That should have said this *coming* year

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 09:40 PM
    Man, you VZW people are total sheep. I mean, go to any metro area and all service is the same. You get 2 bars in Walpole WI, fantastic. 99% of you never travel more than 100 miles in any direction, yet you are duped into thinking that big red map matters at all. VZW has an awesome con going on, lol. Who cares how red the map is, 1% of you are going to go somewhere where you cant find coverage. As far as the most dependable statements, or whatever, VZW has one study saying they are, Sprint has studies saying they are. Its all subjective, and area dependent. Its VZW trying to conquor the world, and they've got 90 Million sheep paying upwards of 2-5k more a year for perceived greatness, when the vast, and I mean vast majority of people can use any carrier and get equal service. Bunch of sheep lol.
    Thank you for speaking on behalf of the other 99% of verizon customers. Short of that please share where you got the stats from, that you posted here.

Thank you
    11-25-09 10:16 PM
    Nobody can accuse me of being a sheep in this particular case. I agree with that map because at least in the southern half of the US, I experienced it firsthand this fall.

If VZW does not or cannot operate in a certain area, and there are smaller CDMA carriers in the neighborhood out to make a buck, they make a roaming agreement. However, they won't sell you a phone with the local area code if they don't have a license to operate there.

ETA: Gonna have to pass on any bets involving showing up in anyone's hometown though... Will probably need my remaining vacation time for a bone marrow donation. D:

Didn't mean to sound hostile if I came off that way. I hold no carrier loyalty, and to me it sure isn't worth all the fussing and fueding that goes on here sometimes

And I know you're right. In my area, there are no local carriers. The far western suburbs of DC are Sprint country and have been since the MCI days, which explains their great service in this little corner of the planet. Was just poking at ALL the carriers and their new trend of Apple style marketing.

And it was an invitation not a wager lol.
    11-25-09 10:28 PM
    It's really very simple. Since the Summer of 2008 AT&T has been advertising that they have "The Nation's Fastest 3G Network." Fine. After over a year VZW called them to the carpet with their recent ad campaign. AT&T didn't go to the National Advertising Division of the BBB. They didn't go to the FTC or, for that matter, the FCC. Instead they lawyered up and sued VZW in Georgia. How's that working out for them? Their motion for the Court to enter a TRO estopping VZW from airing the ads was... denied. In the words of a famous Storm forum troll: "Mark My Words!"... AT&T will either drop their suit and slither back into their whole or, more likely, will press the matter at the advice of their counsel (who are billing $650/hour), and will fail on VZW's soon to be filed motion for summary judgment.

In contrast, Sprint has been utilizing a remarkably similar tag line: "The Nation's Most Dependable 3G Network." Now, when you say "fastest", at least there's some wiggle room. However when you hold yourself out to provide the "most dependable" service the natural question is "Compare to what?". That's where Sprint's in trouble, IMO. "Most dependable" coverage implies better, higher-quality, more resilient, more responsive coverage than your competitors' coverage. In this instance VZW pulled the trigger and shared what was, apparently, impartial testing data with the BBB, leading the BBB to, in a somewhat uncommon action among "big players", formally seek Sprint's voluntary withdrawal of the use of their current tag line.

It isn't hypocrisy when you're right

EDIT: Oh, and to the guy who stated 99% of us don't travel, blah blah blah, sheep this sheep that (sorry, I can't be troubled to scroll up to find your SN), you're talking out of your ***. You haven't a clue what my travel requirements and locales are, nor will you. And in closing, "I make more than you make" arguments lost their cool, for must of us, after our first job out of college. Which I assume you attended...
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-26-09 at 03:11 PM. Reason: language
    11-25-09 10:50 PM
    It's really very simple. Since the Summer of 2008 AT&T has been advertising that they have "The Nation's Fastest 3G Network." Fine. After over a year VZW called them to the carpet with their recent ad campaign. AT&T didn't go to the National Advertising Division of the BBB. They didn't go to the FTC or, for that matter, the FCC. Instead they lawyered up and sued VZW in Georgia. How's that working out for them? Their motion for the Court to enter a TRO estopping VZW from airing the ads was... denied. In the words of a famous Storm forum troll: "Mark My Words!"... AT&T will either drop their suit and slither back into their whole or, more likely, will press the matter at the advice of their counsel (who are billing $650/hour), and will fail on VZW's soon to be filed motion for summary judgment.

In contrast, Sprint has been utilizing a remarkably similar tag line: "The Nation's Most Dependable 3G Network." Now, when you say "fastest", at least there's some wiggle room. However when you hold yourself out to provide the "most dependable" service the natural question is "Compare to what?". That's where Sprint's in trouble, IMO. "Most dependable" coverage implies better, higher-quality, more resilient, more responsive coverage than your competitors' coverage. In this instance VZW pulled the trigger and shared what was, apparently, impartial testing data with the BBB, leading the BBB to, in a somewhat uncommon action among "big players", formally seek Sprint's voluntary withdrawal of the use of their current tag line.

It isn't hypocrisy when you're right

EDIT: Oh, and to the guy who stated 99% of us don't travel, blah blah blah, sheep this sheep that (sorry, I can't be troubled to scroll up to find your SN), you're talking out of your ***. You haven't a clue what my travel requirements and locales are, nor will you. And in closing, "I make more than you make" arguments lost their cool, for must of us, after our first job out of college. Which I assume you attended...
    Yes, of course, everyone travels. Obviously, people have a hard time understanding hyperbole. The point remains, the VAST amount of people can pick any carrier they want, and get equal service, even if they travel.

Short of being an OTR driver, business professionals generally travel within metropolitan areas. So you leave Boston, and go to LA, or leave LA and go to Chicago. I don't know many high powered business people flying to Nome, AK to close that big deal. Having VZW nets no benefits to most people. People see that big red map and go, man, I got the Network! If you want to insinuate that the vast majority of VZW customers are going to take advantage of the map, then you are the one talking out of your a$$. The Vast majority of people stay within the area they work and live at, until they go on vacation. Of course, everyone on this site is very important, and all the jet-setters respond in this thread to prove they need service in Buzzkill Idaho. Whatever.

As far as making money comments, he inferred I am with Sprint because I am too cheap to pay for VZW. Well, I left VZW because I realized the con. Why pay more to get less. I never, ever, have signal problems or drop calls where I live work and play. People need the validation that they have the best for some reason, and people think VZW is some type of status symbol. I think its great, feed the big red devil, when you can get T-Mobile, or Sprint, and have the exact same coverage. Pay 2-5K more over the course of your contract, great. Like I said, I'm not loyal to any carrier, I am objective though, and I can see BS when its slapped under my nose.
    11-26-09 12:08 AM
    The data excluded the VZW roaming agreements - VZW claimed that if Sprint didn't have the agreements, their effective network size would be smaller & therefore less reliable. The problem is, Sprint's actual effective area is larger than VZW's. I explained how & why in te Random reps thread - I don't feel like boring you all with duplicating it here.

Also, a bit of a discerning eye is needed - last I heard, VZW is a big supporter of the national BBB, while AT&T and Sprint are not.

Funny how VZW has tried various court actions against Sprint without success, so they have to bring in the (gasp) BBB.

I can see Sprint shaking now. How petty & childish - it is a marketing game that VZW is playing hoping to convince the ignorant.

If VZW wants to claim they are better than Sprint, they would need to cut off Sprint's roaming. of course, Sprint provides more of VZW's backhaul than does VZW, so this might cause a problem - then VZW is very reliant on Sprint repeaters in many metro areas...

Sorry guys, but overall, the tests show you're less likely to drop a call on Sprint while in an urban area. Out in the sticks, you're less likely to drop a call on VZW. The percentage difference in rural areas is statistically irrelevant, though.

A VZW rep will unintentionally lie to you about this, though.
    11-26-09 12:27 AM
    Thread cleaned. Good carrier discussion, but leave out the personal attacks.
    11-26-09 03:22 PM
    Verizon can't touch Sprint's pricing on my plan (a Verizon store rep admitted as much) and Sprint covers my needs more than adequately right now.

If Sprint should tank, however, I know where I'll go.

There's no need for vehement loyalty to a radio signal, in my opinion.
    11-27-09 04:58 AM
    Thank you FM for the cleaning, jees,it turn into a flame throwing contest. i like to use CB so i can get info on my berry, but anymore by the end of the first page it turns in a pissn contest
    11-27-09 07:15 AM
    I would switch to sprint in a heartbeat but the business lines are all vzw and as such it would end up costing the business a lot of money.

11-27-09 03:48 PM
    My question is Sprint says they are the most dependable. Most dependable based on what? Their coverage area is not even close to at&t and Verizon's. Sprint is almost as cheap as T-Mobile except Sprint has more roaming agreements with Verizon then T-Mobile has with at&t. I could not get Sprint where I live, they do not have a tower hear. I wonder if Sprint has a map for that?
    11-27-09 03:55 PM
    @Twins: Yes, I read your comparison when you published it 10 or so days ago (estimating, sorry). It was interesting, a good, unbiased read incorporating input from a variety of sources.

That said, when I tried to help another CB user earlier today, who was trying to compare pricing for 3 lines of BB service between the major carriers I had no difficulty locating the info from AT&T's or VZW's websites, but, oddly, when I selected "family plans" from sprint.com I was directed to a "direct connect" shared account. Cleared cache, deleted cookies, erased history, restarted browser.. same thing. Could just be me, and I'm not a Sprint hater (or a hater of any carrier), but if as a potential customer I can't easily locate pricing and plan info online I'm going to be disinclined to go with that service.

I realize that a little off-topic, but my point is this: VZW says they cover the most square miles with 3G; AT&T says they have the "fastest" 3G network; Sprint/Nextel says they have the "most dependable" 3G network. It's a battle that's going on between these carriers to sign up new customers (particularly data customers). They're going to do and say anything and everything they can to achieve that goal - even if doing so might stretch the bounds of reality. Hypocrisy isn't the issue, competition is.
    11-27-09 04:05 PM
    One thing to promote a product or service, its another to say things that are not true, as in most reliable ( statics show ) this is not true
    Ummm, Sprint is the most reliable according to PC World, VZW fanboy.

A Day in the Life of 3G - PC World
    11-28-09 03:43 PM
    Ummm, Sprint is the most reliable according to PC World, VZW fanboy.

A Day in the Life of 3G - PC World
    Hey Sprint Fangirl, those tests were in 13 cities out of thousands that VZW provides 3G service in. Not to mention there was only a 0.7% difference in reliability.

VZW travels the nation to test their network and others'. VZW can back the facts up - simple as that.
    11-28-09 04:15 PM
    If anyone is being hypocritical, its AT&T. They complain that the VZW ad maps might be misleading, then they use a 2G coverage map and try to draw comparisons to the VZW ads.

Now who's being misleading?
    11-28-09 04:24 PM
    This thread's still alive? It's so far off topic as to belong in the off-topic forum.
    11-28-09 04:54 PM
    All this back and forth with these two is childish and not necessary, most of my Family has VZW which is fine by me. That is their choice, I personally have had good luck with AT&T. My only problem with VZW is their dreaded UI on all their phones, but that is just my opinion.
    11-28-09 05:32 PM
    I think the funniest thing about this whole advertising campaign is that there is a lot of public mud slinging and probably not alot of disdain behind closed doors. Like twins pointed out in one post, sprint provides alot of the backhaul in some areas for verizon.

The relationships between these companies are deep, intertwined, and far more complex than a series of posters on a fan site can fathom. And many of you know this already and STILL ignore it and get fanboyish about your carriers.

And apple is just as guilty as the rest of them for their attack ads:
    Apple - Get a Mac - Watch the TV Ads

But remember, its nothing personal, just business to many of these companies.
    11-28-09 05:49 PM
    The ads make a lot of sense to me..
    11-28-09 07:10 PM
    Ok seriously. Please just stop. No one cares.

11-28-09 09:52 PM
    ..the three of you (ROC/Weekendbum/tsguy) have reached the point of being irrelevant & inane.
    So have you.
    11-29-09 05:24 PM
    37 Posts deleted. Public flogging with the modstick to tsguy, Dads, & ROC! Jim said it best (although I deleted that comment too) you all sound like an old married couple! Thread will remain closed!

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    11-29-09 06:37 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD