Uh. I used to get 3G and 4G. Now I only get 1X and 4G. How is this so unknown to people and why is my MSL incorrect for 3 different phones?

Q10
    08-15-14 07:58 AM
    Sorry to say I don't think it has anything to do with the OS. Sprint just upgraded there network in my area and now I am getting 3 and 4 G on my Q10. Before the upgrade it was 1X and 2G. Still having problems with roaming and not getting data on my phone. I would blame it on the chity network. I was told years ago, you can eat an elephant in one setting. But one gets tired of chewing after awhile. Sprint needs to get there chit together!
    I just want to point out that 1X and 2G are the same thing if you are CDMA.
    3G is technically EVDO and 4G is LTE.
    I am getting 1X and 4G. Just not 3G. The problem is that I used to keep my phone at 3G and 2G only, but now I only get 3G. My battery life is worse because my phone is always looking for signal and I drop calls like no other.

I don't know how much I get per dropped call, but I think I should be able to buy out sprint by next month at this rate.

Q10
    08-15-14 08:02 AM
    Are there any known solutions to this? The dropped calls and missing texts are getting really old.
    09-03-14 01:28 PM
    Well I, like sprint, haven't done anything about it lately. I still believe it to be a radio issue with the Sprint q10 because I don't hear about anyone else on sprint with this issue for one and the phone acts up no matter where I am. I picked up a Verizon z30 and am holding onto the Q until this gets fixed or sprint releases another blackberry. I thought that maybe the update they released a month back was to restore 3g but it only fixed problems I wasn't even experiencing. I think I'm going to try and keep getting replacements until they give me a brand new one. I'm curious how many people are going through this. Like I said I wasn't having any problems until I got a replacement for a blown speaker months back.
    09-03-14 05:52 PM
    Are there any known solutions to this? The dropped calls and missing texts are getting really old.
    I got a hold of a lady at sprint and she got all my phone and texting to work it only took 15 or 20 calls but come to find out the phone and texting problems were on setting in there system. Now the data is another issue they will not guarantee data while on another network. I had this problem with my 9930 and Q10.
    How I found out there was a setting problem was when someone tried to call me and the message to them was the phone your tried to call on the Cricket network can't be located. After a customer told me that, I was like WTF I'm a Sprint customer. My guess the need to flip some switches or something.
    09-03-14 07:10 PM
    Thank you for the reply but that sounds like a different issue. Did your phone say you were roaming when you got that message? As far as it being a problem on their end I wouldn't doubt that either. I have an older plan myself and I always have to call just to do basic stuff like swapping devics.
    09-03-14 07:56 PM
    Thank you for the reply but that sounds like a different issue. Did your phone say you were roaming when you got that message? As far as it being a problem on their end I wouldn't doubt that either. I have an older plan myself and I always have to call just to do basic stuff like swapping devics.
    Well the Sprint network sucks. I make calls all the time and the voice on the other end tells me, you must dial the area code while on the verizon network. But you should still receive voice and texting when roaming. Sometimes I do have problems receiving calls and text when I get on ATT network or Cincinnati Bell.
    09-03-14 08:42 PM
    I don't disagree but here in the Midwest sprint (was) very good, I don't know what is going on.
    09-03-14 09:10 PM
    I wasn't having any problems until I got a replacement for a blown speaker months back.
    I have a theory that only recently activated Sprint Q10's are having this issue. I've gotten 4 replacements now after my screen decided it wanted to be free. (it just decided I HATE YOU BODY and tried jumping off lol.) I'm gonna call again today (1 day after receiving the phone)
    09-03-14 09:21 PM
    There HAS to be some network genius at sprint that can tell me what's going on. Maybe level 10 tech support? I tried asking if there's any advanced information I could provide from within the engineering screen to address this but they seem to not know what to do with this information.
    09-04-14 01:22 AM
    Most sprint tech doesn't know what the engineering screen is. Lol. I called yesterday for 2 hours. I got it reported to BlackBerry as well. It will be a while.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 07:31 AM
    Good idea, I'm sure blackberry would be able to help us out. I'm sure they're tired of sprint waranteeing units for something sprint F'ed up. Between the 2 of us it seem sprint may have defected more q10s than they sold
    09-04-14 09:40 AM
    I just got off the phone with Sprint Business Tech Support. They say it's a BlackBerry issue because 3G is provisioned at the network level but the phone won't connect. They offered to send me to BlackBerry Tech support for a fee!?!? Let me get this straight, I have a problem with my BlackBerry working correctly on a Sprint network and I have to pay someone to figure out why I'm not getting the service I paid for? You have got to be kidding me.......
    09-04-14 02:38 PM
    It's mind bottling how lousy sprint tech support is
    09-04-14 03:40 PM
    Pungster, did you change your radio settings in the engineering screen to cdma only like Deathbycommand?
    09-04-14 11:57 PM
    While I don't know THAT much about the nuts and bolts of a wireless network I know that it's the carries responsibility when they program a device that it needs to talk to their infrastructure. BlackBerry has nothing at all to do with this process, they simply just provide a phone that functions on a broad range of frequencies.

Now If I'm not mistaken I have a feeling that when on 1x it's because the 1900mhz pcs band where sprints 3g resides may not be be working at all with my device. therefore my phone is actually falling back on the old 800mhz analog sprint network.

This explains a lot:

-Never seen a 3G signal, just 1X and 4g
    -Voice calls sound like crap
    -I seem to get more bars than I remember compared to when 3g was working (800mhz has a stronger signal)

Now all I need to know is what could cause such a thing?

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 12:18 AM
    While I don't know THAT much about the nuts and bolts of a wireless network I know that it's the carries responsibility when they program a device that it needs to talk to their infrastructure. BlackBerry has nothing at all to do with this process, they simply just provide a phone that functions on a broad range of frequencies.

Now If I'm not mistaken I have a feeling that when on 1x it's because the 1900mhz pcs band where sprints 3g resides may not be be working at all with my device. therefore my phone is actually falling back on the old 800mhz analog sprint network.

This explains a lot:

-Never seen a 3G signal, just 1X and 4g
    -Voice calls sound like crap
    -I seem to get more bars than I remember compared to when 3g was working (800mhz has a stronger signal)

Now all I need to know is what could cause such a thing?

Posted via CB10
    Firmware?

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    09-05-14 12:57 AM
    Pungster, did you change your radio settings in the engineering screen to cdma only like Deathbycommand?
    No I haven't done anything with the engineering screen. I'll try it.
    09-05-14 05:51 AM
    No I haven't done anything with the engineering screen. I'll try it.
    Please be careful. It is very possible to ruin your device with these settings.
    If you do it, General Radio, Enabled RAT(i think) then go select EVDO(thats 3G) CDMA is 1X.
    You should get a red X if you don't get 3G.

So here is the theory.

Either 1. Sprint got the wrong MSL numbers for phones after a point in time. Probably about 4-5 months ago, so the MEID and IMEI numbers aren't matching the activation codes.
    or 2. BlackBerry gave Sprint the wrong MSL codes for the attached MEID and IMEI numbers.

If anything, I want a Sprint-Blackberry Representative to activate a Q10 and get 3G to work. This is completely ridiculous.

I seriously want to know if there is anything legally I can do about Sprint denying me a third of my network.

[Edit]: Simple Analogy.

Samsung Galaxy S5 has a few keys. The first key opens the locker made specifically for itself. This enables 2G, or 1X.
    In the locker, there are 2 boxes. The 1 box has 4G and the other has 3G.
    GS5 got its 4G key from its SIM card.
    GS5 got its 3G key from its MSL (which was issued according to the IEMI by some formula)

Mr Q10 joins the company but by some horrible mistake, each MSL key was issued to the wrong Q10.
    Q10 number 1 got Q10 Number 2's key. Q10 2 got Q10 3's key.

So Mr Q10 goes to his locker. He shows his IMEI number and his locker opens.
    Pleased he accepts his 1X signal.
    He then opens his 4G box and is please with the ultra fast LTE SPEEDS OF THE GODS.
    Then he tries to open the 3G box. but he has Q10 number 2's key! He tries to open the box and can't figure out why it doesn't work.
    So he goes to the IT department. He says his key doesn't work. And they say "it works. stop being dumb"

Then Mr. Q10 can't do his job and gets fired. All because the IT department was not smart.

The end.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 09-05-14 at 08:30 AM.
    09-05-14 08:11 AM
    Exactly, the fact that the msl is incorrect should be a red flag in itself. I just need to talk to someone who actually understands how activations work. In a formula, you can't expect it to be solved you don't start with the right numbers. I've tried older/newer radio files with no luck. Like you said though it may be that the numbers simply don't match up.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 09:27 AM
    I called Sprint again. Appearantly they can't directly let Sprint know there's a problem.

What the heck.

I honestly wish I could sue this freaking company for causing me so much stress.
    09-05-14 10:54 AM
    Please be careful. It is very possible to ruin your device with these settings.
    If you do it, General Radio, Enabled RAT(i think) then go select EVDO(thats 3G) CDMA is 1X.
    You should get a red X if you don't get 3G.

So here is the theory.

Either 1. Sprint got the wrong MSL numbers for phones after a point in time. Probably about 4-5 months ago, so the MEID and IMEI numbers aren't matching the activation codes.
    or 2. BlackBerry gave Sprint the wrong MSL codes for the attached MEID and IMEI numbers.

If anything, I want a Sprint-Blackberry Representative to activate a Q10 and get 3G to work. This is completely ridiculous.

I seriously want to know if there is anything legally I can do about Sprint denying me a third of my network.

[Edit]: Simple Analogy.

Samsung Galaxy S5 has a few keys. The first key opens the locker made specifically for itself. This enables 2G, or 1X.
    In the locker, there are 2 boxes. The 1 box has 4G and the other has 3G.
    GS5 got its 4G key from its SIM card.
    GS5 got its 3G key from its MSL (which was issued according to the IEMI by some formula)

Mr Q10 joins the company but by some horrible mistake, each MSL key was issued to the wrong Q10.
    Q10 number 1 got Q10 Number 2's key. Q10 2 got Q10 3's key.

So Mr Q10 goes to his locker. He shows his IMEI number and his locker opens.
    Pleased he accepts his 1X signal.
    He then opens his 4G box and is please with the ultra fast LTE SPEEDS OF THE GODS.
    Then he tries to open the 3G box. but he has Q10 number 2's key! He tries to open the box and can't figure out why it doesn't work.
    So he goes to the IT department. He says his key doesn't work. And they say "it works. stop being dumb"

Then Mr. Q10 can't do his job and gets fired. All because the IT department was not smart.

The end.
    Interestingly, I had received a replacement/refurb unit in May since my original handset had double typing (such that a very slight brush accross the e key would activate a keystroke). I was receiving calls and some data, but no 4G. When I called to ge it fixed they said that my IMEI number of the device didn't match the number they had in the network. So they changed this and I was then able to get consistent 4g speeds, but I still had the 3G issue.

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago, I broke my screen so I reactivated my 9930 while I waited for a new screen. The 9930 worked great on 3G and I had data in all the places that my Q10 didn't. I fixed the screen and called Sprint to reactivate my Q10 and they couldn't get it to register with the network so they tried to manually activate it using the MSL code. They couldn't get the code to work and said I had a defective unit. They suggested I do a wipe of the phone and reload the software. I didn't want to dink around with it since it was already late at night. I decided to let it sit and low and behold when I went to use it in the morning, it was activated and working, but still no 3G in areas the 9930 had no issues with.

I'll sit tight on the engineering screen changes for now as I really don't have the time to mess around with it.
    Last edited by pungster; 09-05-14 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Davantazh likes this.
    09-05-14 10:55 AM
    When dealing with Sprint at least a couple of times about this issue, I went into the Self Service app, tapped Settings, and got the popup box to enter an MSL. They gave me 3 MSL numbers to try and none worked. You have to be careful because the Self Service app only gives you 5 tried before it locks your phone.

I was told twice that I would need a replacement because of this. On another occasion, I was told that manually using settings was disabled on the phone, so no MSL would work. I don't buy that.

I have no idea if it worked on my original phone which I replaced due to a keyboard issue. But all the replacements I've been through were refurbished and, therefore being activated on a second account. I'm wondering if there's something they're missing in swapping out one phone for another on the same line.

When a Q10 is activated, you enter the IMEI which, I think, is only responsible for 1X and 3G. Then, the ICCID is entered also which is the unique ID of the SIM card. In Sprint 4G phones, I think the phone number and other account data is managed by the SIM and not the phone. I'm guessing that the disconnect is between some link between the SIM and the internal CDMA radio. The 1X is active by default since this is probably what's used to allow you to make emergency calls even if your phone is not activated. Maybe the activation process activates the 4G on the SIM card thus 4G is available and the phone number is associated with the SIM. But the activation process never unlocks 3G functionality (the 3G locker key described above).

As a side note, this might be why my GPS drops all of the time too.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    09-05-14 11:23 AM
    That is correct. The imei or esn (same thing) is responsible for the cdma radio which is call text and 2g/3g data. The sim is only for 4g and completely independent since it is used for 4g data only. When these bone heads switched my phone out in the store I had to call cs when I got home (two separate occasions) to get my 4g working. I get 4g at my house no problems which makes this very hard to diagnose. I need to either travel out of a 4g area or set the phone to cdma only in the e screen. The only reason I keep paying these morons is because I want to keep my 30/month unlimited plan.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 11:48 AM
    I have no idea if my MSL is correct or not, but i only get 4G or 1X, if 3G pops up on my phone, i know i am about to lose the data signal. hell parts of Norfolk, i lose data, even on 4G. their network sucks, even with all the "improvements" they have sorta done. things were great till about 2 months ago, now even at home i have to keep wifi running just to keep data. spint has told me they are having "tower issues"..well yeah, no kidding.
    09-05-14 01:50 PM
122 1234 ...