Hey guys was wondering if anyone has actually tried these out? I recently purchased a netbook and would like to try one out. WHat do you guys think? I currently own a blackberry bold 9000 i know i can tether its just I want quick access all the time, I have the 6 gig plan will rogers allow me to share that with my rocket stick and BB?
    12-10-09 07:39 PM
    No as far as i am aware the rocket needs its own separate plan. Its just like getting a second phone = Another plan.

As for speed, it will be just as fast as the fastest rogers offers = 3G or whatever is in your area, just like your bold does.

The nice thing about it, is that you can have it hooked up and still talk on your BB without having to tether...

To me i won't buy one cause if i need to browse outside of my house i will use my blackberry bold as my little computer away from home.
    12-11-09 10:33 PM
    I use one on a tiered plan, I don't think you can combine it with your 6gig. It is not for everyone but it really works for me as I work from home and sometimes its nice to get out and work in the park, so the rocket stick works for me there.
    12-12-09 08:34 AM
    If only its Plans weren't so dearly expensive for so few Gigs...

I think there's still a smartphone and Rocket Stick Plan - sharing the same GBs - but again, its nowhere near the $30 for 6GB one might hope for - and its unlikely Rogers will let you share.
    Last edited by Bazza1; 12-13-09 at 07:59 AM.
    12-12-09 12:01 PM
    There is a combo, but it shares only 1GB....
    12-12-09 12:25 PM
    I didnt realize there was a "SHARED" plan available?? I'll have to call in maybe rententions can do something for me with the shared 6 gigs, i really dont use that much every month i just like the feeling knowing i wont go over. Been a loyal customer for 16 years, worth a shot anyway. thanks guys!!!
    12-12-09 03:21 PM
    Worth a shot, indeed.

Bon chance!
    12-13-09 07:59 AM
    from my experience...the bell stick is better than the rocket stick.
    Iv used both.
    12-14-09 07:15 PM
    And all the Providers' stick Plan prices suggest collusion rather than competition.
    12-15-09 08:29 AM
    I'm getting one of these over the weekend, will report with what goes on with what customer service says and it's quality!
    12-15-09 08:59 AM
    PLease do, just got my netbook deliverd today and would like to see if they will allow sharing, only reason i dont like tethering on my BB is that it disables all BB functions with the phone and data. I have certain things that I do while tethering and have to use my blackberry for Messenger at the same time
    12-15-09 06:28 PM
    They won't allow sharing. Just called about it. You need a new plan because apparently it's a whole different service that uses completely different technologies.
    12-17-09 11:34 AM
    maybe I'll just contiune to tether then! much cheaper and i'll never go over 6 gigs, just wish my msn messenger would work while tethering
    12-17-09 06:28 PM
    When I spoke with the Rogers Techs, they can not be combined with current plans. Family shared and 6GB data plans included. It also does require, yet another, credit check with them. It's cheaper just to tether or hit the Wi-Fi spots that most businesses have now.

On a side note, if you don't use your data plan A LOT!, it's not worth getting the "Unlimited" 6GB plan. I spent hours and hours and even more hours, (Twitter, Facebook, internet several times/day, et al.) on my phone's 3G network, not even Wi-Fi, and only used 1GB. Most ever in one month for myself. Maybe it'll help some of you all save some dollars.
    12-18-09 01:41 AM
    ...On a side note, if you don't use your data plan A LOT!, it's not worth getting the "Unlimited" 6GB plan. I spent hours and hours and even more hours, (Twitter, Facebook, internet several times/day, et al.) on my phone's 3G network, not even Wi-Fi, and only used 1GB. Most ever in one month for myself. Maybe it'll help some of you all save some dollars.
    While some of this can be put down to how BBs use data (thru RIM's servers - when they're working...), I much suspect that users would be using their BBs available data time more quickly if the net browsing / streaming experience didn't suck so badly. The smallish screens and lousy browser do little to encourage 'real' internet use.

The iPhone works its way thru data so quickly because it has no server compression but also because there is a reasonable browser on a bigger screen.

As for the sticks - I think the very last thing that Rogers (or Bell or Telus) wants is for these things to threaten, even just a little, the use of their residential internet service. While there are loads of people who run through their allotted cap of GB on their residential service, there are a number of users who could quite happily live with a $30 for 6GB on a fast 7 - 21 Mbps stick.

So hardly surprising that Rogers doesn't want to play nice with your current data plans and the idea of sharing that with your BB.
    12-18-09 08:27 AM
    does anyoneknow what kind of NAT there is on these rocket sticks ? The nat on the cell phone stuff sucks the big one !
    12-18-09 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD