So I have had my Pearl since April, and I have always regretted not getting a better model BlackBerry. I resigned a 2-year contract at this time, so I obviously have a lot of time left on my contract. Does anyone know any way that I could upgrade my phone by resigning or something like that so that I wouldn't have to pay the full price for a new BlackBerry?

Thanks!
    11-19-09 06:26 PM
    Well it never hurts to call USCC and ask but the short answer is probably not. Seven months is a far cry from the 18 required to upgrade.

The question is how much are you willing to spend? Because you could pay your ETF and then take advantage of the Black Friday promotion and get a free Tour...essentially paying about $150 for the Tour IIRC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 06:40 PM
    When I went in to ask about the 18month upgrade option they said I wasn't eligable till august 2010 when I got my phone in august 2008. What's up with that?

11-23-09 01:56 AM
    When I went in to ask about the 18month upgrade option they said I wasn't eligable till august 2010 when I got my phone in august 2008. What's up with that?

They're wrong. If you signed a 2 year contract you are eligible for new equipment after 18 months. Which for you would be Feb. 2010. The only thing you can do is call CS and ask for an early upgrade, you're only three months away so they might do it but it's never a sure thing.

11-23-09 09:27 AM
    Alright. Would I call regular customer service or the specialized blackberry section of the CS. So let's say I do call and they say "hey ya you can get an early upgrade" would I just go into my dealer store and be like "hey I want a new tour they said I could upgrade."

11-23-09 03:53 PM
    Alright. Would I call regular customer service or the specialized blackberry section of the CS. So let's say I do call and they say "hey ya you can get an early upgrade" would I just go into my dealer store and be like "hey I want a new tour they said I could upgrade."

Regular CS is fine, they may transfer you to the Customer Relations department but you look pushy when you immediately ask them to be transferred. Once they approve the early upgrade they'll make a note in your account, then when you go into the store the person there will bring up your account and see the note.
    11-23-09 04:08 PM
    So just be like "hello my name is _____ and I have a contract with you currently and love it. I am wondering if I would be able to get you to grant me an early upgrade since my 18 month window is available in feburary"

Sound good or is there a key to it?

11-23-09 04:15 PM
    You want a script? lol, jk, you'll be fine man, just tell them your story and if they tell you no then ask to be transferred to customer retentions because you're canceling if you can't get an early upgrade, be firm but polite.
    11-23-09 05:05 PM
    You want a script? lol, jk, you'll be fine man, just tell them your story and if they tell you no then ask to be transferred to customer retentions because you're canceling if you can't get an early upgrade, be firm but polite.
    Well if your offering. Im just trying to improve my chances as much as possible. Do as much research as possible. Increases the chances.
    11-23-09 06:50 PM
    Well if your offering. Im just trying to improve my chances as much as possible. Do as much research as possible. Increases the chances.
    Nah, I don't have a script. Just tell them your story, that you want to upgrade to the Tour early...if they give you crap, tell them how long you've been a customer, etc. If they still give you crap then ask to speak to the CS rep's manager, and so on and so forth, just keep escalating, and again be polite but firm.
    11-23-09 10:16 PM
    Alright sounds good. Hopefully 12 years of my families and my money will mean something to them.

11-24-09 12:28 AM
    The guy at the store by my house told me that after a year I could buy out my contract and buy the phone for 149. Not bad. Otherwise I could wait another year. But I wont. I like the 8330 but with all these new berries coming out, its hard.
    11-30-09 06:53 PM
    Free > $149

11-30-09 07:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD