensive!
    06-04-09 01:56 AM
    I walked into the corporate store with my BB 8310 and got a prepaid, Pick your Plan. He setup my account with the BB but without data, due to them not able to select the data plan. Called 611, got the Data Unlimited plan put on my account. So I do have Internet, just not BIS for prepay. I have heard of the IMEI sweeps hitting people, but if they already know what phone I'm using it shouldn't affect me i would think.
    06-22-09 06:48 AM
    The pda plan costs the same as the BB plan, so if you want cheap either:

1) get a dumb phone with a cheap data plan
    2) get an unlocked unbranded phone that doesn't require an AT&T pda plan (but this is gonna cost you up front because it's not subsidized)

Getting a BB and shorting the plan makes the least sense (unless you only use it as a phone with zero data)...
    06-22-09 01:37 PM
    It's certainly not a Blackberry but Palm Treos like the 680 and 750 still work on the non-smartphone Media Net plan just fine.
    07-03-09 01:26 AM
    Unlimited media net will work on any phone besides iphone. Just call customer care and add it if they ask anything say you got some old phone or get an imei number off a old phone. Downside is you will lose BBM and push email.

07-03-09 10:37 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD