Okay I've noticed this odd thing lately. No matter where I am on campus, I keep getting booted off the T-Mobile network and have to use ATT roaming.

This is sort of bugging me because my apps don't work as well on ATT and I don't like using roaming data because I know what happens if you use too much...college internet connection has been screwy too (due to the weather) and I NEED to tether for some research.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I manually switch to T-Mo but then get booted off within 5 min even though the signal's fine. I'm stumped!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-09 09:11 PM
    For some reason, the AT&T towers must be giving off a stronger signal that the T-Mobile towers.
    12-12-09 10:54 PM
    Yeah, here AT&T is like all 5 bars...but I've never had this problem before. Whenever there's T-Mobile, regardless of signal strength compared to AT&T, I'm supposed to be on it.

Hmm...it's a real mystery here. I'm going to go ahead and try to tether with the AT&T. Network isn't letting my comp connect so I don't have any choice...
    12-13-09 12:21 AM
    Have you recently adjusted the network connection settings, or installed an app that may have done so?

Under Network Connection, is the setting set to detect the mobile network automatically or manually? If you run a device diagnostic, what net work(s) are in the report?

It could be weather related or tower closest to campus is having a problem.
    I'd at least report the problem to TMO, just in case it's a problem with one or more towers in the area. This sounds like a recent problem, and there shouldn't be a constant flip flopping from TMO to AT&T roaming.

Edit: Is your TMO phone the only one that you know if doing this? Might be worth checking into exchanging or borrowing another TMO phone to see if it might be just your phone.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 12-13-09 at 04:03 PM.
    12-13-09 04:01 PM
    I would recommend calling T-Mobile and try not to tether too much on AT&T. T-mobile could dump you if you use lots of data on AT&T which will happen if you tether.

12-13-09 05:00 PM
    Yeah my Mobile Network is set up to Automatic with T-Mobile being the "preferred" one.

Today is a little better. Not quite as much switching. I would ask some of my T-Mobile friends if they are experiencing it but neither of them text and I haven't seen them around recently. (Finals week - everyone hiberates or something).

I've reported it to T-Mobile so we'll see what happens. I tethered last night and didn't use too much data so we'll see.
    12-13-09 05:20 PM
    A store tmo rep said they ended all roaming with att

12-14-09 08:45 AM
    Tmo did not end any roaming. Fcc mandates roaming for all carriers on like systems.

12-14-09 10:17 AM
    Yeah Tmo didn't get rid of roaming. That rep was totally wrong.

Odd, everything's back to normal now. I still roam when I go into the chem/bio building but that's ok.

12-14-09 01:54 PM
    Yeah Tmo didn't get rid of roaming. That rep was totally wrong.

Odd, everything's back to normal now. I still roam when I go into the chem/bio building but that's ok.

Is the school Wi-Fi working any better? I have AT&T and I never roam on T-Mobile here, but I always use the Wi-Fi at school. I haven't had issues with Wi-Fi.
    12-14-09 01:58 PM
    I used to use wifi here all the time last year but this year, they've implemented a new network security system. Now, unless you're a PC, Mac, or iPhone/iPod Touch, you can't connect to the wifi. It's so lame.

The only place I can use wifi is with my dorm router, but I can't get UMA. I believe the school has disabled voip access of many sorts over the wifi.

Don't get me wrong, I love my college, but the network here sucks and is run by a bunch of dolts. You can't go to them for any help...

12-14-09 02:51 PM
    I used to use wifi here all the time last year but this year, they've implemented a new network security system. Now, unless you're a PC, Mac, or iPhone/iPod Touch, you can't connect to the wifi. It's so lame.

The only place I can use wifi is with my dorm router, but I can't get UMA. I believe the school has disabled voip access of many sorts over the wifi.

Don't get me wrong, I love my college, but the network here sucks and is run by a bunch of dolts. You can't go to them for any help...

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad any Wi-Fi devices work at my college.
    12-14-09 03:08 PM
    It has been a strange evening. I noticed my internet was going extremely slow and then I noticed "edge" on my phone. I restarted my device once and still "edge". I did a battery pull and it went back to "EDGE". Here's the thing, I started noticing my incoming texts displaying telephone numbers instead of the names so I paid no attention because I thought it was a glitch. Then I went to text someone and I noticed that I had NO CONTACTS whatsoever. I restarted my phone and no contacts. ALL WERE LOST! How is the question? Luckily for me, I had a back up for about 99% of my contacts from early November. I don't know if this is part of these strange things happening to us. Perhaps TMO is upgrading to 3G around here.
    12-14-09 09:19 PM
    Armando, not sure how updating towers would have had an effect on a non 3G phone like the 8320. Sounds more like a hardware glitch in the phone.

Good thing you do backups.
    12-14-09 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD