I got my Bold 9700 on Christmas eve, and everything was good. But a couple of days ago I noticed the bezel comming away from the phone on the left hand side. It is noticeable and if you look at it from a horizontal view, you can see light comming from inside the phone and it is wide enough that dust and dirt could get inside.
    I would try pushing it back in, it would stay, but later it would do the same thing.

So yesterday, I took it back to the T-mobile store I got it from, and the tmobile worker looked at it and said they couldn't exchange it for another one. I said why not, I am still within the 30 day period, she said the problem with the bezel was phyiscal damage and there was nothing they could do.

I then ask to speak to a store manager, and he said the same thing. He said it was physical damage. I asked him if it could be a defect and he said no, that the phones they get, aren't usually defective, and they will notice when they take them out of the box.

The manager then said if I had insurance on the phone, I then could do a insurance claim on it. I said all I want is a phone that is free from defects, and he said there is nothing he could do for me. ( I had kept this phone in a gel case and never dropped it.)

I was wanting to know if there was anything else that I can do, or am I pretty much left with a phone that is comming apart? Thank for any help or suggestions.

Timothy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by proactix; 01-09-10 at 12:42 PM.
    01-09-10 12:37 PM
    Try going to another Tmo store. Or, calling customer service may help, they may be willing to send you a different device.
    01-09-10 12:43 PM
    Yeah, if you're within your 30 days, I wouldn't take no for an answer. If they won't help you in-store, call Customer Service and explain to them what has happened. You can always threaten to cancel your contract, and the call will be escalated to Retentions, and they will almost always help you to keep you as a customer.
    Good luck!
    01-09-10 01:19 PM
    Well I just called customer service and told them about what happened. They told me that I would need to go back to the store, that they will put some notes in my account. So I will see what happens.

01-09-10 01:35 PM
    Been there done that, got no where. Had the same problem and ended buying a new bezel from Crackberry which broke even faster than the original. Once they have your money, no real reason to deal with you. Insurance does not really help, you would still need to pay the deductable.
    01-09-10 03:15 PM
    Geo, that is what really got me, I paid retail for the phone, and now, it is like "whatever" attitude from the tmobile store. But I still got love them, never had any problems with them before and I will still be with them for many years to come.

01-09-10 03:42 PM
    I would def try another store and be firm about it with the reps. Assuming you're treating your 9700 well, the bezel should not be damaging like it is now.

01-09-10 05:11 PM
    Geo, that is what really got me, I paid retail for the phone, and now, it is like "whatever" attitude from the tmobile store. But I still got love them, never had any problems with them before and I will still be with them for many years to come.

The point here is you paid retail for it. You paid what, $450 for it? If you paid that much for a phone it better be in perfect condition, especially something that is supposed to last you two years. If not, Tmo should replace it for you.

If going to another store does not work, then you may have another option, which some people around here may not like, and if this post gets deleted you can pm me and I will let you know how it works.

You can add insurance on a phone within 30 days, from whenever you bought it, as long as you bought it from Tmo. What I would do, is call them and add insurance. A couple of weeks from now just call them and say your phone was lost/stolen. You will have to pay a deductible (or whatever Tmo calls it) but if that's what it takes to get a new phone then do it. Then, the phone that you reported "lost/stolen," sell the parts on ebay or craigslist.
    01-10-10 08:57 AM
    Call T-Mobile, threaten to leave and ask to be transfered to retentions. I do not normally recommend this, but you have a complete, 100% viable gripe here and you paid for a better device than this.
    01-10-10 10:36 AM
    I agree with bigtime2. When the "man" starts to push you, sometimes you have to push back and use whatever means you have available. I hope it all works for you proactix.
    01-11-10 04:13 AM
    Update: I am sorry for not posting an update, but I got this problem resolved. I took the phone back, (apparently they got a new store manager), and they swapped it out, and the new 9700 is perfect in all ways...just thought I would let you guys now how it turned out...

Timothy
    02-05-10 04:35 AM
    Good job Tim for your continued effort!

I love it when they are all smiles when you want to buy the phone but acts carelessly when you want to return.

Unfortunately you are dealing with the attitude with most sales people regardless of what they sell. They get your commission and that's the end of your "use" to them. Most of them can't keep their job long enough to care and they wonder why.

If everyone can be like Norriscell that is knowledgeable and cares about their job, then it's all peanut butter and jelly and a spanking spit good 'ol time!
    02-05-10 03:38 PM
    If everyone can be like Norriscell that is knowledgeable and cares about their job, then it's all peanut butter and jelly and a spanking spit good 'ol time!
    Thanks for the compliment.

To the OP: I'm glad you got it resolved. It should never have been an issue in the first place. Luckily someone was able to see that and get you fixed up.
    02-07-10 03:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD