I can't seem to get a definitive answer on this. I want to IM (AIM & MSN) to US as well as Internationally. I've heard friends say it uses data and I talked to the AT&T reps both in store and online (which is neat btw) and they say it's text message. I can't help but be skeptical thinking they want me to pay for text messages when I don't need it.

There's unlimited text messaging plans with 0.25/message internationally, as well as an international plan, 100 messages for $9.99.

Been thinking about getting the Curve for a while now and with my new job starting it's getting to that time...
    03-20-08 09:35 PM
    It all depends on which program you are using. Which one are you using?
    03-20-08 09:47 PM
    I don't have one yet... But you're saying I can use an IM program that runs off of data? That's what I would prefer.
    03-21-08 12:56 AM
    The built-in IM programs that are already on the phone use texts. The standalone apps use data only, but there is no AIM or MSN client that you can download for ATT phones yet. You are going to want to scream after you hear Jivetalk over and over. It is a great IM program though and it only uses data.
    03-21-08 01:01 AM
    If you use AT&T's media browser, you can download a program called OZ Instant Messaging, and it has AOL, Yahoo, and MSN all in one. I don't think you can run them all at once, though. I'm not positive what it runs off of but I'm PRETTY sure it's data. I have the Blackberry Personal Bundle, so either way doesn't bother me much, but I haven't had too many problems with that application.
    03-21-08 11:36 AM
    Jivatalk runs off the internet. and is the best IM client out there for BB. It cost 20 bucks but well worth it
    03-21-08 11:41 AM
    and you can run aol,yahoo,myspace,msn all at the same time with Jivetalk
    03-21-08 11:42 AM
    or you could get Webmessenger, it is free
    03-21-08 12:25 PM
    Thanks guys.
    03-23-08 12:22 AM
    get urself a WiFi phone and use Jivetalk......for free.

Well not free Jivetalk is $20, but free for 30 days
    03-23-08 08:48 PM
    If you choose JiveTalk, pay the extra $10 and get the license that you can transfer to other Blackberries. If you lose/upgrade to a new BB, the $20 license is gone. Also google "JiveTalk coupon code" and you should yield a working discount code to take off $5, leaving it at $24.99.
    03-23-08 10:29 PM
    i found out today from an att rep that my curve does not need a data plan to use mms and IM. i was told before that all blackberry's have their mms and Im's go through the internet so I needed the data plan for them to work but like i said i was told today that i dont need to have the data plan. I was told this by a rep who said his wife has an 8310 curve like i do and she has the unlimited msg pack but no data plan and she never gets charged data usage for IM and MMS.
    03-24-08 01:37 PM
    Yngblood, what IM application does your wife uses?
    03-24-08 09:11 PM
    I was told this by a rep who said his wife.

Reps wife,....
    03-24-08 09:52 PM
    B4 I goit my curve, My and my fiance' and Razr's. We had txt plans on them. When we got our curves, the rep asked if we're ok with our txt plans, or if we wanted to upgrade. I told we were fine.

After a few hrs, I noticed we could txt each other. I called AT&T, and was told that BB have their own txt plans, that it ws going to cost us $10 more per month. I was P'd/O. Why didn't the rep tell me this b4?

so $10 more per phone for only 200 txt a month, when we had 1500 & 200 txt per phone b4.

Then I asked if there is anymore plasns with more txt. She told me the only other plan is unliminted txt/data at $50 per phone!!

I can honestly say if they told me this when I bought it, I prob wouldnt have got my curve!
    03-24-08 09:58 PM
    DUDE. i have the best program for you, and its FREE, FREE, FREE, its called WEBMESSENGER 2.6 I downloaded it from Pinstack.com( did i mention its free) it has AIM, Yahoo, and MSN, and yes all can run @ the same time...Enjoy, and ur welcome...
    03-24-08 09:59 PM
    Or better yet, BB Messenger! It's already installed!
    03-24-08 10:08 PM
    we have the unlimited text plan on 5 phones for $24.99 total, its a family plan and i have the only bb, all the rest are flip phones.
    03-25-08 12:24 PM
    DUDE. i have the best program for you, and its FREE, FREE, FREE, its called WEBMESSENGER 2.6 I downloaded it from Pinstack.com( did i mention its free) it has AIM, Yahoo, and MSN, and yes all can run @ the same time...Enjoy, and ur welcome...

DUDE, but does it run STRICTLY over WiFi.........? JiveTalk does...which makes it completely free (no data plan, no text plan) after you pay the one-time fee.
    03-25-08 01:12 PM
    B4 I goit my curve, My and my fiance' and Razr's. We had txt plans on them. When we got our curves, the rep asked if we're ok with our txt plans, or if we wanted to upgrade. I told we were fine.

After a few hrs, I noticed we could txt each other. I called AT&T, and was told that BB have their own txt plans, that it ws going to cost us $10 more per month. I was P'd/O. Why didn't the rep tell me this b4?

so $10 more per phone for only 200 txt a month, when we had 1500 & 200 txt per phone b4.

Then I asked if there is anymore plasns with more txt. She told me the only other plan is unliminted txt/data at $50 per phone!!

I can honestly say if they told me this when I bought it, I prob wouldnt have got my curve!
    This is all so wrong its not even funny, I have a BB and just a $5/month 200 txt plan......BB's do NOT need a special text plan...
    03-25-08 01:18 PM
    I think the biggest thing that turns me off to Webmessenger is that their web site is horrible. Their web site is confusing by diving up its product to different tiers. And to add to it, there really is nothing that sells the product. Not even one decent screen shot.

The site for JiveTalk is the complete opposite. You know exactly what you are getting.
    03-25-08 01:24 PM
    I think the biggest thing that turns me off to Webmessenger is that their web site is horrible. Their web site is confusing by diving up its product to different tiers. And to add to it, there really is nothing that sells the product. Not even one decent screen shot.

The site for JiveTalk is the complete opposite. You know exactly what you are getting.
    But how is the Webmessenger app itself? For being free (and uses data), I'll probably try it first and if it does what I want, I'll just stick with it.
    03-25-08 03:52 PM
    Dunno. Web site didn't paint a clear enough picture of the app for me so I'm not even bothering with it. I'm happy with JiveTalk.
    03-25-08 03:59 PM

if you all only text each other then you should use the blackberry messenger service. it is free to any blackberry user, the only catch is it only works with other bbs.
    03-25-08 04:12 PM
    we do....but everyone else we know have dont have bb's
    03-25-08 06:23 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD