Hi,
    My wife has been having sporadic trackball issues on her Bold. We bought it about a year ago. Well, she stopped into the AT&T store today and found out that in order to get it replaced under the 1 year warranty they'd have to send us a new phone and then she mails her bold in to get the trackball replaced. Well coincidentally, the one year anniv is tomorrow, which is not enough time to get the swap to us and get her phone sent in. We did, however buy the insurance plan when we got the phones. Not sure the exact time that it covers us, but she was told that the deductible for a repair would be 50 bucks.

2 questions: how long does the insurance cover us for? And secondly, would my replacing the trackball assembly myself void my ability to use the insurance in the future?

Thanks!
    Brian
    11-06-09 09:57 PM
    Insurance is not for mechanical failure. It's for loss or damage. Warranty is for mechanical failure, which the trackball issue is. If you begin your warranty claim prior to the 1 year, you should be fine. They have a record of it from the time you report it, and that's when the "occurrence" is.
    11-06-09 10:09 PM
    And at the same time, warranty is free, so you might just get a new Bold. Be sure to back up your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 12:50 AM
    We'd hate to lose the one she has. It works flawlessly, with the exception of the trackball. I'd like to keep this one for her. Will replacing the trackball myself mess up our ability to use the insurance in the future?

Thanks!
    Brian
    11-07-09 11:41 AM
    Not insurance, but the Warranty. ****, you passed up on one year so might as well replace it. Trackballs are worth $10 on ebay, or better, getting the G1 Trackball from Cellular Nationwide Network - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry, is better. There are videos to show you how to replace the trackball. You need a T5 Screwdriver, and gentle hands
    11-07-09 12:27 PM
    Insurance covers Lost/Stolen, Phsyical or water damage, or phones out of warranty. So technically it is covered under insurance. Your covered as long as you have the insurance feature on the line unless you have 2 replacements in one year already. Once your 2nd replacement is notated it is removed from the account via Asurion, which is the insurance company AT&T uses.

If your warranty just expired try calling anyway and see if they can honor it. I'm' a current at&t csr rep for special accounts and depending on the warranty rep their willing to help.

If you try replacing it yourself it doesn't mean your not eligible for your insurance anymore b/c if you damage it or can't get it working it'll be considered physical damage
    11-08-09 12:40 AM
    Insurance covers Lost/Stolen, Phsyical or water damage, or phones out of warranty. So technically it is covered under insurance.
    Thanks for clearing this up. I was wondering about that myself.
    11-13-09 11:14 AM

If your warranty just expired try calling anyway and see if they can honor it. I'm' a current at&t csr rep for special accounts and depending on the warranty rep their willing to help.
    Warranty will only extend IF you called in with that issue durring the month prior to your warranty running out and ONLY then would you possibly get an exception.
    11-17-09 11:17 AM
    i replaced my trackball and it doesn't really click anymore. along with screen scratches and other imperfections i decided to call for a $125 replacement through insurance. can i ship my phone back with the replacement trackball? or does everything have to be stock?
    11-17-09 06:24 PM
    Well, I know I like asurion... I got a brand new curve 8330 in box with them.
    11-23-09 11:35 AM
    4.99 a month is too much considering blackberries are free at amazon.
    11-23-09 01:00 PM
    only with new service (or new contract). You would need to pay the ETF or pay for two accounts.
    11-23-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD