12-11-09 09:12 PM
27 12
tools
    So bought the BB 9700 and switched to the HSPA network last month, and my first bill arrived today:

-$256 in US roaming charges even though I never once made or received a call in the US.

-$125 "equipment exchange fee" that was never mentioned to me (I went from a Curve to the Bold).

-$25 "Equipment Repair" fee, even though I've never had anything repaired.

-$20 "Rate Plan Change" fee. I was on the same plan for the past 6 years and now changed over to the $50 "Clear Choice" plan, but apparently have to pay $20 for the pleasure of that change.

I'm gearing up for more wasted time phoning Telus.

And as a side note, I get several "call failed!" and "congestion!" messages thoughout the day, and the call quality is crackly when I do connect.

Word to the wise, don't be too quick to jump on to the new network!
    12-08-09 08:23 AM
    So bought the BB 9700 and switched to the HSPA network last month, and my first bill arrived today:

-$256 in US roaming charges even though I never once made or received a call in the US.

-$125 "equipment exchange fee" that was never mentioned to me (I went from a Curve to the Bold).

-$25 "Equipment Repair" fee, even though I've never had anything repaired.

-$20 "Rate Plan Change" fee. I was on the same plan for the past 6 years and now changed over to the $50 "Clear Choice" plan, but apparently have to pay $20 for the pleasure of that change.

I'm gearing up for more wasted time phoning Telus.

And as a side note, I get several "call failed!" and "congestion!" messages thoughout the day, and the call quality is crackly when I do connect.

Word to the wise, don't be too quick to jump on to the new network!
    ya man im going back to cdma im having problems with the hspa network
    12-08-09 09:14 AM
    Holy !#@$ thats bananas

CDMA 4 life....
    12-08-09 09:32 AM
    Other then turning off your phone while away from Canada, is thee any way to stop text messages?
    12-08-09 10:26 AM
    ya man im going back to cdma im having problems with the hspa network
    Me too, I'm switching back today.

I just called and it turns out I was charged all the roaming fees because, with HSPA, when you're in the US you pay when someone calls you even if you don't answer. I never once answered the phone, but everytime someone called me I was charged $1.45.

I go to the US alot so I think CDMA may be better for me.
    12-08-09 11:26 AM
    Me too, I'm switching back today.

I just called and it turns out I was charged all the roaming fees because, with HSPA, when you're in the US you pay when someone calls you even if you don't answer. I never once answered the phone, but everytime someone called me I was charged $1.45.

I go to the US alot so I think CDMA may be better for me.
    yes man telus is like so different now, like what happened to the future is friendly? its more like the only future telus is concerned with now is how much money they can get, like there customer service is crap now. net time i call like i think ill just get my laywer to talk to them lol i might get get some were than.
    12-08-09 12:19 PM
    ...ouch. So you have to pay more for their hspa service upgrade... then pay more to switch to the network they prefer you to be on.... then pay more for a new unit they prefer you to be on.... and charge you A LOT more for using said preferred network.

Is Telus turning into Rogers? . . .
    12-08-09 12:47 PM
    That's not sounding good for the switch over if they are going to be charging an arm and a leg and ...
    12-08-09 02:06 PM
    holy crap... thanks for sharing

on CDMA I can text in the US for free, don't get charged unless I answer the phone... the HSPA sounds utterly useless at the moment, for someone who travels out of country often
    12-08-09 04:46 PM
    yes man telus is like so different now, like what happened to the future is friendly? its more like the only future telus is concerned with now is how much money they can get, like there customer service is crap now. net time i call like i think ill just get my laywer to talk to them lol i might get get some were than.
    WOW!!?! I definitely recommend you get a lawyer to do you negotiating...

CDMA FOR LIFE!!!! I am still amazed at all the people who were brainwashed over a 'NEW and IMPROVED' network.
    12-08-09 07:01 PM
    Other then turning off your phone while away from Canada, is thee any way to stop text messages?
    Under Options > Security Options > Firewall > §check§ to block whatever you want

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 07:01 PM
    dail-up for life! WHO needs to have clear calls or technology to evolve. I still like the hiss-crackle-pop sounds.
    All new technology should work flawlessly and function the same as old.
    I still make my own fire..it's free! lighters, gas, I say doom on you.
    If you travel then dont switch now if u dont got the cash or don't want to turn off roaming. Anyone else talking trash about this amazing new service is out to lunch and just angry u don't want to pay more.
    12-08-09 07:40 PM
    Will definitely be hanging on to my Tour until 2011 when my contract expires. Should be plenty of time for Telus to work out all the bugs and issues people are having with the new network.
    12-08-09 07:56 PM
    Under Options > Security Options > Firewall > §check§ to block whatever you want

Be careful with this. Read in another post that you will still get charged. All that does is block it from showing on your phone but technically its still delivered to your phone.

12-08-09 09:22 PM
    Wow....boy am i sure glad I was able to get out of my other contract which I wanted to put on HSPA without an ETF....jeez...i hope you get most of that credited dude...
    12-08-09 09:54 PM
    Live by the states? I know I get roaming charges cause I go to Costco and its about 5 minutes from the states so I always get a little more tacked onto my bill.
    12-09-09 02:03 AM
    I found a nice surprise on my Telus account today.

Because of some screw up in their system, they charged me $2,500.00 for data the first 8 days I had my new device. Haha my jaw hit the floor.
    Supposedly it's all straightened out and will be fixed at the end of this billing cycle. Otherwise this might drag on for a month or two.

As for signal, I've only lost it 3 or 4 times, each time for less than a minute. Call quality is good.
    12-10-09 12:04 AM
    just looked at my online bill, 130$, everything looks fine on my end.

I dont live by the states or anything like that. Also in Montreal on my Hero i havent had any issues with the new network besides that SMS jam that left me without texting for 6 days (they were stuck in the server and wouldnt send to my device)

All good on my side
    12-10-09 03:50 AM
    I found a nice surprise on my Telus account today.

Because of some screw up in their system, they charged me $2,500.00 for data the first 8 days I had my new device. Haha my jaw hit the floor.
    Supposedly it's all straightened out and will be fixed at the end of this billing cycle. Otherwise this might drag on for a month or two.
    That happened to me too about 3 mos ago when I swapped my curve for a refurb curve under warranty. The employee at the store transferred my plan over to the refurb curve but there was no code to transfer over my unlimited data package so she just left me with no data plan at all. Next bill: $1,900 in data! Telus was just fine to deal with though, they credited it back right away. It took 2 calls though, they first credited me the $1900 in data charges, but not the $220 tax on the data.

Also, regarding my original post, I called Telus and they had no problem crediting me for all the misc. wrong charges. It's funny though, the person I spoke to at L&R swore up and down that SMS is still free in the US, and you're not charged for calls as long as you don't answer, just like on the CDMA network. I told her I wish she was right but my bill disagrees!
    Last edited by DaveInVan; 12-10-09 at 05:33 AM.
    12-10-09 05:31 AM
    Is Telus turning into Rogers? . . .

Funny you should mention that. I believe all these "extra" charges with US roaming (SMS to/in USA) has to do with TELUS switching roaming partner from Verizon (CDMA only) to AT&T on the new HSPA network. It really not much TELUS can do if they are being charged by AT&T when their customers are on or using the AT&T Network...

Hopefully they can come up with some better roaming agreements. I do believe my friend using Rogers told me that if he gets calls in the states, he get charged regardless if he picks up or not (and Rogers "IS" AT&T).

In short, i think AT&T is the blood sucking monster here.. not the Canadian companies...
    12-10-09 11:16 AM
    Live by the states? I know I get roaming charges cause I go to Costco and its about 5 minutes from the states so I always get a little more tacked onto my bill.
    To avoid that, go into mobile network settings and switch network selection mode to "home only" and make sure you have the data off when roaming in the data services menu.. Once you do that, your phone should only connect to your carrier, and eliminate the roaming charges if you're close to the border. I did that with my phone (currently working in sarnia, close to the port huron border) and the triangle that shows you're roaming hasnt shown up since i set to the home only mode..
    12-10-09 07:39 PM
    Sorry just need clarification. You get charged for sms texts from the states while you are in Canada or whie you are in the states?

Kos

12-11-09 11:02 AM
    Lets say you have an unlimited text plan:
    You can text to the Canada and the US, from Canada, without extra fees.
    You will pay I think it's .65 cents to text from the US to Canada, or to the US, while on a US network.
    12-11-09 02:29 PM
    Ohhhh ok, so if I go to the hspa I won't get charged for texts from the us while I am in Canada, just get charged if I am in the us on their network.

That does suck cause me and the wife texted without being charged an arm and a leg when we were in hawaii earlier in the year.

I guess that's one more reason to stay on cdma for as long as possible.

Kos

12-11-09 03:57 PM
    Do you get charged for texts from the US while in Canada on CDMA now? I could have sworn I never did..?

And yeah, CDMA is the way to go for US interactions. The girlfriend and I went to Florida this time last year and were able to text each other, free of charge, it was a thing of beauty.

I'm debating going back to CDMA myself, as I travel to the US a lot. (I do have an AT&T BlackBerry as well though!)
    12-11-09 04:14 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD