I went from free texting in the US with my Curve to now having to pay $0.45 with the new Bold 9700. So when I went to the US last week I went to my firewall settings on the Bold and disabled receipt of SMS and MMS. I didn't send or receive one text in the US, and my firewall said "47 SMS blocked". Now I just got my bill and I'm being charged $77.00 for "international text messaging". I give up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 03:00 AM
    Damn man, that sucks!! call in and complain to that BS.

I'm soo happy i ended up ditching the idea of a 9700 and getting the tour.
    11-24-09 09:44 AM
    Eek! I'm on the fence right now with getting the 9700.... I really like the idea of the trackpad... but I don't like the idea of being charged for text messages like that! Does it cost extra to text from canada to someone who lives in the states?
    11-24-09 12:17 PM
    Eek! I'm on the fence right now with getting the 9700.... I really like the idea of the trackpad... but I don't like the idea of being charged for text messages like that! Does it cost extra to text from canada to someone who lives in the states?
    The 9700 is a sweet phone for sure, and the trackpad is awesome.

It's allegedly still free to text US numbers while you're in Canada, it's just when you're "roaming" in the US that they rake you over the coals for both sending and receiving texts.

Also, when you get a voicemail, you automatically get a text notifying you of the VM, so you're charged for that too in the US.

If you're on the fence about the 9700 but don't want to pay for US texts, you may want to wait for the Tour 2, its very similar but will work on the CDMA network. Only problem is who knows if Telus will get it.

Last edited by DaveInVan; 11-25-09 at 05:40 AM.
    11-24-09 04:49 PM
    Guys not to be a naysayer or anything but this new HSPA network is essentially Telus' version of how Rogers (or Robbers depending on your experience) does things. Just cause our old network allowed for free texting in the US doesn't mean the new network will. Why? Because afaik all my friends on rogers and bell do NOT have free, or unlimited texting while in the US....so take that into consideration.
    11-24-09 05:20 PM
    Guys not to be a naysayer or anything but this new HSPA network is essentially Telus' version of how Rogers (or Robbers depending on your experience) does things. Just cause our old network allowed for free texting in the US doesn't mean the new network will. Why? Because afaik all my friends on rogers and bell do NOT have free, or unlimited texting while in the US....so take that into consideration.
    That's true, I'm just mad because Telus agreed to "make an exception" and transfer my plan to the new network so I signed a 3 yearc ontract. The contract lists all my same features and makes no mention that I'll now be charged for US texting. Then to make matters worse I blocked receipt of texts but got charged anyway.

Also, its not a matter of the old network "allowing" free texts and the new network charges for them. Telus is free to charge or not charge for anything they want on both networks. Just like Telus told me the new network "doesn't allow" the old phone plans, only the new clear choice plans, but after a few mins of bickering they let me keep my old plan.

11-24-09 09:57 PM
    They'll have to pry my plan from my cold dead hands...

CDMA4LYFE!
    11-24-09 10:20 PM
    the new clear choice plans that arent so clear LOL
    11-24-09 11:43 PM
    That's true, I'm just mad because Telus agreed to "make an exception" and transfer my plan to the new network so I signed a 3 yearc ontract. The contract lists all my same features and makes no mention that I'll now be charged for US texting. Then to make matters worse I blocked receipt of texts but got charged anyway.

Also, its not a matter of the old network "allowing" free texts and the new network charges for them. Telus is free to charge or not charge for anything they want on both networks. Just like Telus told me the new network "doesn't allow" the old phone plans, only the new clear choice plans, but after a few mins of bickering they let me keep my old plan.

Understood, it does seem like an unfair practice to not make clients well aware of what charges they may incur. Worst part of it is they can only credit a maximum of $50, or so i've heard so even though the messages were not delivered, odds are they'll say well they were attempted to be delivered and blocked from your device which would entail they travelled to the US, apologies for the run on sentence but yea. Its BS.
    11-25-09 01:22 AM
    afaik, "blocking" texts in the firewall does NOT prevent receipt of text messages, it just prevents their being stored/displayed on your handheld device... so yes, you will get charged for them.
    11-25-09 09:14 AM
    afaik, "blocking" texts in the firewall does NOT prevent receipt of text messages, it just prevents their being stored/displayed on your handheld device... so yes, you will get charged for them.
    He's right. You must log onto your account using telusmobility.com there is an option in ecare where you can change if you receive text, web msg etc. This is the only way to prevent being charged for text messages. Its really only used for those without text plans.. and i guess the new HSPA network roaming...
    11-25-09 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD