If this was already discussed I apologize I tried searching and couldn't find anything. I have been with Rogers for a few years now. I live in Hamilton, Ontario and work in Oakville. I have used my phone for many years at work no problem. For the past couple of months I have been getting charged for long distance, but I figured must have not been paying attention. This months bill was very noticable though. So I took a closer look. It turns out rogers is charging me LD for every call I make at work.

So I called them and they say they changed their LD coverages in Dec, so now when I'm in Oakville I'm outside my local area and getting charged LD. My question is what can I do about it? I'm currently only 8 months into a 3 year contract. Does anyone know if the 'competition' (bell, telus or wind) charge LD also for those areas. I tried finding maps but all I can find is Rogers.

Any input is really appreciated. Thanks

Matt
    02-11-10 08:22 PM
    Threaten to leave. I got the 1000LD minutes for $5, and then a $5 credit lol. To get the previous charges credited seems 50/50.. I'm more thinking the 'not gonna happen' side, but at least it can help with future costs...

Just call, say 'cancel my phone', and state that due to an area change you NEED Rogers to provide you with more.
    02-11-10 08:52 PM
    Actually when I called they did offer me the 1000 ld minutes for 5 bucks. Nothing about a credit though. He offered me 100 minutes of ld for free. In both scenarios they wanted ms to resign my contract and that's what really pissed me off. They just changed my service to where it's unusable and the only solution is me paying them more money. I really wanna punch someone from Rogers right now. ROGERS YOU SUCK !!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 10:05 PM
    Lol, well see if you can negotiate any other part of your plan - and ask if you can get a hardware upgrade too - that way, say if you can get the 9700 for cheap, then you can always sell it?. I mean if you're gonna resign, you do it for a reason :P.
    02-12-10 07:01 AM
    So what youre saying is you failed to read the notification that Rogers sent to you on your Bill prior to November stating that the calling area was changing for you, so now it's there fault because you didn't call sooner to ask about it.

Typical.

Anyhow, either which way, whereever you call that is local to your physical location will be a local call. If it's not normally a LD call from that area then yes you will get charged.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ad..._-longdistance should be able to help you out.

What sucks is that Rogers doesn't keep all the maps on there site for people to reference. So now that the calling area has changed, the maps are gone and the new ones are there for the ones that are changing in March.

My area is changing too, but after doing very extensive research on it, and having access to the local calling area too, it doesn't look like too much will appearing any different for me.

And believe me, I tried to figure out every scenario to see if I could qualify myself for the 1000 LD plan, but it doesn't seem like it would work for.

While reading through the maps though, really, the LCAs haven't really changed that much, yes some areas may have gotten smaller, but to be quite honest, they haven't gotten to small so I fail to see what the big hoopla is over the whole deal.
    Last edited by phone_junkie; 02-12-10 at 04:41 PM.
    02-12-10 04:38 PM
    Hey Phone Junkie

Maybe not much has changed for you but for me alot has. I live in Hamilton and if you look on their site the local area is incredibly small. If I drive out to Burlington which is about 10 min away I'm already out of my area and I'm paying LD at $.30/min. That makes my bill which used to be $75 go over $100 and on bad months way over a $100. You're gonna say that it's my fault because I didn't read the notice on my bill?? How about the fact that it's not fair? If I can make a call with a regular land line from work to my house and it's not LD and I can't with my cell phone. In fact I can't even answer my phone anymore cause I'll be paying LD even though that wasn't the case when I signed my contract.

I don't really understand people like you...a wireless company is taking stuff away from you when the entire world is getting more for their buck. In europe and in the states they get incredible plans for less. Unlimited data and minutes for a reasonable price. At the same time we here in Canada are getting less for our money's worth and they seem to charge for everything nowadays. Evening used to start at 6PM as it should now it's 9PM...you can pay extra $7 to get that. Incoming text messages, international text messages...calling areas, extra LD plans etc etc. They're nickel and diming you to death and you're loving it.

I'm really hoping that Wind Mobile brings a little competition to this monopoly. The only thing stopping me is I'm not sure how their signal is. For $70/mnth + tax I can get unlimited talk and Data with call display, province wide LD, SMS everything. It's perfect. Hope they're gonna keep that up as they grow. I'm almost tempted to cancel my contract with Rogers and go over to Wind.
    02-12-10 07:41 PM
    So, before you scallywaggle over to WIND. Why don't you simply add a my5CanadaWide or even a LD plan in the mean time. Instead of incurring all the extra charges. Sure you're gonna have to spend maybe $15-20 more but it's better than another $50 in LD charges.

I'm not disagreeing that they're nickle an diming, I thought for sure the new plans would've been better since there's a bit more competition. But with WIND only having about 10,000 new subscribers, that's peanuts to the Big 3. Perhaps it will get better down the road, we can only hope.

But in this day in age, everything is going up, nothing is going down, we just have to live with in, and conserve where needed.

Hey Phone Junkie

Maybe not much has changed for you but for me alot has. I live in Hamilton and if you look on their site the local area is incredibly small. If I drive out to Burlington which is about 10 min away I'm already out of my area and I'm paying LD at $.30/min. That makes my bill which used to be $75 go over $100 and on bad months way over a $100. You're gonna say that it's my fault because I didn't read the notice on my bill?? How about the fact that it's not fair? If I can make a call with a regular land line from work to my house and it's not LD and I can't with my cell phone. In fact I can't even answer my phone anymore cause I'll be paying LD even though that wasn't the case when I signed my contract.

I don't really understand people like you...a wireless company is taking stuff away from you when the entire world is getting more for their buck. In europe and in the states they get incredible plans for less. Unlimited data and minutes for a reasonable price. At the same time we here in Canada are getting less for our money's worth and they seem to charge for everything nowadays. Evening used to start at 6PM as it should now it's 9PM...you can pay extra $7 to get that. Incoming text messages, international text messages...calling areas, extra LD plans etc etc. They're nickel and diming you to death and you're loving it.

I'm really hoping that Wind Mobile brings a little competition to this monopoly. The only thing stopping me is I'm not sure how their signal is. For $70/mnth + tax I can get unlimited talk and Data with call display, province wide LD, SMS everything. It's perfect. Hope they're gonna keep that up as they grow. I'm almost tempted to cancel my contract with Rogers and go over to Wind.
    02-12-10 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD