I finally "nutted up" and installed a 5.0.0.419 OS on my new Tour - I chose the just released Alltel version.

My question is - When (if!) Sprint finally gets around to releasing THEIR version, do I need to install it?

So far, knock on wood, everything seems fine - just like the 5.0 that was on the Curve 8530 that I returned and exchanged for my Tour. Will the Sprint version be different?

I'm very new to doing anything like this to my phone so I don't know what the differences would be. I've read that the various .419's out there are pretty much all the same, just have different Vendor files.
    02-06-10 02:30 PM
    If Sprint releases .419 then there's no need to reinstall it.

I HOPE they instead release something newer, maybe a .43X or higher build.
    02-06-10 03:52 PM
    does the sprint nav work wit it?
    02-06-10 07:48 PM
    It seems to, at least after a little impromptu test. I will test it more thoroughly tomorrow. I didn't try Sprint TV though because I never use that anyway. Knock on wood - everything I've tried works. Quick Pull doesn't, but that's a Quick Pull issue with OS 5 in general.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 09:16 PM
    they make a quick pull specifically for the 5.0 os, have you tried that?
    02-06-10 10:07 PM
    Oh sweet! Is it fairly new? When I got the Curve 8530 I looked and couldn't find a Quick Pull for 5.0

I'll go find it. Thanks.
    02-07-10 09:01 AM
    Did u run the leaked .419 prior... Do u see a diff?

Some say the radio is bttr in the official;...
    thanks
    02-07-10 11:17 AM
    The only negative that I can see is the battery life is definitely worse. Its not horrible, but I can definitely tell a difference. Don't think its enough to make me go back, but I'll see how it goes this week and make my decision later this week.

I had a Hero before and its not nearly as bad as that!

Sprint Nav definitely works as does the gps stuff in the LifeInPocket app.

This is the only 5.0 I've tried btw.

02-07-10 06:18 PM
    Sprint Nav works. Quick Pull works. My battery improved, but I'm running a hybrid .419. And if Sprint releases .419, then you shouldn't have to reinstall.
    02-08-10 09:39 AM
    im running the mts version and the only thing that i have noticed is that when you are in the sms screen there happens to be some blurring at the top of the screen and i have a little bit of lag when it comes back from sleep/hibernate mode other than that its golden.
    02-09-10 07:24 AM
    The only negative that I can see is the battery life is definitely worse. Its not horrible, but I can definitely tell a difference. Don't think its enough to make me go back, but I'll see how it goes this week and make my decision later this week.

I had a Hero before and its not nearly as bad as that!

Sprint Nav definitely works as does the gps stuff in the LifeInPocket app.

This is the only 5.0 I've tried btw.

My phone couldn't last through the day when I ran .419 by itself. I installed a couple of hybrids over it: the first hybrid had no effect on battery life, but the 2nd one improved the battery life so much, I was shocked.

You may want to try a few hybrids to see which one works best for you.
    02-09-10 09:41 AM
    My phone couldn't last through the day when I ran .419 by itself. I installed a couple of hybrids over it: the first hybrid had no effect on battery life, but the 2nd one improved the battery life so much, I was shocked.

Man, I was a nervous wreck doing the .419 - I have NO idea how to install a hybrid...or really even what a hybrid is!!

I did a couple of battery pulls and don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the battery life seems better.
    02-09-10 09:45 AM

Which hybrid did you end up with? I noticed my battery life improved after a couple days of running the hybrid.
    02-09-10 03:27 PM

I'm curious which hybrid you ended up with as well. Would love to get my battery life back up so I can keep a Twitter app and maybe a few others open during the day. Have resorted to closing them or setting them to not auto-update to keep the battery life reasonable.
    02-09-10 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD