This is my first post. I am new to crackberry, I have the storm 2 and have had it for about a month and fully understand the term crackberry now. Anyway I just saw that annoying commercial for AT&T where they say you can't make a call and browse the net, well I just did it and I made sure that the wi-fi connection was off first. The call sounded like always and the web pages loaded the same just wanted to let everyone know that AT&T doesn't know what they are talking about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 05:58 PM
    I can agree w/ you there. I put the call on speaker and browse the web also on my Tour.

01-09-10 06:23 PM
    That's interesting. Anyway someone could make a video of it happening? Perhaps call 611 and don't push any options just to be connected to a fake call.

01-09-10 07:37 PM
    AT&T also says they download faster than Verizon which I know isn't true because my girlfriend and I got the same e-mail at the same time from our party consultant and I was able to download the attachment about 2 minutes before her.
    01-09-10 08:01 PM
    Yeah, well it is a little more complicated than meets the eye. Howarmat just about blew a fuse trying to explain it to everybody. I just wish RIM would get THE MAN to drop a simple, single 8 1/2x11 sheet on our forums diagramming what all happens with broadband, voice, and WiFi: it is mind blowing, indeed. Doctor Neutron
    01-09-10 08:04 PM
    AT&T also says they download faster than Verizon which I know isn't true because my girlfriend and I got the same e-mail at the same time from our party consultant and I was able to download the attachment about 2 minutes before her.
    There is a lot more to than that. Speed depends on a lot of factors. VZW phones making calls while on surfing the web is from what I hear technically impossible on CDMA. I was never able to do it when I had VZW. I just had a friend try it on his Tour and he couldn't.
    01-09-10 08:37 PM
    This is my first post. I am new to crackberry, I have the storm 2 and have had it for about a month and fully understand the term crackberry now. Anyway I just saw that annoying commercial for AT&T where they say you can't make a call and browse the net, well I just did it and I made sure that the wi-fi connection was off first. The call sounded like always and the web pages loaded the same just wanted to let everyone know that AT&T doesn't know what they are talking about.

No, I don't think you did. It's not possible with CDMA technology. (AT&T's commercials are misleading in that respect -- they imply that it's something Verizon does for no good reason.)
    01-09-10 11:44 PM
    I was very curious about what the Tour and Verizon could do after a couple of interesting exchanges here on the forum. So - I went to the store Union Station store with a couple of friends and the people at the store looked at us like we were crazy when we asked about simultaneous voice and data on a CDMA device, specifically the Tour.
    We attempted to get a demo of what the phone could in fact do, but the Verizon folks couldn't get the phone to work. Meanwhile my two friends were on their iPhones and I was on my 9700.
    So - to the OP, please post a video of how you did it. Seems not even the folks at the Verizon store were aware that it could be done.
    01-10-10 05:15 AM
    Highly doubtful. Since the OP was on a Storm2, I would bet that wifi was actually on and connected, so the web was going over wifi and no over BIS.
    01-10-10 06:27 AM
    No, I don't think you did. It's not possible with CDMA technology. (AT&T's commercials are misleading in that respect -- they imply that it's something Verizon does for no good reason.)
    I never got the feeling they were implying it. I think they are simply stating the shortcomings of CDMA.

01-10-10 06:36 AM
    I never got the feeling they were implying it. I think they are simply stating the shortcomings of CDMA.

Verizon should respond with the shortcomings of GSM. GSM Security Encryption Code Hacked
    01-10-10 10:22 AM
    Like right now I'm on crackberry.com and I can receive a call and answer it. Put it on speaker phon then go back into my browser and continue what I was doing on crackberry. I don't need to prove it with a video or anything? Verizon doesn't pay me! When they do, then I'll start doing their work.

01-10-10 10:39 AM
    BTW, did I mention that I couldn't surf the web, just Go back into the web pg. I was already viewing.

01-10-10 10:46 AM
    I can agree w/ you there. I put the call on speaker and browse the web also on my Tour.

BTW, did I mention that I couldn't surf the web, just Go back into the web pg. I was already viewing.

Kinda contradictory wouldn't you think? Maybe you DID need to prove it.
    01-10-10 11:24 AM
    It's obvious that the op is "reading" a page that has already been loaded. To the op. Connect to a call, then go to google and do a search. You won't be able to do it. It's impossible on a CDMA device. You are either 1) using wifi, 2) reading a page that has already been loaded into cache, or 3) smoking crack.

01-10-10 11:33 AM
    Are you married to CDMA? stop being a Fan Boy and be a consumer.

01-10-10 11:47 AM
    It's obvious that the op is "reading" a page that has already been loaded. To the op. Connect to a call, then go to google and do a search. You won't be able to do it. It's impossible on a CDMA device. You are either 1) using wifi, 2) reading a page that has already been loaded into cache, or 3) smoking crack.

thank you! I am a fan of verizon's CDMA call quality but..... NO sorry! No data/voice lol
    01-10-10 12:44 PM
    Yeah I was talking with 611 to help me out with an issue and at the end of the call he asked if he could help me out with anything else and I said no not really but I have a random question and he was like what is that

I asked him if he ever saw the atnt commercial about not being able to go on the internet and talk on the phone for verizion users he said yeah why? I said well i'm on the internet right now, he said you know I hear that alot from blackberry users

By the end of the convo he said it's a restriction that was lifted accidently with the R.I.M. Software. But there not planning on fixing it, also the 4g network starts at the end of this year so, it will no longer limit verizion users regardless of phone.
    01-10-10 07:05 PM
    Yeah I was talking with 611 to help me out with an issue and at the end of the call he asked if he could help me out with anything else and I said no not really but I have a random question and he was like what is that

I asked him if he ever saw the atnt commercial about not being able to go on the internet and talk on the phone for verizion users he said yeah why? I said well i'm on the internet right now, he said you know I hear that alot from blackberry users

By the end of the convo he said it's a restriction that was lifted accidently with the R.I.M. Software. But there not planning on fixing it, also the 4g network starts at the end of this year so, it will no longer limit verizion users regardless of phone.
    That's news to me. I have a VZW Tour and am not able to surf/talk at the same time. As far as I have heard, it is a technical limitation of CDMA so software can't magically change that.

CDMA experts please respond!
    01-10-10 09:24 PM
    Its a cdma thing, has nothing to do with software.

01-11-10 01:36 AM
    I shouldn't say that. Simultaneous data and voice isn't possible on EVDO which is Verizon's network technology. It is possible on EVDV, which is a CDMA technology.

01-11-10 01:38 AM
    It is not possible, period. Let me try to explain why.

ATT has two radios in side the unit. One for voice, one for data. Both radio work on different frequencies. This means that the phone can send and receive both data and voice. The bad news is it just kind of does it half fashion. If you do it, it is really slow and kind of sucks. Why? Because of processor power. The data from the voice and the internet data collide with the processor and will it sucks.

CDMA uses one radio, same frequency, different sub frequency. This means that the radio does one or the other, it can not do both. Kind of like you old CB radios, you can tune into one frequency at a time. Now you can do a software scanner option, but you just go for a few mins and drop the call.

The next gen is no better.

LTE using only data, and voice is really voip. Which means that you can make a voice call while surfing the web, just both of them would grind to a stop, because of processor and connectivity issues. For every person that places a call or uses the internet, lte will become slower.

Wimax will use cdma/gsm + wimax radios. Which means no voice data on the internet data line, faster speeds, cdma/gsm will make sure that you do not get drop from the call. You can do both with out slowing down each line, but you are limited by processor of the phone.

Luckly, most lte and wimax phones are fully compatible (should be unless someones i software crippling the phone.) A wimax phone should roam on a lte network, and lte phone should be able to roam on a wimax network, this is google's doing, it required that all sells of the 800 spectrum have an open clause. Requiring no one company controls what is on its network.

To the op, it is impossible for you to do a search of the internet and make a phone call.

The phone turns off internet to make a phone call or turn off phone to serf the web. All phone calls are just pings to the radio, that will turn off the internet as soon as you pick them up.
    01-11-10 11:17 AM
    Nah, you cant call and browse at the same time on VZ. I tried it and its just the last page loaded, its your cache pulling that page.

On a different note, Id rather have good call quality everywhere i go with vz, than be able to browse the net while having my calls dropped constantly. had att, vzw and sprint over the years. been with vzw for 11 years or so. Had att on a work phone and had a second phone on sprint. I couldnt take having work call me on my vz cell for work purposes because they couldnt talk to me on ATT without the call getting dropped or the infamous, "can you hear me?, hello, can you hear me? hello?" grrrr....vz all the way....sorry att fan boys but personally, i can't stand att. Maybe someday they'll build their network big enough so they don't have to start thinking about limiting your calls and data because they're so bogged down with less phones than vzw.
    01-11-10 11:31 AM

The phone turns off internet to make a phone call or turn off phone to serf the web. All phone calls are just pings to the radio, that will turn off the internet as soon as you pick them up.
    Thanks for the well-written explanation!
    01-11-10 12:02 PM
    Yes you can do both on VZW. However, you need a WiFi enabled phone that has an active connection. As long as you're connected, you can talk and surf at the same time. But if you don't have WiFi, you can't do it.
    01-11-10 12:27 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD