this probably could have been placed under "other smartphones", but I figured it was more a mention about the next generation of phones (in this case a modern well spec'd Android), on iDEN...

Motorola Opus One specification

like the 8350i, it appears to be iDEN only for cellular. though it does have wi-fi too.
    12-21-09 05:11 PM
    iDen for cellular was great for me better coverage then Sprints CDMA. But I didn't see if the phone will use iden for data also? That will kill it if it does.
    12-21-09 06:08 PM
    iDen for cellular was great for me better coverage then Sprints CDMA. But I didn't see if the phone will use iden for data also? That will kill it if it does.
    there's no mention of another radio technology in there, so I assume it will be just like the 8350i.
    12-21-09 06:19 PM
    Thats looks OK to me.... maybe i will wait it out. Any idea when it will be available?
    12-21-09 08:30 PM
    Ok, i have looked at all the videos I can find on the net... i think i want the Opus 1. How soon will it be available? I am finally excited for a new nextel phone.
    12-21-09 09:33 PM
    beats me, just heard about it today. spring or summer though I would imagine.
    12-21-09 09:43 PM
    Dang.... i'm getting the itch for a new phone BAAAAAD. I need to stay with nextel because of a few contractors i work with. Otherwise i pitch the nextel and have a sprint/android phone. Oh well, i am still glad to see the Opus 1 is coming.
    12-21-09 09:50 PM
    Dang.... i'm getting the itch for a new phone BAAAAAD. I need to stay with nextel because of a few contractors i work with. Otherwise i pitch the nextel and have a sprint/android phone. Oh well, i am still glad to see the Opus 1 is coming.
    yeah I hear ya, was dependent on iDEN when I was lower on the totem-pole doing larger commercial electrical, but changing jobs left me with just a few friends that had it, and i didn't need it anymore... finally was free to migrate to a native Sprint device.

It's a great technology for instant communications, but the coverage sucks outside metro areas, and the achilles heel in the 8350i is that it's iDEN only for cellular. Really should have been iDEN for voice, with CDMA for data, or CDMA for both, with iDEN exclusively for PTT on the device.
    12-21-09 10:00 PM
    yeah I hear ya, was dependent on iDEN when I was lower on the totem-pole doing larger commercial electrical, but changing jobs left me with just a few friends that had it, and i didn't need it anymore... finally was free to migrate to a native Sprint device.

It's a great technology for instant communications, but the coverage sucks outside metro areas, and the achilles heel in the 8350i is that it's iDEN only for cellular. Really should have been iDEN for voice, with CDMA for data, or CDMA for both, with iDEN exclusively for PTT on the device.
    Coverage for me in Michigan is not a problem usually. I work with a company that has turned off the phone feature on all of their employee phones except for their foreman. Its also very handy for using when plowing snow too. I have been hearing about a "hybrid" CDMA/iDen phone. It cant come soon enough for me.
    12-21-09 10:29 PM
    Coverage for me in Michigan is not a problem usually. I work with a company that has turned off the phone feature on all of their employee phones except for their foreman. Its also very handy for using when plowing snow too. I have been hearing about a "hybrid" CDMA/iDen phone. It cant come soon enough for me.
    As long as you don't go into the upper pennisula. NO (read: NONE) Iden coverage there.
    12-21-09 11:40 PM
    to bad they dont upgrade there network or offer us Widen at least . shame to put new phones out that rely on 10 yr old technology .
    12-22-09 01:20 PM
    As long as you don't go into the upper pennisula. NO (read: NONE) Iden coverage there.
    Maybe someday. Although when head to the U.P., it it to get AWAY....at least for me.
    12-23-09 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD