The NEW iPhone 4G - Coming 2010

I never seen this site before.. but anyone know info on this? this would definetly crush AT&T and you think maybe Sprint might get it..
    12-21-09 02:06 PM
    I think they might. Seriously, going to anyone else with a 4g phone would be stupid. Some of this is probably just speculation though, not actual phone information. Possible though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-09 03:48 PM
    Apple will send it to Verizon and no other CDMA carrier. Sprint is not pulling the type of numbers that would keep Apple happy.

12-21-09 04:47 PM
    Well if it's coming in 2010 it would make sense for it to come to Sprint as Sprint is the only carrier with 4g up and running on portions of its network.

As far as Sprint pulling the numbers, AT$T only pulls the numbers it does because of the iPhone, you can bet your bottom dollar that those folks unhappy with their iPhone experience on AT$T will surely jump ship to whatever network gets the 4g iPhone.

All that being said, my gut tells me this is all fantasy and rumor started by either a Verizon fanboi or an attempt by the site to generate traffic and ad sales.
    12-21-09 04:58 PM
    I know ATT has a contract w/ Apple to exclusively sell the iPhone through a certain year; I thought it was 2011??

If so; that will obviously and completely kill the validity of a 2010 iPhone release on a CDMA network.

12-21-09 05:29 PM
    I know ATT has a contract w/ Apple to exclusively sell the iPhone through a certain year; I thought it was 2011??

If so; that will obviously and completely kill the validity of a 2010 iPhone release on a CDMA network.

Im pretty sure that the contract ends Dec. 31, 2009, but I could be wrong.
    12-21-09 05:32 PM
    at&t does an exclusive 5 year contract with Apple to sell the iPhone, but I guess Apple has a right to break type of a clause (sp) in the contract.
    12-21-09 06:38 PM
    Well if it's coming in 2010 it would make sense for it to come to Sprint as Sprint is the only carrier with 4g up and running on portions of its network.

As far as Sprint pulling the numbers, AT$T only pulls the numbers it does because of the iPhone, you can bet your bottom dollar that those folks unhappy with their iPhone experience on AT$T will surely jump ship to whatever network gets the 4g iPhone.

All that being said, my gut tells me this is all fantasy and rumor started by either a Verizon fanboi or an attempt by the site to generate traffic and ad sales.
    Why would Apple risk their prime product with a carrier that's showing nearly a 1 million line drop over the past 12 months. If Apple is going to roll with a CDMA phone (which won't be an iPhone in all likelihood, but an Apple phone), it will be on Verizon's network. 89 million lines and growing. Sprint's got about 1/2 that. It's a no brainer.
    12-21-09 06:42 PM
    In reference to the provided link:

I havent read something so off from someone so mis-informed since cpugeek4u's Storm2 release date threads; and just like cpu's hours of endless comedy this is pretty funny too.
    12-21-09 06:51 PM
    AT&T never made the complete contract numbers to keep the iphone past 2009.
    12-21-09 06:54 PM
    Fact: The exact details of the Apple/AT$T contract have never been released. All the dates and timelines you hear are pure speculation, as is the rumored out clause Apple supposedly has in the contract.
    12-21-09 07:14 PM
    Has anyone thought that iPhone "4G" means 4th generation iPhone, not 4G network types? Apple is very much into calling things by the generation of the product (with the exception of the iPhone).

12-21-09 07:17 PM
    Let me ask you something, do you know why these people are no longer with Sprint? Did they leave of their own free will? Where the asked to leave by Sprint for excessive roaming, constantly late bill payments? Or were the customers who haven't paid their bills and were permanently removed from Sprints customer rolls?

You Verizon kids always get you panties in a bunch when you think another carrier is getting something you don't have. Now if you'd only get your panties in a wad over the fact that Verizon is stripping customers of their freedom of choice by locking phone browsers to Bing, or the fact that they are back to locking down GPS features on phones.

Why would Apple risk their prime product with a carrier that's showing nearly a 1 million line drop over the past 12 months. If Apple is going to roll with a CDMA phone (which won't be an iPhone in all likelihood, but an Apple phone), it will be on Verizon's network. 89 million lines and growing. Sprint's got about 1/2 that. It's a no brainer.
    12-21-09 07:17 PM
    That is a very big possibility, now that you mention it, I remember reading somewhere that Apple is testing their next generation iPhone.

Has anyone thought that iPhone "4G" means 4th generation iPhone, not 4G network types? Apple is very much into calling things by the generation of the product (with the exception of the iPhone).

12-21-09 07:27 PM
    Let me ask you something, do you know why these people are no longer with Sprint? Did they leave of their own free will? Where the asked to leave by Sprint for excessive roaming, constantly late bill payments? Or were the customers who haven't paid their bills and were permanently removed from Sprints customer rolls?

You Verizon kids always get you panties in a bunch when you think another carrier is getting something you don't have. Now if you'd only get your panties in a wad over the fact that Verizon is stripping customers of their freedom of choice by locking phone browsers to Bing, or the fact that they are back to locking down GPS features on phones.
    Wow. Nice rant I was only pointing out FACT from Sprint's own financial reports. If I want to google, I can go to google.com. I don't use GPS, so that's a non issue for me.
    12-21-09 07:31 PM
    No, you weren't pointing out fact you were using speculation to bolster your claim as why Apple would or would not bring an iPhone to Sprint. When you make a claim and use the same old Verizon fanboi rant of millions of customers leaving Sprint be prepared to back up your claims.

Fact: No-one knows why the customers are no longer with Sprint. You can guess and speculate all you want, fact is until someone shows me in writing, solid proof that millions people are leaving Sprint of their own free will it's all speculation as to the real reason Sprint is losing customers.

Nice try at deflecting by calling my reply a rant. There was no ranting involved.

Wow. Nice rant I was only pointing out FACT from Sprint's own financial reports. If I want to google, I can go to google.com. I don't use GPS, so that's a non issue for me.
    Last edited by ERDude; 12-21-09 at 07:43 PM.
    12-21-09 07:39 PM
    Eh, the only reason that VZW is number 1 now is because they ate up Alltell. Its not like people are flocking to Verizon, AT&T has as many customers, and they aren't eating up every little company in sight. Be honest. If Sprint got the CDMA Iphone, with the plans and service they offer, do you believe within a year they wouldn't at least be second? Of course they would, within a year.

People don't give a crap about your big red map of perception. They give a crap about cellphones first, and if the Iphone came to Sprint, you'd see a mass exodus from AT&T to Sprint. Within a year, the gap would be closed.
    12-21-09 07:40 PM
    No, you weren't pointing out fact you were using speculation to bolster your claim as why Apple would or would not bring an iPhone to Sprint. When you make a claim and use the same old Verizon fanboi rant of millions of customers leaving Sprint be prepared to back up your claims.
    Fact: No-one knows why the customers are no longer with Sprint. You can guess and speculate all you want, fact is until someone shows me in writing, solid proof that millions people are leaving Sprint of their own free will it's all speculation as to the real reason Sprint is losing customers.
    Nice try at deflecting by calling my reply a rant. There was no ranting involved.
    Read for yourself. http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

Top-iine revenue: Down.
    Net Loss: Up.
    Net Subscriber Loss YoY: Up.
    CapEx: Down.

I've got nothing against Sprint, despite what you appear to believe. In fact, I was a Nextel customer, and migrated my company to Nextel from VZW. Then migrated them back due to poor service, but that was a number of years ago, and I'm sure their service has improved in the intervening years.

Before calling someone a "fanboi" you might take a look in the mirror, sir. Common sense would lead a reasonable person to believe that, given the choice between having access to 90 million lines vs. half that, the decision of which carrier to place a phone with becomes, as I said earlier, a no brainer. If you have any questions about interpreting the financials just let me know.

And as an aside, unfortunately Sprint doesn't provide, at least in their 10-Q, a breakout of why they saw a net sequential quarterly decrease, along with the YoY decrease they've experienced in lines. I don't know if they conduct an exit survey. I know they didn't when I was with Nextel. I wasn't presented with one when I termed my final AT&T line, so I don't know what to tell you on that. Sprint/Nextel does, as a positive, report that around 80% of their post-paid lines are now rated prime, which is big improvement from the past.
    12-21-09 07:52 PM
    Eh, the only reason that VZW is number 1 now is because they ate up Alltell. Its not like people are flocking to Verizon, AT&T has as many customers, and they aren't eating up every little company in sight. Be honest. If Sprint got the CDMA Iphone, with the plans and service they offer, do you believe within a year they wouldn't at least be second? Of course they would, within a year.

People don't give a crap about your big red map of perception. They give a crap about cellphones first, and if the Iphone came to Sprint, you'd see a mass exodus from AT&T to Sprint. Within a year, the gap would be closed.
    That's possible. I just don't see how the risk justifies the potential reward. But that's just my opinion based on the financials I read.

As an aside, consolidation isn't confined to just VZW:
    Originally Cingular Wireless LLC, a joint venture between SBC Communications and BellSouth, the company acquired the old AT&T Wireless in 2004; SBC later acquired the original AT&T and re-branded as "The New AT&T". Cingular became wholly-owned by The New AT&T in December 2006 as a result of AT&T's acquisition of BellSouth.
    That's a mouthful. And Sprint/Nextel is, of course, the result of a Sprint and Nextel merger. The acquiring companies in all three cases: VZW's, AT&T's, and Sprint's, increase their customer base as a result of their mergers.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 12-21-09 at 08:00 PM.
    12-21-09 07:54 PM
    Again you cannot tell me why those customers left, there's no exit interview needed. Believe me Sprint knows the breakdown of customers and why they're no longer with Sprint.

Having access to more customers doesn't necessarily make for better sales. Over half of the current iPhone users went to AT$T for the iPhone. And today more than half of current iPhone users would leave AT$T if the iPhone were to launch on another carrier.

Use Google, oh wait you're with Verizon, use Bing it's your friend.
    12-21-09 08:01 PM
    Again you cannot tell me why those customers left, there's no exit interview needed. Believe me Sprint knows the breakdown of customers and why they're no longer with Sprint.

Having access to more customers doesn't necessarily make for better sales. Over half of the current iPhone users went to AT$T for the iPhone. And today more than half of current iPhone users would leave AT$T if the iPhone were to launch on another carrier.

Use Google, oh wait you're with Verizon, use Bing it's your friend.
    Okay so question, in all seriousness: if, as you claim, Sprint knows why they continue to lose money and customers, don't they then know how to remedy those glaring problems? If so, what are they doing so stem the bleeding? Other than offering dirt cheap plans (which are tempting, I admit.) And I completely agree with you about the iPhone and lack of carrier loyalty. Once we scrapped Nextel and went scurrying back to VZW I stuck with them for many years. But I drank the Kool-Aid (tm) and was 22nd in line the day iPhone #1 went on sale. Then I did the same damn thing a year later! It took me two dissatisfying tries with the iPhone to, again, scurry back to VZW. So yes absolutely: given a choice there is no doubt that AT&T will bleed red when their exclusive is up (no pun intended.)
    12-21-09 08:08 PM
    All these people going nuts for the iphone. Its crazy to me. I had the iphone for 6 months and hated it. I went to BB and haven't looked back sense. I don't care what carrier the iphone is on, as I would never use it. By the way I thought this was a blackberry forum.

12-21-09 08:11 PM
    Bleed red, now that's funny.

Naturally when company loses customers they lose money. I'm not so sure it's affecting their bottom line all that much. They just paid off a load of debt, invested more in Clearwire and recently acquired iPCS, Virgin Mobile.

Being liquid to the tune of $7.5 billion, launching 4G in Seattle, Honolulu, San Antonio, Austin and Maui doesn't sound like a company in trouble to me. If having access to $7.5 billion makes one broke and in trouble I sure want to broke.
    12-21-09 08:19 PM
    I think they might. Seriously, going to anyone else with a 4g phone would be stupid. Some of this is probably just speculation though, not actual phone information. Possible though.
    In the article, they mention "4G". That could be two things ... one being the 4th Generation of the iPhone. No 4G connectivity, just being the 4th incarnation.

OR, and according to the article, it means 4G connectivity, but unfortunately for Sprint, the most likely 4G connection the iPhone will use is LTE, not WiMax, which is Sprint's 4G network.

Either way, it's ALL speculation. This is the most concealed contract in business I've ever heard of.
    12-21-09 10:10 PM
    I believe most of customers that left as the numbers indicate was from the Nextel side. They don't have numbers for each side, they just combine them. Personally I could care less if more people left Sprint my data just keeps getting faster and my wallet fatter.
    12-21-09 10:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD