I'm sure most of you have received the texts and emails by now but Freedom Mobile (still an awful name!!) is expanding their B4 and B7 LTE network starting on the West Coast and finishing in Toronto by Spring, 2018. This on its own was somewhat good news as there seemed to be some resistance from a large proportion of their subscribers to purchasing an all new B66 compatible device and having to enrol in plans that were significantly more expensive than what they had.

Now Freedom (UGH!) have announced that they are adding LTE service to grandfathered plans (and devices that are compatible to B4/7) as it becomes available in their area for free, which is pretty much everyone these days.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting pretty decent 3G+ service these days and am not fussed one way or the other about LTE but for those that have been stubbornly holding onto their grandfathered plans while envying those on LTE this should prove to be very good news indeed.
    11-09-17 08:24 AM
    Always good when service providers expand or improve their networks.... especially when the do it without forcing you to pay for it.
    11-09-17 08:46 AM
    I heard you have to make sure you don't have BB BiS on your account. Otherwise LTE will not work. Also, how does one change their APN address to Freedom Mobile on an OS10 device. Mine is still stuck on wind's old APN address. thx
    11-11-17 02:35 AM
    I heard you have to make sure you don't have BB BiS on your account. Otherwise LTE will not work. Also, how does one change their APN address to Freedom Mobile on an OS10 device. Mine is still stuck on wind's old APN address. thx
    Yeah, removal of BIS is needed to access LTE, you'll have to call in and get them to do it, you can't do it manually or through the stores.

Changing the APN Settings:

Settings > Networks and Connections > Mobile Network > APN (Bottom Centre of Screen) > (Change APN to internet.freedommobile.ca) > Save

Changing the MMS Settings:

From Main Screen > Text Messages > (Bottom Right Corner Hit the Three Vertical Dots) > Settings > Text Messages > Advanced (Bottom Centre) > (Change MMSC URL to http://mmsfreedommobile.ca) > (Change Proxy URL to 74.115.197.70:8080 if it's not set as such already) > Save
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 11-11-17 at 06:29 AM.
    11-11-17 06:17 AM
    Always good when service providers expand or improve their networks.... especially when the do it without forcing you to pay for it.
    I consider it payback for the really crappy times I had to put up with since 2010 Having said that, there have been dramatic improvements especially over the last 3 years.
    11-11-17 06:30 AM
    Thanks for the tips. I can't change my APN. It seems to be locked. Is there any way to over ride it (development mode)?

Also, shouldn't it be: mms.freedommobile.ca for the MMSC setting?
    11-11-17 12:47 PM
    Thanks for the tips. I can't change my APN. It seems to be locked. Is there any way to over ride it (development mode)?

Also, shouldn't it be: mms.freedommobile.ca for the MMSC setting?
    The MMS setting is always a URL thus the http:// prefix.

Some people have said they've had to go to a store and get a new SIM, that would probably explain why you can't reset the APN. I'm not sure where you are but try and go to a corporate store, franchised stores will try to charge you for the SIM, corp. stores are unlikely to in my experience. To better identify a corp. store, the ones that are listed as warranty centres (with the wrench next to their names) at Freedom's web site are almost certainly corporate.
    11-11-17 01:50 PM
    Got a new sim card at freedom. no change
    11-11-17 05:33 PM
    I changed my APN after doing security wipe. I had to be super quick to change the APN, before it read the windmobile APN off my sim card. Now my Internet works and incoming mms's work. But, I can't send MMS's . I keep getting a "failed to save message" error. Any ideas how to fix this?
    11-12-17 02:22 AM
    I changed my APN after doing security wipe. I had to be super quick to change the APN, before it read the windmobile APN off my sim card. Now my Internet works and incoming mms's work. But, I can't send MMS's . I keep getting a "failed to save message" error. Any ideas how to fix this?
    Not too sure what to suggest now. I have heard that some people are having trouble sending MSM messages to the US since the switch, and not just on BB devices. Are you sending your messages locally or to the States? I would also check to see if LTE is still active on your account (not that this has anything to do with MSM), there have been reports of people having to re-activate it after deleting BIS.

This is obviously a Freedom settings issue not a BB issue so I would be on that phone and hassle them on my first opportunity.
    11-12-17 06:34 AM
    Not too sure what to suggest now. I have heard that some people are having trouble sending MSM messages to the US since the switch, and not just on BB devices. Are you sending your messages locally or to the States? I would also check to see if LTE is still active on your account (not that this has anything to do with MSM), there have been reports of people having to re-activate it after deleting BIS.

This is obviously a Freedom settings issue not a BB issue so I would be on that phone and hassle them on my first opportunity.
    Yes, it's a local issue. I'll call tech support.
    11-12-17 12:57 PM
    Yes, it's a local issue. I'll call tech support.
    I'm not bothering about LTE until it's been confirmed in Toronto. I'm not sure where you are but my 3G+ speeds are more than adequate for how I use my devices (mostly email, messaging, and some Netflix). Hopefully what ever issues Freedom has with some device set ups (it's not just BlackBerrys) will be sorted out by then.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-17 10:36 AM
    Has anyone received LTE on a BB10 device at all with Freedom either Home or Away?

I've had an LTE plan for almost 6 months, but the best I get is 3G on Away and 4G Home. I don't have an option for LTE at all.

I also have a new SIM and changed the APN to internet.freedommobile.ca

Posted via CB10
    11-13-17 10:14 PM
    Has anyone received LTE on a BB10 device at all with Freedom either Home or Away?

I've had an LTE plan for almost 6 months, but the best I get is 3G on Away and 4G Home. I don't have an option for LTE at all.

I also have a new SIM and changed the APN to internet.freedommobile.ca

Posted via CB10
    Which device are you using?
    11-14-17 06:16 AM
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.3.2205

We also have a Z30 and I've tried in a Freedom sold Q10 as well

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 06:51 AM
    Just checked my SIM in my Idol 4s and it reads 2G, 4G, LTE. In my BB10 it reads 2G, 3G, 4G. I'm guessing the reads are both the same but using different terminology (Due to WIND's erroneous reporting of 3G+ as 4G) as the SIM seems to be set to LTE.
    11-14-17 08:45 AM
    On Bell, my phone will say LTE.

When roaming all I get is 3G even though it's supposed to be LTE.

I don't think we will get LTE on BlackBerry devices. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of configuration issue on Freedom's end because there is no reason the LTE option should disappear.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 09:48 AM
    On Bell, my phone will say LTE.

When roaming all I get is 3G even though it's supposed to be LTE.

I don't think we will get LTE on BlackBerry devices. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of configuration issue on Freedom's end because there is no reason the LTE option should disappear.

Posted via CB10
    Have you checked to see if BIS has been cancelled from you account (if you ever had it)? You may need to ask Freedom to reactivate LTE once you've removed BIS. There is no reason for LTE not to run on BB devices on Freedom, the correct bands are on pretty much all BB10 devices (bands 4, 7, 13 on most, +66 on Motion) unless there's an issue at Freedom's end. Bear in mind that bands 4, 7, and 13 are operating in limited areas right now and unless you have a motion you don't have B66.

Keep pestering those CSRs, you're paying for a service you're not getting!
    11-14-17 12:47 PM
    The Twitter rep last night didn't even know what BlackBerry Internet Service was...

I'll keep trying, I guess not many of us on Freedom with BB10 devices.

Away LTE should work, regardless of whether Home works or not.

I was briefly in Ottawa when LTE was lit up on Band 4 and had no success then.

I'm sure they'll keep telling me to wait because there's not Band 66 on my phone and LTE isn't active where I am yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 01:08 PM
    Have you checked to see if BIS has been cancelled from you account (if you ever had it)? You may need to ask Freedom to reactivate LTE once you've removed BIS. There is no reason for LTE not to run on BB devices on Freedom, the correct bands are on pretty much all BB10 devices (bands 4, 7, 13 on most, +66 on Motion) unless there's an issue at Freedom's end. Bear in mind that bands 4, 7, and 13 are operating in limited areas right now and unless you have a motion you don't have B66.

Keep pestering those CSRs, you're paying for a service you're not getting!
    No BIS, the SIM can pick up both Home and Away LTE in a Band 66 ZTE from Freedom.

Something happens in the Passport to stop it from seeing LTE.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-17 04:14 PM
    No BIS, the SIM can pick up both Home and Away LTE in a Band 66 ZTE from Freedom.

Something happens in the Passport to stop it from seeing LTE.

Posted via CB10
    Just had a call from someone I know at Freedom's HQ. There is an issue with devices unable to read the new network which are using the old SIM and a switch to a new SIM with the updated APN is recommended. If you are in an area that is yet to have the new LTE update it's also recommended you wait until the network is active in your area before trying to fix the issue now even if it's happening while you're visiting an area where the network is already active.

This person also went on to say that this is not an issue that's only occurring with BlackBerry devices but it does seem more common with those as most are using the older SIM card.

If you're in an area where the network is active, you have a new SIM, and you're still having issues, check with a CSR to ensure LTE has been added to your account. Once it's been confirmed a hard reboot is recommended.
    11-15-17 09:09 AM
    Does anyone know what the newest sim card is ? (model number)
    11-15-17 09:27 AM
    Basically that's what I've been told - wait until LTE is active at home before troubleshooting futher.

It's a "we don't know or care to know how to solve the problem" response.

I paid for LTE before they gave it to everyone, thinking I'd at least get Away LTE when outside the Freedom area, but have never been able to get it.

Next time I'm in Hamilton (apparently a band 4 LTE zone now, even though it's now showing up in Cell Mapper, a CSR told me it's active now) I'll call in if I don't get LTE, as I was told to do, and hopefully can push them a bit futher to solve this problem.

LTE works on the SIM I have now, just not in any BlackBerry device.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-17 09:32 AM
    Mine is OBP6A. I picked it up in the summer.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-17 09:33 AM
    Mine is OBP6A. I picked it up in the summer.

Posted via CB10
    There was a suggestion from a friend of mine this morning that some of this confusion can at least attributed to the way WIND originally had the SIM recognise the available networks. I'm not sure how accurate this is but it does strike me as interesting that it seems that people I've chatted to are more likely to be having issues the longer they've had Freedom/WIND accounts.
    11-15-17 12:26 PM
82 123 ...