I am considering leaving VZ for the iphone. If I pay my ETF, switch to ATT, then find the coverage doesnt work for me. I can cancel my ATT contract in the first 30 days, no problem.

My question is if I wanted to go back to VZ.

Do you think they would refund the ETF and put me back in my original plan?
    Do you see any issues porting my number from VZ to ATT, then back to VZ?
    02-12-10 08:02 AM
    Yes they will, just go get the Iphone and leave ou VZW account in tact - check ATT policy first. if you like then do what you must, if not cancel ATT and move on with VZW.
    02-12-10 08:09 AM
    I believe you have 60 days to come back and get a refunded ETF or at least that's what the CS rep told me when I terminated mine. Doubt you'd be able to get the same plan though if you had one that's been phased out.
    Last edited by PJnc284; 02-12-10 at 08:37 AM.
    02-12-10 08:34 AM
    I did the very thing you are asking:

Left Verizon for AT&T (yeah yeah yeah, I know...for an iPhone...)

I returned the iPhones after day 29. Came back to Verizon, dumb me, I had sold my phones on eBay. They called it a "winback" (and used that code in the computer). We were credited back our ETFs, since our account had been closed, allowed to have 2 year pricing on any devices (2 lines) and started a new contract.
    02-12-10 08:55 AM
    You have a trial period with ATT for 30 days with VZW. It's due to our loyalty program and as mark said "winback."
    02-12-10 09:11 AM
    The winback period is 90 days. And the ETF will be credited or reimbursed if you come back within that time.
    02-12-10 09:36 AM
    Not quite the same situation, but I think similar enough to keep in one thread:

My contract with VZW is up. If I cancel now, are there any issues I would run into should I want to come back a few months down the road (e.g. not eligible for new customer pricing, etc.)?

If I leave, I will probably want to port my number. Would VZW prevent me from porting it back someday?
    02-12-10 11:10 AM
    I am considering leaving VZ for the iphone. If I pay my ETF, switch to ATT, then find the coverage doesnt work for me. I can cancel my ATT contract in the first 30 days, no problem.

My question is if I wanted to go back to VZ.

Do you think they would refund the ETF and put me back in my original plan?
    Do you see any issues porting my number from VZ to ATT, then back to VZ?
    Why not just buy an iPhone, sign up for the Verizon MIFI and carry it with you while using the iPhones wifi connection?? I've seen it done before...
    02-12-10 11:42 AM
    Why not just buy an iPhone, sign up for the Verizon MIFI and carry it with you while using the iPhones wifi connection?? I've seen it done before...
    Don't you have to pay for MiFi support? $60 a month? Why do that? Even if you decided to go the route, the iPhone cannot make phone calls over WiFi (UMA)...only T-Mobile supports that. So you can only get messages (not even SMS) and internet. Just go with a carrier that works in your area.

AT&T worked okay for me, some dead spots, but the main reason why I came back is EVERYONE we call is on Verizon. So it only makes sense to have Verizon as well. We had to have a much higher minute plan on AT&T and my discount is higher with Verizon...so it only makes logical sense to be back on Verizon.
    02-12-10 12:18 PM
    I already have an iTouch. I have tried to use the Storm to listen to music, but I prefer the iTouch. I also would prefer to surf the web on the iTouch over the Storm. I already carry two devices, I just want to get down to one. It seemed easier to ditch the Storm and switch to ATT for the iphone. I dont want to carry a Storm, pay extra for MIFI, and also have to carry an extra device when I could switch to another carrier and only have to carry one device.
    02-12-10 12:44 PM
    Agree with you jpf22467...just go with one device. I had an iPod Touch, but sold it because I was tired of carrying two devices. The Touch is reliant on wifi...so I found myself just using my Storm2 (Opera Mini 5 Beta 2) and love it. I am a fan of iPods for music, but hated carrying two devices, so I ditched the iPod and use my Storm2. I mainly just use Pandora so it's easy and hassle free.
    02-12-10 02:40 PM
    I just did a trial run with the iphone myself. I ported my vzw number to att. I loved the iphone and the service was good in my area. Unfortunately having my line on att and having my kids' lines on vzw just wasn't working out and paying 3 ETFs would have been almost $600.

So anyway I ported back to vzw. Meanwhile they had sent a postcard in the mail offering an upgrade if I came back (even though I just got my storm 2 on Oct 31). They did credit back the ETF. I was only charged a $35 activation fee for the upgrade which I had let my daughter have.

Att, however, was the stinker. They tried to charge me an ETF which they eventually did reverse after I called them. I was also under the impression that I was supposed to only pay a prorated amount for the two weeks I had the iphone but att refused to prorate so I got stuck paying a full month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 10:13 AM
    That happened me too! I got charged an ETF from AT&T even though I was within thirty days. I returned the equipment and ported back to Verizon well within my thirty days. I ended up paying for an entire month worth of service. Verizon welcomed me back with open arms...I had the ETF fees credited back, upgrades for both of my lines even though we had upgraded just a few months prior, and my employee discount was put on immediately and saw the discount on my very first bill...

I won't leave you again Verizon...promise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 11:51 AM
    Don't you have to pay for MiFi support? $60 a month? Why do that? Even if you decided to go the route, the iPhone cannot make phone calls over WiFi (UMA)...only T-Mobile supports that. So you can only get messages (not even SMS) and internet. Just go with a carrier that works in your area.
    Granted, you can't make calls over it unless there's some sort of skype mobile app out there. (Actually, I think Friing or whatever it's called does that, but I think it's WinMo only.) That said, there ARE customers, quite a few of them in fact, who get themselves Mifis just for that purpose. And heck, it's handy to have a cellular internet connection that can handle 5 devices at once. Seriously, just think about it: WiFi in your car for every road trip.

Honestly, if I were to pick one up, it'd be for my DSi.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 02-14-10 at 02:50 PM.
    02-14-10 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD