I am no due for an upgrade till next Spring and I don't want to pay the full price nor am I sure that I really want one of these phones. For a reasonable discount, I'm willing to give them a try and potentially resell myself.

The main question is if I can just purchase a Verizon Q10 or Z10 from Craigslist or other private transaction and use it without much fuss? I gather I would need a sim card for it, so will Verizon just provide one without issue. I know I've read about folks physically cutting down their existing sim card but I don't want to go that far as I might want to move back and forth between my Verizon 9930 until I get use to the new OS or I might not like the new OS or the actual device at all and wish to fully revert back to the 9930.

I've read mixed opinions (facts???) on whether one can retain their UNlimited data plan moving to these new BB's. Anyone know for sure? Are there any real Verizon employees frequenting these forums?

I have never purchased a Verizon branded phone privately. Anything I would want to check in advance to make sure that the device is legitimate and not stolen or otherwise deactivated? I would plan to meet in a public place for any exchange. Would Verizon accommodate an exchange or check in one of their stores? The cynic or realist really does want to know why someone is selling a brand new-in-box phone even if not greatly discounted?

Thanks in advance.
    07-13-13 08:55 AM
    you will need to get a LTE sim from them but as long as its VZW branded it will be able to be activated on the network without issue.

You would make sure that it boots up with VZW logo i think and make shows a connection in the top right corner to the network.

As for the unlimted plan, i think since you are switching to an LTE plan you will lose it but you might be able to sweet talk your way into keeping the unlimited data.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-13 09:01 AM
    You will be able to keep your unlimited, you only lose it if you upgrade your phone (you are just activating a different phone). I would also have vzw check the esn to make sure it is clean. If you go into a store they will do this for you. I have done several and never had an issue.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-13-13 10:00 AM
    Thanks to both of you. I don't actually trust the offers of $350 but you never know!

Ah, ha, just caught the wazzugrad - other side of the state!
    07-13-13 11:44 AM
    You will be able to keep your unlimited, you only lose it if you upgrade your phone (you are just activating a different phone). I would also have vzw check the esn to make sure it is clean. If you go into a store they will do this for you. I have done several and never had an issue.
    This.

You are able to keep the unlimited data plan since you haven't renewed your contract. I know first hand, as I did what you are planning on doing.

Definitely call VZW or meet the seller at a store to verify a clean ESN before there is a monetary exchange.

You're going to love BB10!

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    07-13-13 11:46 AM
    I recently purchased a Z10 from Ebay. You want to make sure that the ESN is clean by calling Verizon or visiting a store. It's best to meet the seller at your local store to setup your new phone before exchanging money. You'll need to go to the store anyways for a new 4G LTE sim card. The sales rep checked my account and the phone before inserting my new sim card at no charge. I kept my unlimited data plan and made no changes to my account. I still have my 9300 (unactivated) in case I don't like the Z10. So far, I really like it. Oh, you can move your SD card from the 9300 to get Z10 without a problem. Also, I left the store with my contacts transferred to my Z10. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 08:15 PM
    Thank, all.
    07-14-13 12:49 AM
    And if you're lucky, F2, you might even leave the store with two sets of your contacts transferred

I'm KIDDING! I love my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:19 AM
    And if you're lucky, F2, you might even leave the store with two sets of your contacts transferred

I'm KIDDING! I love my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    No, you're not - I've read about the double-contact issues. But as least I would not face Facebook issues - I'm not a member!

I'm still mulling and probably missed the good price someone was offering but I'm not rushing this.
    07-14-13 12:58 PM
    With all the issues, most small bothers not deal breakers, my Z10 has served me well. I bet you'll like it, or the Q10. I'm expecting the BBOS maturity to rejoin BB10 quickly enough that long time users can survive the wait and new users will think BlackBerry is adding cool new things to the OS.

Also, as the OS adds capabilities and opens up more to the devs, we'll see some customization and tweaks available (good old stuff like Advanced OS & LED, Six Tools, Fixmo Tools, others)

There are definitely things I miss about my 9900, but not enough to sell you my Z10 even at a small loss.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-14-13 02:56 PM
    Since it's been mentioned so many times, I'll make sure it's stressed once more: Make sure the ESN is clear. ;-)

It's a CDMA thing. I am new to Verizon since April, but had 13 years with Sprint.
    07-15-13 04:29 PM
    One more thing to keep in mind: The SIM card for the Z/Q10 will not work in your 9930. It's for LTE use only, the one in your 9930 is strictly for GSM use outside of Verizon's network. If you want to switch back and forth you need to do it the old fashion way.

But all above is correct. You can keep the unlimited data plan, and your upgrade date won't change. Also, I would be sure you meet the seller at a Verizon store, you can't lose that way, and you can then get your SIM card. If they try and charge you for the SIM, buy it, then call Verizon when you leave and then can refund your account. (I paid full retail for mine, came with no SIM, then the store wanted to charge me 10 bucks)
    07-15-13 08:56 PM
    Back on the west side now, but sure do miss the Palouse

Ah, ha, just caught the wazzugrad - other side of the state!
    07-18-13 07:38 PM