does that mean that the quickfire is unlocked for use with any SIM card, even non-AT&T SIM cards?

Both phones are on different accounts.

Reason why I am asking is because I'll like to be able to use the quickfire overseas and get a local carrier (non-AT&T) SIM card on it and pay local rates.
    06-22-09 12:28 PM
    SIM cards are designed to be interchangable from device to device within a network so your SIM card should work in ANY ATT phone.
    If you want to use your quickfire overseas just go into any att retail store and they should be able to get on the phone with tech support and unlock it. Keep in mind unlocking your phone WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY! (Even if it is done by a representative of the company!)
    06-22-09 12:56 PM
    How does unlocking your phone void the warranty when I had att last year they unlocke my blackberry and they replaced it after I had some issues with under my warranty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 04:19 PM
    Unlocking your phone doesn't void the warranty...
    06-22-09 04:59 PM
    Boy, there is a bunch of misinformation in this thread...

#1. Your AT&T sim card, as mentioned, works in ANY AT&T phone. Just make sure that whatever phone you use, you have the adequate features available for use (i.e. Let's say you switch from an LG Shine with no internet access to a BlackBerry Bold and you want email but you don't have the data plan - make sure you have what you need so you don't crap yourself when you get your bill next month).
    #2. If you unlock a phone, you void the warranty WITH THE CARRIER, not the manufacturer. What you are doing when you unlock a phone is removing the block from a specific carrier so that you may use it with another one (obviously why unlocking is so popular now). The carrier frowns upon this, because they do not want to fix a bunch of jacked up phones that they didn't pay wholesale market value for in the first place. While the controversy continues regarding unlocking phones to be used universally (and, if my details are right, there was a news article not too long ago stoking the possibility of a bill coming up in the government to remove carrier locks on phones because they are so popular now.

Long story short: Yes, you can put your chip into the Quickfire. Yes, you void the warranty on a phone, but only through the carrier, not the manufacturer.
    06-23-09 12:58 PM
    Even in the case of unlocking and carrier warranty, I think the odds they would refuse to service the device unless you openly state you unlocked it for no reason is slim.

People return the phones with beta OS's and most of the time nobody bothers to really look. I have a feeling the amount of times they discover a device is unlocked on their own and turn down the warranty is low...
    06-23-09 01:55 PM
    If you currently have At&t as your service provider. then all you would have to do is call At&t Customer Service and tell them that you are going overseas and that you would need your phone unlocked so you would be able to use it.

first they will make sure that you would not go and try to bail out of the contract by checking you current and previous account status with at&t.
    then they will ask for an email address and email you the subsidy unlock code and instructions on how to unlock your phone. usually takes around 3-7 business days. but for some as early as the next day.

i always tell my customers to call 30 days before they leave.
    Goodluck and have fun overseas
    06-23-09 02:37 PM
    what's the point of having a carrier warranty? if the phone is defective, won't it just be sent to RIM anyways?

BTW, what is the deductible for a BB 8900 on ATT Insurance, and if the phone is lost or stolen, is the PIN then blacklisted?
    06-24-09 12:05 AM
    I was told the deductible is $50 for the 8900, stephen1180.

06-24-09 01:52 AM
    No not unlocked just using you service with a different phone.
    06-24-09 04:09 AM
    I was told the deductible is $50 for the 8900, stephen1180.

thanks I would've sworn it fell under Tier 2.
    06-24-09 04:18 PM
    The only thing if you unlock your phone and it "voids" the carrier warrenty..the only thing thats gonna do is they are not gonna be able to offer any kind of troubleshooting for your phone, so say your phone gets grabed by a 3 year old and all the browser or MMS settings gets messed up, most of the tech reps are gonna tell ya tough luck since its unlocked and att does not support unlocked devices, some will help but most wont...also say you have an outage in your area and you call in and they have to submit a network case and when they put down its an unlocked device the networkops will not file the case they send it back to us saying if on an unlocked device cannot support it...plus a few other things so...its something to consider
    06-29-09 11:23 AM
    The only thing if you unlock your phone and it "voids" the carrier warrenty..the only thing thats gonna do is they are not gonna be able to offer any kind of troubleshooting for your phone, so say your phone gets grabed by a 3 year old and all the browser or MMS settings gets messed up, most of the tech reps are gonna tell ya tough luck since its unlocked and att does not support unlocked devices, some will help but most wont...also say you have an outage in your area and you call in and they have to submit a network case and when they put down its an unlocked device the networkops will not file the case they send it back to us saying if on an unlocked device cannot support it...plus a few other things so...its something to consider
    But, if he unlocks an ATT handset, goes overseas, returns, and puts his original ATT sim back into the phone, how would tech support know the phone was ever unlocked in the first place?
    06-29-09 06:27 PM
    if at&t was the one who unlocked it then they would know. but if you unlocked it overseas and they did not try to open your phone then you're safe.
    trust me, my cousins did it to their blackberries.

and about the deductible ofr the 8900, yes it is $50. i just claimed my mom's phone and paid $50.
    06-30-09 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD