Have noticed those on at&t Z10s getting pushed the 10.3.2 update are receiving it as a "mandatory update" Obviously this is because of the new (and likewise mandatory) security measures. So, two questions:

1. Has anyone on T-Mo, who received the update for their Classic, also find it's mandatory? (If so, would presume they would ultimately need to push for Z10 and Q10),
    2. Has anyone with a factory unlocked phone been pushed a "mandatory" OS update? In other words, is this "mandatory" issue strictly carrier related? (My shopBBerry is offering me the option of 10.3.2, but not saying it's mandatory).
    06-20-15 05:10 PM
    I was wondering the same thing. I just this week started using my Z30 as my 'real' phone. Stuck the simcard in without even turning it off. I do not want the update, had accidentally got my Q5 updated and no want, no need on any others (which is just two Z10s and the one Z30). I just delete the notifications and keep my button turned to OFF for automatic updates. I did shut down the phone once with the simcard in it but took it out before restarting.

What i would suspect is if you purchased your phone through atnt it will force the update, but it could be that all updates will force themselves through sooner or later. I just REALLY didnt want it on the Q5 because of the limited memory in the phone, it has already cramped my style just a little bit, would have bothered me more if i only had one BB10 device. With the Z30 i just want an easy way out for getting flash back first, and dont want that amazon appstore.
    06-20-15 05:53 PM
    I think it's just AT&T being AT&T. They don't want to risk law violations so they're just forcing through the update.

My Q10's factory unlocked and 10.3.2 is available and non-mandatory. And it will stay un-installed until (hopefully) WFC comes to 10.3.2.

If someone wants to avoid an accidental install on a phone, just keeping an AT&T SIM card out of that phone should do it. I haven't read anything about (unlocked) AT&T-branded phones with non-AT&T SIMs being forced into installation.
    scrannel likes this.
    06-20-15 06:10 PM
    My Classic update didn't arrive as "mandatory"... I simply pressed Check For Update and it popped up and ran through as per usual...

Posted via CB10
    scrannel likes this.
    06-20-15 06:28 PM
    I think it's just AT&T being AT&T. They don't want to risk law violations so they're just forcing through the update.

My Q10's factory unlocked and 10.3.2 is available and non-mandatory. And it will stay un-installed until (hopefully) WFC comes to 10.3.2.

If someone wants to avoid an accidental install on a phone, just keeping an AT&T SIM card out of that phone should do it. I haven't read anything about (unlocked) AT&T-branded phones with non-AT&T SIMs being forced into installation.
    My factory unlocked Z10 is being "offered" a 10.3.2 update like your Q. So, guessing, factory unlocked phones will not see the update as mandatory; thus branded phones will or will not depending upon carrier's decision. The only wild card here is, since the updates are sent out by branded data base, will carriers like at&t indeed deviate from this practice and "mandatory update" bberrys on their network regardless of branding?
    raino likes this.
    06-21-15 09:53 AM
    I try to keep autoupdate turned off, but was oblivious to all that when i was switching to my Q5, after all my atnt Z10 would not update past 10.1 despite a few phone calls to atnt who acted like it was between me and BlackBerry. (later on one of my fights with the phone resulted in the update coming through successfully, but i do not know why.) so the Q5 had autoupdate on by default, just uses up too much memory for 'improvements' the phone didnt need.

So it may not be true that atnt can force them out if you dont install.
    06-21-15 11:45 AM
    Legally, I believe, they are only responsible for enacting the new security changes on phones they sell/sold. So, it doesn't seem likely they will force and update on a non-at&t branded phone.
    06-21-15 12:05 PM
    The only wild card here is, since the updates are sent out by branded data base, will carriers like at&t indeed deviate from this practice and "mandatory update" bberrys on their network regardless of branding?
    Good question. Given that we're talking about AT&T, my answer would be yes. I'll do some digging to see if this has happened.

Do they have the right to? Legally, IDK. Your interpretation of the law is correct though: they are responsible for the phones they sell/sold. One would think the responsibility for factory unlocked phones would fall upon BB then, but they haven't made it mandatory so far.
    06-21-15 12:26 PM
    Good question. Given that we're talking about AT&T, my answer would be yes. I'll do some digging to see if this has happened.

Do they have the right to? Legally, IDK. Your interpretation of the law is correct though: they are responsible for the phones they sell/sold. One would think the responsibility for factory unlocked phones would fall upon BB then, but they haven't made it mandatory so far.
    Every carrier in the USA must comply with new security laws. Part of it is the Kill Switch. If your cell phone is lost or stolen your cellphone is rendered useless

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 07:09 AM
    Every carrier in the USA must comply with new security laws. Part of it is the Kill Switch. If your cell phone is lost or stolen your cellphone is rendered useless

Posted via CB10
    Right... Because our Government sincerely cares about theft of our mobile devices...

"Security laws" AKA infringement of Constitutional rights via psyops... Yet another NSA back-door to gain... But I digress...

Posted via CB10
    Anovascular likes this.
    06-23-15 07:22 AM
    One person on AT&T with an unlocked TMO Z10 is reporting that he was forced into the mandatory update. Two others who responded had branded phones.
    CivilDissident and scrannel like this.
    06-25-15 09:40 AM
    A guy with an AT&T Z10 but a foreign SIM says his phone was forced as well. But his AT&T Passport with an AT&T SIM was not

He thinks it's because he had mobile data off on the Passport...but surely that can't be enough to trick AT&T's system?
    06-25-15 03:27 PM
    So... what happens to a hapless customer on at&t who had encrypted their SD card, and suddenly they get a mandatory OS update? Wouldn't that make un-encrypting the SD now impossible?
    06-28-15 12:06 PM
    So... what happens to a hapless customer on at&t who had encrypted their SD card, and suddenly they get a mandatory OS update? Wouldn't that make un-encrypting the SD now impossible?
    Not if it's OTA. Only if the OS can't retain the encryption file would it be lost. Security wipe or autoloader are two examples of what not to do before decrypting SD contents.

[CB10 / Q10]
    scrannel likes this.
    06-28-15 03:53 PM
    Looks like Verizon may be doing mandatory updating as well: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11769093
    scrannel likes this.
    07-06-15 11:53 AM