Posted by my QNX powered Z10
    02-23-15 07:38 PM
    No. But that's not really the point.
    02-23-15 07:42 PM
    Okay so help me understand what happens if the two parties are able to reach a deal? Posted by my QNX powered Z10
    02-23-15 07:53 PM
    What I hope is that T-Mobile USA will fully support all BlackBerry devices on their network, meaning features like Wi-Fi Calling will work on the Z3, Z10, Z30, Q5, Q10, Classic and Passport. Beyond that, availability online (or in store!) would be nice, but unnecessary as Amazon and ShopBlackBerry both have compatible devices available. This, of course, only ensures that current BlackBerry and T-Mobile USA customers are supported. It might be too much to ask of T-Mobile USA to be pushing BlackBerry as the other carriers definitely do not, even when they have exclusives.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 02-23-15 at 08:19 PM. Reason: the->they in last sentence
    raino likes this.
    02-23-15 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the clarification cbvinh that makes a lot of sense

Posted by my QNX powered Z10
    02-23-15 08:11 PM
    Nope.

Posted from a D618
    02-23-15 08:13 PM
    What I hope is that T-Mobile USA will fully support all BlackBerry devices on their network, meaning features like Wi-Fi Calling will work on the Z3, Z10, Z30, Q5, Q10, Classic and Passport. Beyond that, availability online (or in store!) would be nice, but unnecessary as Amazon and ShopBlackBerry both have compatible devices available. This, of course, only ensures that current BlackBerry and T-Mobile USA customers are supported. It might be too much to ask of T-Mobile USA to be pushing BlackBerry as the other carriers definitely do not, even when the have exclusives.
    I could live with that. A lot of people like interest-free EIP, and if BB could do something like that, that might be nice (beyond the six month PayPal thing they have.) But the main thing you get from a carrier is frontline support (even if it's a quick replacement,) and that seems to be where BB, on its own, is at best as good as other non-Apple OEMs.
    02-23-15 08:28 PM
    Other than "buying" iphone customers with promotions, what exactly does Tmo do special for iPhone owners. The fanbois get their updates directly from Apple. Given the cost of the iphone and the poor build quality, they nearly always get Apple Care or Square Trade.

So what goodies do the fanbois get? Does that stupid Facetime app not count against their data?

Posted via CB10
    raino and gvs1341 like this.
    02-23-15 10:19 PM
    I was thinking that TMO probably would not pick up support for Z30, Z3, and Q5 because they didn't carry them and I doubt they'll stock such old phones.

I was thinking they'd continue support for Z10, Q10 and then add the classic. I'm not sure how long AT&T has the elusive on the passport.

Or do you think they'd add the phones they didn't carry to support wifi calling ?

Z30STA100-5 /10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    02-24-15 12:19 AM
    That's pretty doubtful.
    02-24-15 12:41 AM
    I was thinking that TMO probably would not pick up support for Z30, Z3, and Q5 because they didn't carry them and I doubt they'll stock such old phones.

I was thinking they'd continue support for Z10, Q10 and then add the classic. I'm not sure how long AT&T has the elusive on the passport.

Or do you think they'd add the phones they didn't carry to support wifi calling ?
    I'm hoping for the Z30 for full touch, Classic for the keyboard and support for Passport. Maybe Z3 for pay-as-you-go?

Mainly, I'm hoping for Wi-Fi Calling for all BB10 devices, regardless of whether they sell them or not, though realistically, if they're going to supply front line support, it'll be limited to devices they carry.
    02-24-15 12:50 AM
    I'm hoping for the Z30 for full touch, Classic for the keyboard and support for Passport. Maybe Z3 for pay-as-you-go?

Mainly, I'm hoping for Wi-Fi Calling for all BB10 devices, regardless of whether they sell them or not, though realistically, if they're going to supply front line support, it'll be limited to devices they carry.
    Supporting wifi calling on unlocked phones isn't that far fetched. It can easily be stated in their contracts that bring your own phones aren't covered or serviced by T-MOBILE. You can simply bring your unlocked phone and use all the features of tmo but any issues with the phone will need to go through bbry or place of purchase or 3rd party insurance.
    02-24-15 08:31 AM
    Since this is the deal that got the breakup started, I don't think TMO will be pushing Blackberry. But, they might agree not to send their customers this kind of ad. Or, perhaps not.

If a Deal is reached between TMO and BB can we really expect TMO to back BB like they back apple and-tmobile-iphone.jpg
    02-24-15 08:52 AM
    Other than "buying" iphone customers with promotions, what exactly does Tmo do special for iPhone owners. The fanbois get their updates directly from Apple. Given the cost of the iphone and the poor build quality, they nearly always get Apple Care or Square Trade.

So what goodies do the fanbois get? Does that stupid Facetime app not count against their data?
    soo...many...shots

I don't know if this counts for anything, but that Test Drive program TMO does hands out iPhone loaners. They probably hope testers will then upgrade to an iPhone--which is probably why Apple is okay with it.

Since this is the deal that got the breakup started, I don't think TMO will be pushing Blackberry. But, they might agree not to send their customers this kind of ad. Or, perhaps not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmobile-iphone.jpg 
Views:	1601 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	336521
    Is that a recent email??
    02-24-15 01:17 PM
    Is that a recent email??
    That's "the deal that got the breakup started". So, no, not recent.
    raino likes this.
    02-24-15 01:41 PM
    Who cares as long as I can get a BlackBerry Passport with T Mobile Branding. Wifi calling and that text thingy app while I'm in the air.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 01:33 AM
    Who cares as long as I can get a BlackBerry Passport with T Mobile Branding. Wifi calling and that text thingy app while I'm in the air.
    It would be nicer if the phone wasn't branded and completely unlocked.

Wi-Fi Calling is probably the only feature that T-Mobile would have to test. Unless the in-air thing requires a special app. The rest should work.
    02-26-15 03:10 AM
    What we really need is for BlackBerry to make their newer phone more agile. That is support more bands. An unlocked phone is only useful if it will work on multiple carriers.

Apple was late to the game with LTE, but they eventually made a product that supports many LTE bands. (Performance in some bands apparently not so good ;-))

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 03:32 AM
    If T-Mo and BlackBerry reach a deal, I expect that T-Mobile will treat BlackBerry phones like most other phones they offer: EIP easy pay plan, wifi calling support, online sales support, and perhaps some in-store displays.

This would be wonderful for BlackBerry and every little bit of carrier support would help. The question is which phones in BlackBerry's 2015 device portfolio would sell to T-Mobile customers? Another question for T-Mo is the return rate and support needs of BlackBerry phones as compared to market leader and customer satisfaction leader, Apple.

I'm a long time T-Mo customer with both a Z30 and Z10, and I'd like more BlackBerry support and future device options, so I hope that the Visa/Victoria and Titan are offered in-store.
    02-26-15 09:59 AM
    Unless the in-air thing requires a special app.
    As I understand it, there was an OTA update pushed to the phones that are capable, and if I'm not mistaken, they are all Android phones.
    What we really need is for BlackBerry to make their newer phone more agile. That is support more bands. An unlocked phone is only useful if it will work on multiple carriers.
    The Passport does a lot better at at addressing your point than previous phones. They're both at least novem-band LTE and penta-band UMTS, with great compatibility for Europe, North and most of South America, etc. The -1 model of the Passport is actually deca-band, but that tenth band is 700 MHz of the Verizon kind.

One set of LTE bands that is conspicuously absent is TD-LTE bands. They are big in China and developing countries; not sure why BB has shied away from them. Just one TDD band--band 41--could get them China, complete LTE coverage on Softbank, and a few other places. Maybe they just don't want the headache of dealing with the Chinese government.

The Classic, while multi-band is still a step backwards as it does not match or exceed the Passport's global compatibility. Expected from a fleet phone, I suppose.
    02-26-15 10:06 AM
    The Classic doesn't have a Paratek antenna, which probably explains the lack of agility.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 12:13 PM
    The Classic doesn't have a Paratek antenna, which probably explains the lack of agility.
    That may be so and I wouldn't be surprised if it is, but have you seen anything official saying that Paratek is present in the Passport? Outside of a BB fan blog that doesn't cite a source, I haven't seen any documentation of Paratek incorporation since the Z30.
    02-26-15 12:46 PM
    That may be so and I wouldn't be surprised if it is, but have you seen anything official saying that Paratek is present in the Passport? Outside of a BB fan blog that doesn't cite a source, I haven't seen any documentation of Paratek incorporation since the Z30.
    Somewhere on a BlackBerry forum it was posted by a BlackBerry employee. Did you ever use the FCC product database to get details on the passport?

The other thing to consider is larger phones have more room for antennas.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 02:22 PM
    Somewhere on a BlackBerry forum it was posted by a BlackBerry employee. Did you ever use the FCC product database to get details on the passport?

The other thing to consider is larger phones have more room for antennas.
    I did cursory searches through all Passport PDFs for 'Paratek' and did not find a mention. But perhaps what's more telling is that BB's product page for the Z30 mentions Paratek by name; the Passport's does not.
    02-26-15 02:40 PM
    The antenna should be visible in the photos section of the report. I will take a look at the Z30 later to verify this.

Edit: all I find for the Z30 on the FCC database is some letter about temporary confidentially.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by gariac; 02-26-15 at 06:37 PM.
    02-26-15 04:11 PM
89 123 ...