So I posted on AT&T's page that they should promote BlackBerrys data efficiency. Especially now that they do not offer an unlimited data plan. Didn't expect to be defending the brand of a "losing" smart phone. I'm going to copy the post here so it can be read, but I'm going to close it so nothing more is said there.
    Gregory Ryanposted toAT&T
    AT&T should really promote BlackBerrys data efficiency. Cut my data usage by more than a GB over Android and iOS.
    21 hours ago � Like �
    Tabitha Fetterhoff, Dave Trevorrow and 2 others like this.

Justin Cremeans It is because the blackberry can't do nearly as much
    21 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan You mean like streaming video, music, web browsing? Or how about email, facebook, rss feeds, im?
    21 hours ago � Like � 1 person

Joshua Hammond Blackberry's work a **** of a lot better then these "new great iphones, 4g phones... etc" at least signal wise hands down much better! (in my opinion and in everyone I personally know say the same thing).
    20 hours ago � Like � 2 people

Duane Wills BlackBerry just does it right, with a NOC and data compression. Android's implementations are always hacked together. No wonder you have to layer HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz, or others to make sense of the interface. However, none of that brings the network architecture in line.
    20 hours ago � Like � 1 person

Brad Blackstone I use vanilla android and everything works great.
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills As long as you have a working knowledge of Android, unlimited data, two wall chargers, a car charger, and never go International.
    20 hours ago � Like

Joshua Hammond I agree, I have had a Samsung when I first had at&t over 2 years ago, then went to a Blackberry Bold then that screen went, (i tend to be hard on my phones), so then I had a Motrola backflip, now I got the Blackberry Torch, and It just is the best with signal.
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills To play Devil's advocate, I wouldn't attribute the Backflip's issues to Android, well, not ALL to Android.
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills The Torch is awesome, though.
    20 hours ago � Like � 1 person

Brad Blackstone I only have one wall chager and my battery lasts fine
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Define fine and list the steps you have made from stock. :P
    20 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone ‎14 hours and 30% left
    20 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone The backflip is a bad representation of android. A nexus is only google
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills ‎14 hours isn't acceptable. Mine left the charger at 11 AM yesterday and am at 20% remaining.
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills ‎14 hours won't even go 8 AM to 11 PM.
    20 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Lol I get 9 hours max but that's because I work my iPhone to the bone using It all the time. Literally I would not be surprised if it gives out on me.
    20 hours ago � Like
    06-20-11 08:12 AM
    Ken Scott Kletzin Duane, not everyone will agree with your statements. If everyone thought that way RIM wouldn't be going bankrupt & most people would own BB's which isn't the case at all. I have nothing against any phone or os & I personally have no issues ...
    See More
    20 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone My battery lasted from 7am to 1am
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Justin and Brad must not have true push notifications. :P
    20 hours ago � Like

Ken Scott Kletzin ‎@ Vidal, if the iPhone's battery becomes an issue for you, close apps that are running, turn Bluetooth off if it's always on, minimize brightness settings when not needed & those steps can maximize battery life sometimes.
    20 hours ago � Like

Ken Scott Kletzin Duane, push notifications aren't the most data intensive or use the most battery life either.
    20 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone No my phone is on silent right now. And about the international. My phone was unlocked when I rooted it. So I'm good to go
    20 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen ‎@Ken: that's stuff all no brainer. I do all that and more. As soon as I walk into my apartment, I turn off cell data and turn on wifi. I adjust brightness to fit whatever setting I'm in. I never use bluetooth. I close all apps that I'm not using. I still can't get more than 9 hours out of my phone without using a charger at some point.
    20 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan ‎@Vidal, sounds rough. Didnt realize this exploded. I was beating Legend of Zelda.
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Na, I just being snarky. Push notifications are desirable to me because I crave instant gratification. LOL
    20 hours ago � Like

Ken Scott Kletzin Okay Vidal I just wasn't sure if everyone knows those tips for battery conservation, but if you're using it that heavily then about 9-10 hrs. is about standard unfortunately.
    20 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Man, all that is a lot of work to get a day of charge. I'll turn WiFi off, I guess, but "I got an app for that". *pays Apple $0.25*
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Yea but it becomes second nature. And I would still choose iPhone over any BB. I'm a hardcore user and I treat my iPhone as an entertainment device to the fullest. Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, web surfing, data intensive games (Infinity Blade). You name it, I do it. I use 10Gb a month so I use the **** out of my phone. The App Store alone is why I would never even dream of using BB and their crappy app world.
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen So, Duane, you can keep your BB. I'd rather have a phone that dies because I love using it all the time over having a phone that last all day because it's boring.
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan I use my phone all the time. Id say i use it more than my iphone. Im always reaching for it. That instant gratification thing.
    19 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone I love my inspire. It does everything i want it to do.
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Different strokes.
    19 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone The ONLY thing I wish my phone had was a brighter screen in sunlight. Its horrible
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan But since my data usage pattern is about the same on my blackberry as when i used other platforms I know that BlackBerry manages data better. I dont do Netflix on the go or Id never get anything done, all i have at home is netflix. (watching Stan Lee's Superhumans right now) But pandora is my savior on the way to work.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I think the point Gregory (and later I) was making is that 90% of what anyone does on a smartphone all of the smartphones do. YouTube, full web, streaming music and video is everywhere. (PlayBook got a Facebook app before iPad.) The last 10% is a different discussion. Within that first 90% BlackBerry does it RIGHT. WiFi for app downloads is not a solution. Task killers and extended batteries are not solutions. Killing the back light and flipping features off and on are not solutions. Those are bandaids. A solution is writing your own 3G stack for the chipsets and using industry-leading compression and push infrastructure to do data RIGHT.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills The rest is just wooing developers to a platform, a moot point when Android for BlackBerry drops.
    19 hours ago � Unlike � 1 person
    Gregory Ryan Oh and to back track, I actually loved the backflip in concept. Just bad software...
    19 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone Task killers were only needed on 2.1 and below.
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Yeah but all my android friends still use them. and advise other people to use them.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Me, too. I loved the hardware.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills They should not have EVER been needed. That was years of phones that did.
    19 hours ago � Like

Ken Scott Kletzin Greg, yes some people use them, but many people say task killers are no longer needed. Also with devices that are more powerful like Android & iPhone a weaker battery life is to be expected at least somewhat.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Some people love a project. Like buying a Yugo.
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan I never said they werent needed. Im just saying that if they truly arent needed, people still say they are. They must be trying to fix a problem that doesnt exist then.
    19 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone The xoom at my Costco has one...sad
    19 hours ago � Like

Ken Scott Kletzin That's possible, unless in some cases when Android phones are rooted they may need task killers.
    19 hours ago via Facebook Mobile � Like

Duane Wills Who would have expected a phone whose SOLE claim to fame is applications would need a method of managing them?
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Android for BB is disgusting.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Xoom is 3.0, isn't it?
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan If by disgusting you mean an awesome way for developers to reach a whole new market of users without additional cost, than yes its disgusing
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan ‎*then
    19 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone It is. Lol. If your.rooted on 1.6 then yes. I'm on 2.3.4 with my inspire and it kills apps great.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills And, Android for BB is a damn good idea. It is Android's (and Apple's, to a degree) Achilees' heel.
    19 hours ago � Like

Brad Blackstone Duane. Its 3.1. LOL
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills You shouldn't need a task killer. A good multi-tasking OS would elegantly display what apps are running and offer the user a simple and effective way of closing them.
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Oh no, it's definitely disgusting by dictionary definition. But it'll give BB a boost since their app market on its own is a barren wasteland since no one wants to develop apps for it.
    19 hours ago � Like � 1 person
    Gregory Ryan You mean like QNX/WebOS
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills No. Disgusting is an OS which ONLY distinguishes itself from the pack by third-party developers building apps to fix what's broken out of the box.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills When they count apps, how many Android apps are apps which are built-in to other platforms? When you buy a car, do you have to buy the gas tank? My most sold accessory at work is the Thunderbolt extended battery.
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Wait. Are you mad because third party developers want to develop for iOS and Android or are you mad because they don't want to develop for RIM?
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan It's pretty ingenious. Say by the end of the year PlayBook has moved a million tablets. Not unbelievable in an international release. Developers that have already coded apps can now access a million new customers. And if only 10% percent of those developers put in the time to make native applications for QNX, that will greatly increase the number of developers on the platform
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen ‎@Duane: I will agree with you about Android being busted right out of the box. I just bought my girlfriend the Inspire and the first app we were recommended to download was JuiceDefender.
    19 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan This will be even bigger as RIM moves towards QNX phones.
    19 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I'm good. I've got the apps I use. It's just sad that Google can't set up Android in such a way that you need dirty hacks to make a phone work well. As a programmer, that's disappointing.
    19 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen The only thing I like about Android is the notification system. But since iOS 5 will have it, there's not much else.
    19 hours ago � Like � 1 person

Duane Wills iOS needs a REAL indicator light.
    18 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan But they just got camera flash last year duane, slow down
    18 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills LOL... Don't wanna give them too much last-gen tech too fast.
    18 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills PlayBook needs a camera flash.
    18 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan No playbook needs focus of some kind
    18 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan flash on a tablet isnt nearly as important.
    18 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills True.
    18 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Come on duane! that was a perfect set up!
    18 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills LOL... Sorry, I dropped the ball. Here's a free case!
    18 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Was that better?
    18 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Actually it was.
    18 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills LOL... I'll be here all night or until the iPhone gets native GPS navigation, whichever is sooner.
    18 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen Too bad none of this converts into sales for RIM..just sayin
    18 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret Torch is only 3.6 compatible. FAil. Now you know damn well if the tables were turned the same thing would be said. @Duane.
    18 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret And that is 2008 tech.
    18 hours ago � Like

Vidal Iseghohimen He's in Denial. RIM is becoming obsolete.
    18 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan My 9780 is 7.2
    17 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills It will over time. People want GPS nav. And, buh, my Torch is a year old. Like that other phone that they re-released a year later in white.
    17 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills That still can't run Flash.
    17 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret Nobody will ever see to eye when all three systems are thrown into the ring. Which is just fine and is what makes the world go around.

With that said, sorry there buddy. RIM should have never released the torch, or the decision should never have been made to release the torch with 3.6 out if the gate. 3.6 and 7.2 should have been included.

All trash talk aside. The torch was a big anticipated release, or should I say supposedly in hindsight. 2 days before the release. I went to my local AT&T store and the rep showed me the the spec sheet that every phone has. You know that sheet they hand out to employees. If we agree to disagree. It is a given that the torch should have had 3.6/7.2.

That shows either.

A. They didn't care.

B. Cash flow situation.

OR

C. All of the above.
    17 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret Once I seen the processor spec along with the 3.6.
    which the rep didn't know what I was talking about but that's besides the point. Once I seen those two facts. I felt or had a sense the torch wouldn't hold up and it was going to tank.
    16 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan The torch is really solid. We know it should be 7.2, but with a bump to 14.4, 1.2ghz, 756, it will be a very nice device in the 9810.
    16 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills And, it didn't tank. Only way it would have sold more is if it had gone cross-carrier.
    16 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Yeah, im always reading i would get the torch if it was on verizon, or tmobile, or sprint. Id like to see a 9830 cdma to please the nation.
    16 hours ago � Like
    06-20-11 08:13 AM
    Eric Flecha Has the Blackberry app world hit 10,000 apps yet?
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Does iOS have a thousand fart apps yet?
    9 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I'd assume yes. That's all I ever found in there. And, a knock off of BBM. What did they call it? iMessenger?
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan I will give only one thing to iPhone, and its usually the first thing i ask people, do you want your phone for mobile gaming. If they say yes you cant go wrong with iPhone. Everything else people want in a phone, is better on other platforms. And most of those are best on BlackBerry.
    9 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I'm a grown up, so my phone is a phone, not a toy.
    9 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret So are you saying that with iOS being only on vow and AT&T. That those folks are somehow inferior? I am always reading I wish the torch was on the bottom 3 carriers. More or less that's the way it sounds.

I will show a screen shot. Can blackberry do this? Just saying. We have to step to the fart apps.
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Yes
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan The phone has a few apps, which you can set to the convenience key if you'd like, and the playbook does it natively by pressing the volume buttons at the same time.
    9 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Yes, you can take a screenshot. LOL... But, it always makes more sense to be cross-carrier. There are rural people on VZW, broke-*** people on T-Mo. LOL
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan And a bunch of people on Sprint complaining about why they dont get this device or that one.
    9 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Don't forget doing it from the Desktop.
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan I didnt forget. But man this just keeps growing...
    9 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills It is a rather nice discussion. I can't believe there are people who think BlackBerry can't do screenshots. I'm more of a principled man. Thus, the heart of my distaste for Apple is not their product but their disgusting business practices.
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan People think because BlackBerry's os has been around forever that it is "primitive". I'll just go to sleep and enable bedside mode when I dont want to deal with it.
    9 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I hear that iOS 6 is going to have something called iSleep... J/k
    9 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan I love in the iOS 5 promo video they say they are years ahead. But the main features are just blatant copies of BlackBerry and a worse implementation of Androids notification bar.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills It's true. Just realize the promo video was made in 2005.
    8 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret Well that's not what I meant. Not just screen shots.I am talking what is the most sophisticated app in the BB world for a lack of a better word. I only mention to contrast the fart apps.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Define sophisticated. Although, there is room for novelty apps, for certain. No problem with some sound effects and time wasters. But, I fail to see what app could justify the downsides of the current iOS. Remember, virtually everyone is still on 4.3.x. With no Flash, faulty alarm clocks, ****-poor notifications, no native GPS nav, pseudo-multitasking, and one hardware option, one rather problematic hardware option. What app is worth all that? Oh, and $100 price premium.
    8 hours ago � Like

Aaron Lane I just don't like the pricing in the BB App world.
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan I like BlackBerry Travel a lot. Im able to send any reservation email to it and it will correlate any flights and hotel reservations into the same trip. I can also search hotels without going into another app. Alerts me of delayed flights and the like. Because its integrated into the whole operating system it makes it really easy to use. To add a trip I just press menu on the confirmation email and click add to BlackBerry travel.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Me neither, but when was the last rogue app in there? Never. Isn't that worth $0.99?
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Oh and it automatically adds it to my calendar. I love that whenever I check notifications my next three calendar entries appear without ever opening calendar. A constant reminder of what's coming up.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I do like how Facebook auto-updates my calendar and those notifications go over the Bridge to my PlayBook. I predict that is the next thing Apple copies.
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Yeah, so if I RSVP to an event in facebook, straight to my calendar. It also moves over birthdays
    8 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret Don't make me go plug in my 8820 and show that screen. Besides the recent addition of 3G your points you're making trying to say that BB is a more efficient or better experience then iOS, is no different in comparison. Especially once I say again recently added 3G. Compared to the 8820. Your torch is not much different.
    8 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret My notes calendar etc are linked. I open note pad type away and it is pushed to my email. Samething with calendar. I can type in calendar and have it go to my notes and end up in email, if email is what I choose to be the main hub.
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan BB is more efficient data wise. The RIM servers are best at this. It is also a lot more efficient in number of steps to do many common tasks because of iOS's touch screen/modular interface
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan Steps to make a call on ios. Unlock phone. open phone. select contact. call. BlackBerry. Unlock phone. start dialing (number or name) call. If assigned to speed dial unlock hold key
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan steps to get to search on ios. Unlock phone, swipe left to search screen or double press home button, type. bb unlock phone, start typing
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills ‎3G on BlackBerry arrived in the summer of 2008, within days of iPhone. That being said, RIM wrote their own 3G GSM radio stack, preventing 3G from being the battery hog that it was to other platforms. And, don't confuse relatively new and ...
    See More
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills That went well. I went after the maturity of the platform and doing it right vs waiting for others to do it right and capitalizing on it. You went after intuitive UIs that depend on being well thought out vs being shiny.
    8 hours ago � Like
    Gregory Ryan iOS is just getting customizable keyboard shortcuts in iOS5. I use kb for keyboard, bb for blackberry, pb for playbook, fb for facebook.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills What do they call it? iSureType or iAutoComplete?
    8 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret That is pretty much an oxymoron.
    Compression and efficient, if you get my drift. Take a Flac music file or AIFF or blu-ray fir that matter. And you will see real quick what compression can do. BB used the servers for corporate BIS and have not been able to break free from it on the consumer end.

I'm just guessing here. But if RIM was to put in out a 1.2 GHZ phone. It would be limited to their servers. Which means mire money to invest for a seamless faster experience. The servers for corporate is just fine. But fir the consumer not so much. Going back to 3.6,that's probably another factor to add in along with the ABC and all of the above. Now it's ABCD.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills I'm gonna say iType. When they blatantly copied BlackBerry (first word) Messenger (second word), they put an i in front of second word. iMessenger. Thus, when they copy SureType, they will call it iType. When they copy (in the future, of course) the 7" tablet, they will call it iBook (easy, 'cause they already own the name). When they copy the charging dock, they will call it iDock. When they copy the Bridge, they will call it... Dunno. iCloud?
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Compression is the epitomy of efficiency, like when people had dialup and had web accelerators. It made more use of the same limited bandwidth, which is especially relevant on AT&T. Also, tying social networks and other instant gratification, high bandwidth tasks to the same system takes a task down from 500 mb a month to 100 mb a month AND provides quicker response times. That's a win-win. And, the 1.2 GHZ models are arriving in July and cross-carriers in September. You can operate them with or without the NOC as a proxy either automatically as most do or manually if you want to control it.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Hence why I expect AT&T to push the Bold Touch even harder than the Torch. Because people doing what they do on a Bold Touch vs anything else will use LESS of their network. Capping people pisses them off. Setting them up with phones which happen to use less data doesn't.
    8 hours ago � Like

Duane Wills Why do you think they cramped down on sideloaded Android apps?
    8 hours ago � Like

Brian Foret iOS is the golden rule. Not BB, not android.
    When all the suits in each camp, go to the break room to pop their microwave popcorn. All eyes are on iOS end of story.
    8 hours ago � Like

Aaron Lane Do you all think that the 9800 Leather Pocket will scratch up the screen like on the 8310 case did.
    8 hours ago � Like

Gregory Ryan Aaron, the screen on the 9800 isn't the same material so no. Sand and stuff can cause small scratches. I always used a protector of some sort.
    7 hours ago � Like

Gregory Ryan Never expected a simple statement, to explode like this. It was a great discussion too.
    7 hours ago � Like
    06-20-11 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD