I have an interesting x-mas gift idea for my parents. I'm 20 years old and slowly becoming more independent, paying more and more bills for myself as i can to easy stress on my parents.

I;m on a family plan at the moment which costs my parents 60$ a month (10 for the extra line, 50 for the blackberry service) And i was thinking, what if i got my own plan, and dropped the line from my parents plan. Would i have to pay any cancellation fees along with this or would it be as simple as walking into an ATT store and saying what I would like to do..
    12-16-09 04:20 AM
    Last time I asked ATT this same question they wanted an ETF to cancel the line. Maybe times are different today as that was several months ago. We are now paying out the contract before changing the line service next summer.

Probably the best way to find out is to go to ATT and ask. Even then in our neighborhood you may get several different answers from different sales people.
    12-16-09 07:16 AM
    Cancel it = ETF
    Transfer of Service = no ETF, $18 TOS fee
    12-16-09 12:57 PM
    lucky kid.
    12-16-09 01:20 PM
    You could do what I'm doing: just paying my parents the money it costs for the line but staying on their account.

We've got unlimited text messages for 5 lines, so I pay $6 for that, $30 for BIS, $10 for the line, and round it up to $50 with taxes/fees and what not. I can't get a good plan with AT&T for $50 a month with all these features plus a decent amount of minutes.

Have you considered this? You would still be paying your bill, but it's a lot cheaper.
    12-16-09 09:54 PM
    lucky kid.
    Lucky? I guess, I like to think i just have my life on track. My parents are putting me through college so its only fair i pay for all of my other crap. Besides, I'm moving out in a few months, have a job I work hard at, and will be 21 in February.

Looks like I'm going to go with paying them the 60$ a month and when the contract is up I'll switch and get a spiffy 9700, which will be 10 months from now. Thanks for the help guys.
    12-17-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD