Lets face it: Cell phone billing systems are absurdly complex and cumbersome: They confuse, they frustrate, and they brilliantly hide over-charges and mistakes, which happen all the time. Believe me, if you don't drill down into your phone bill every few months, there's a good chance you're being over charged.

Get even. Know your discounts. If you're a long term Sprint cust, you could qualify for a $20/monthly discount called NVP (national volume pricing). Here's how to get it: Call up; threaten to cancel; get transferred to account retention and scream until you get it.

Also, if you have AAA you can get an 11% discount just for asking. Same if you belong to a credit union (10%). There may be others. Ask. Ask. ASK. If not, you could wake up dead from a thousand cuts...

Personally, I have drawn the line at 877 cuts. Good luck.
    Last edited by calebNH; 01-07-10 at 07:56 PM.
    01-07-10 06:38 PM
    I wish they gave me my 25% discount on my unlimited everything plan, please someone tell me that they changed that policy because that would save me so much money
    01-07-10 07:03 PM
    go for it. If you're willing to make a few phone calls you could save yourself a pile of $. It might take a few phone calls though. The discounts are legitimate, but the inclination of the CSR's to negotiate/release discounts is hit and miss. It's unscientific, but I seem to have the best luck when I call in the late morning, when I can get connected to CSR's on other than the East Coast. Be patient (don't actually scream). You will know when you get a hold of the right rep.
    01-07-10 07:55 PM
    never heard of this nvp thing you're talking about, but it doesn't sound like something you would normally "qualify" for if you have to call up and threaten to cancel and then yell at retentions to get.
    01-07-10 10:17 PM
    Public Safety, EMS, Firemen, 15% or up, across the whole bill. (Even additional lines).

They'll ask for ID, but in the last 8 years they haven't called to verify yet.
    01-07-10 10:39 PM
    Comcast employees get 20% off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-10 11:00 PM
    Public Safety, EMS, Firemen, 15% or up, across the whole bill. (Even additional lines).

They'll ask for ID, but in the last 8 years they haven't called to verify yet.
    Maybe check to see if the government that employees those job classifications can give a better discount? I work for a Public Safety department, but I get a 20% discount when I use the City's name as my employer. All I had to do is e-mail and ask if I was entitled to a discount, and then e-mail back when they replied to my e-mail asking for the name and phone number of a supervisor.
    01-08-10 12:04 AM
    If you tell them you work for GM you get 27% and if you work for a movie theater company that's not AMC but I forget the name you get 25%. All they do is ask is a few questions and they don't even verify. Hope this helps some people out

01-08-10 02:27 AM
    I just found out that as a State of NJ employee, I can get a 15% discount. Gonna take advantage of this.
    01-08-10 10:04 AM
    Can you combine these discounts? I currently am getting 23% disc from my employer.
    01-08-10 12:14 PM
    Can you combine these discounts? I currently am getting 23% disc from my employer.
    Technically, no. But everything Sprint is on a per case basis based on who you talk to and how...

Not likely though.
    01-08-10 02:15 PM
    Military gets 25%
    01-08-10 07:20 PM
    Military gets 25%
    Not sure where you get your infor but military only gets 10% unless im being lied to
    01-09-10 05:50 PM
    Wells Fargo employees get 27%.
    01-09-10 09:29 PM
    Not sure where you get your infor but military only gets 10% unless im being lied to
    That is correct.
    01-09-10 09:46 PM
    This is why I love Sprint. I called Customer Care, to inquire about a sign I saw in a Sprint Store stating that LEO/EMS/FireFighters can qualify for 25% discounts now. I currently get 19%.

The Rep couldn't find it anywhere, and was very apologetic. So what does Sprint do? Well, I have the 129.99 1500 Everything Data plan with 2 lines. He gives me a 20 dollar credit per month, for the next two years. Then he goes on to explain that the 19% will be discounted from the 129.99 figure, not the 109.99. So now my bill will be 85 dollars, for two phones before taxes.

Other carriers may get the best phones first, but they'll never get my money. I'll wait for Sprint to drop something great, and they will. I can't get 450 minutes on verizon with 250 text messages, and a data plan for that price. Love Sprint.
    01-10-10 11:52 PM
    When I upgraded in 08, my rep actually asked me what organizations I belonged to and company I worked for and got me the best discount.

I have been quite satsified with that, and the service I've received, as well as the Customer Service people I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

But forewarned is forearmed. The more you know, the less likely you'll have to get mad later.

01-11-10 12:06 AM
    When I upgraded in 08, my rep actually asked me what organizations I belonged to and company I worked for and got me the best discount.

I have been quite satsified with that, and the service I've received, as well as the Customer Service people I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

But forewarned is forearmed. The more you know, the less likely you'll have to get mad later.

Be safe out there on the roads, big guy!
    01-11-10 12:12 AM
    Be safe out there on the roads, big guy!
    Thank you. I always do my best. My best wishes to you and yours.

01-11-10 12:19 AM
    Sprint offered me a $45 plan which was 800 minutes and unlimited everything else. That was a pretty good discount.
    01-11-10 12:04 PM
    When i got my phone back in 03 and signed up for the contract I was in the Navy and they gave me a 23% discount. Though I was also a member of Navy federal credit union. I have been out the Navy for over a year and still get the discount.
    01-11-10 12:18 PM
    Sears and K-Mart employees get 25% discount
    01-11-10 09:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD