Hi folks.
    Recently I bought BB8900 locked to ATT. My first step was calling CS and asking for an unlock code. It took 3 business days.

Next I found out that UMA is not working. After 3 hours I made it working

Follow these steps (it worked for me)
    1. Go for instructions here:

AllUnlocks.com - UMA Unlocking

2. Certificates you need won't work from instruction site (expired links). You will obtain them here (use your BB browser):

http://www.twoeighteighty.com/uma_files/trustcert.der
    http://www.twoeighteighty.com/uma_fi...obile_root.der

3. get e-screen unlock code here:

BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth)

Enjoy!
    08-25-09 08:49 PM
    This is awesome! Thank you!

I am just curious, but how do you know its working? The UMA symbol appears?
    I wasn't sure because the ATT 8900 doesn't support it.

Glad you got it working!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 08:26 AM
    I turned off network connection and used wi-fi. I could make calls and had UMA instead of EDGE so I guess it works!
    08-26-09 10:47 AM
    This is GOLDEN! I'm doing this on my Bold when I have the time.
    08-26-09 05:03 PM
    Doesn't work on the Bold Hardware does not support it. Oh well, at least I tried...
    08-27-09 12:51 PM
    Sorry to hear that, quailallstar. Anyway bold is a nice device
    08-27-09 01:22 PM
    Thank you for posting up this info. It should help somone out there with 8900

08-27-09 01:28 PM
    Didnt realize att branded phones couldnt use UMA out the box. I wonder if flashing with a TMo OS would also do this
    08-28-09 12:16 AM
    Didnt realize att branded phones couldnt use UMA out the box. I wonder if flashing with a TMo OS would also do this
    That was the first thing (flashing tmo os) I tried to make UMA working, but without success. According to my knowledge after long research only the above instructions will help. It's sad none carrier but Tmo allows UMA calls on its network.
    08-28-09 02:22 AM
    It's sad none carrier but Tmo allows UMA calls on its network.
    Kinda makes you appreciate T-Mobile a little more huh?
    08-28-09 04:49 AM
    Kinda makes you appreciate T-Mobile a little more huh?
    Except for not greatest coverage everything else is fine. UMA was very useful in North Rim of Grand Canyon where (I guess) none carrier works and they had wi-fi in visiton center
    08-28-09 12:55 PM
    UMA is the MAIN reason I am still with T-Mobile, followed by low pricing and great customer service.

But I have to say, if I could not do UMA, I would be forced to leave T-Mobile.

All of the places I am regularly at have only one or two bars of EDGE service, but I have Wi-Fi set up at all of them, just so I can use my phone.

If I have to go out of the city to ANY rural area, my phone switches to AT&T with SOS emergency calling only.

Luckily I'm usually with my business partner and he ALWAYS has service on his 8900 with AT&T, but it still makes me mad that I WAS able to roam on AT&T towers, but now I can't.
    08-28-09 01:19 PM
    Luckily I'm usually with my business partner and he ALWAYS has service on his 8900 with AT&T, but it still makes me mad that I WAS able to roam on AT&T towers, but now I can't.
    Please tell us exactly where you live.
    08-28-09 01:55 PM
    Please tell us exactly where you live.
    South Carolina, and don't try to tell me there is something wrong with one of my apps causing me to not be able to roam on AT&T towers please.
    08-28-09 01:59 PM
    South Carolina, and don't try to tell me there is something wrong with one of my apps causing me to not be able to roam on AT&T towers please.
    You'd gain more credibility without the sarcasm and provocativeness.

Don't know much about the area other than the fact that the Carolinas are reported to be beautiful with a great quality of life.

Didn't T-Mobile recently buy some company there ... Suncom or something like that ... that they are upgrading and bringing into their network?
    08-28-09 02:15 PM
    You'd gain more credibility without the sarcasm and provocativeness.

Don't know much about the area other than the fact that the Carolinas are reported to be beautiful with a great quality of life.

Didn't T-Mobile recently buy some company there ... Suncom or something like that ... that they are upgrading and bringing into their network?
    Yes, T-Mobile bought Suncom, but it didn't fix any issues in my area.

All it did was add a couple of towers as "home towers", but it didn't fix anything.

It was right about the same time when the roaming agreements changed with AT&T.

T-Mobile won't put up any new towers in the areas here that currently have no service, so my only hope is that the roaming agreement changes back to where I can again roam on AT&T towers.

T-Mobile CSR "have no knowledge" of said roaming agreements either.

In short, UMA FTW!

08-28-09 02:52 PM
    Yes, T-Mobile bought Suncom, but it didn't fix any issues in my area.

All it did was add a couple of towers as "home towers", but it didn't fix anything.

It was right about the same time when the roaming agreements changed with AT&T.

T-Mobile won't put up any new towers in the areas here that currently have no service, so my only hope is that the roaming agreement changes back to where I can again roam on AT&T towers.

T-Mobile CSR "have no knowledge" of said roaming agreements either.

In short, UMA FTW!

I hope that your coverage issues improve. Keep in mind that frequently adding towers is not as easy as a carrier might like because they have to get government approval to add towers. It can really bog down the process.

I love T-Mobile but I am not a advocate of staying with a service that doesn't work for you where you need it. It sounds like you might want to consider other options.

I do agree with you that UMA rocks. I just recently moved but the house I lived in before was a complete dead zone for all carriers. It was behind a mountain range and no one could get permits to add towers. Without UMA, I couldn't have called 911 in an emergency (I haven't used a landline in like 10 years).

Again, hope this sorts itself out for you.
    08-28-09 11:37 PM
    ok so why dont they wanna add towers?.....forget the financial impact....
    08-31-09 10:35 AM
    ok so why dont they wanna add towers?.....forget the financial impact....
    My house is in a dead zone. Called T-Mobile and stated tower was planned near my house. The site was near a school and parents did not want the tower near a school and were legally blocking this after the city had agreement with T-Mobile. Now T-Mobile is suing the city and this may never get put up. This is one of reasons towers do not get put up.
    11-14-09 03:48 PM
    IT WORKED on my unlocked ATT 8820 too!!

1 Pulled the certs down from the 288 site on my bb browser.

2.Pulled up the Help me Screen.

3. went to the eScreen unlock page. (The only thing was I had to choose 1 day on the eScreen unlock code to get it the right code)

4. Followed the steps from AllUnlocks

And WHAM!! I got UMA !!!

My boss thought I was pulling his leg until I disabled my network connection called his office phone.

MANY THANKS!!!
    12-01-09 05:18 PM
    I am having an awful time trying to get the tmobile certificates onto an unlocked 8320. I bought an unlocked curve for my daughter and have gone thru all the steps on the different threads to get UMA to work. I have gone thru the engineering screen and created a new profile. All I need now are the certificates from T-Mobile. I have a T-Mobile 8320 that is UMA capable and emailed the certificates from my curve to myself. Now how do I transfer the certificates onto the new curve? I tried using Blackberry desktop manager, I have tried some of the links on the forum (all seem to be invalid now) but for the life of me I can't get the certificate onto the new curve. Thanks for any help.
    12-05-09 09:59 AM
    can someone please post somewhere where I can find the code generator because the link has been removed? Thanks.

ReyRey
    12-07-09 06:19 PM
    Evidently no-ip.com terminated my account and sub-domain without any sort of notification or details as to why. Incredibly unprofessional.

The generator can be reached at BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth) now. Same server, same generator, new URL.
    12-08-09 12:24 AM
    Perfect. I was able to use the CodeGenerator and followed the steps on AllUnlocks.com and it registered everything. It works but the only thing is that I do not see the UMA logog on the top. Could it be that I used the wrong certificate? I picked the one that the picture showed and all of the settings worked so I don't know why the UMA doesn't show. What do you think it could be?
    12-09-09 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD