I've been with Verizon for about 7 years and they haven't offered me ONE PENNY in discounts or perks....EVER.
    Do you wonder why? Life is very simple. You are treated the way you treat others. Sprint is a big company and I am just an individual, but we treat our contract with respect. In turn I give Sprint my repeated renewals and they get me extra perks.
    10-11-09 02:54 PM
    How about just know that most people are able to persuade verizon to give them an early upgrade with being polite, while agreeing to another 2 year contract. If you are over 1 year into a 2 year agreement you can do this. At 20 months you can even get your new every two.
    Switch to a non-data phone if you have one available before you go in just to sweeten the deal from vzw's perspective
    10-11-09 02:56 PM
    Read this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/ve...-early-334113/

There are many ways to get your Storm 2 without using legal loopholes and hoop jumping. Just use the annual upgrade program, that I would venture to say, most people in this forum don't know about (evidence from all these weird hoop jumping schemes).
    10-11-09 03:00 PM
    This is pretty much just exploitation.

You're not enacting this part of the contract because you have a genuine dislike of some change they made, but are simply doing it to fulfill your want of a new phone.

Now, if one actually has some issue with a change and uses this then its fine. You are simply telling people to abuse part of the contract for a personal want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 03:01 PM
    This is pretty much just exploitation.

You're not enacting this part of the contract because you have a genuine dislike of some change they made, but are simply doing it to fulfill your want of a new phone.

Now, if one actually has some issue with a change and uses this then its fine. You are simply telling people to abuse part of the contract for a personal want.

You can't "abuse" a contract! It was written by lawyers for the good of the company--not the customers. Apparently they had to abide by some provisions in the law that REQUIRE them to allow consumers an "out" if they change the rules mid-contract. Why can't you see that it's simply NUTS to expect consumers on contract to be suddenly given a new set of rules and to expect them to swallow that without recourse?
    10-11-09 03:04 PM
    I've been with Verizon for about 7 years and they haven't offered me ONE PENNY in discounts or perks....EVER.
    You still don't see why get nothing from Verizon.

Maybe next time you can pay a lawyer to write your next contract to present to Verizon.
    10-11-09 03:06 PM
    These posts are amusing as ****, as someone who worked for VZW in Care, I remebered plenty of people trying to pull this and I can tell you a raise in the Surcharges does not void out your contract.

Stop do not pass go, ETF would be valid! the only time the company ever released out customers from their ETF for a change in charges was when the per txt rate jumped from .10 to .20 and even then you had to been one of the few people without a txt plan to even be qualified for it.

If your one of the people who got the storm in Nov & Dec just chill and wait to your 1yr mark if your the primary on a FamShareplan or Solo and you maybe able to get a early upgrade for the normal 2yr pricing.
    10-11-09 03:10 PM
    IMO, abuse of a contract is when one uses its wording to their advantage but that really undermines its real purpose.

I completely agree that there needs to be an out for unhappy signers for when something is changed.

That's not the case here though. you're using the ability to opt out to get yourself a new phone. Not that you have a legit problem with a change Verizon made.

10-11-09 03:12 PM
    While I understand the point you are trying to make, which is that the VZW contract allows you to cancel when fees change, the reason for this is supposed to be that the fees are going to make your bill higher than you can afford.

The problem here is that your plan involves calling VZW and LYING TO THEM to get out of your contract. I wouldn't consider that to be "following the rules".

10-11-09 03:14 PM

I was all set to save over $45 a month for 2 cell phone's plans and home phone with T-Mobile, until I found out Android phones don't currently support BT voice dialing! ARRRGH!!
    As for your orginal respond to perks, Sprint HAS to do such "perks" becouse they are hemoraging customers and money left and right, **** they had to sell off their own towers to keep afloat.

As for VZW giving perks, if your a VIP customer you get 25% off accessories Half of your NE2 on annual upgrades. VZW is a very healthy profitable company and so many people tend to forget VZW is a FOR PROFIT company.

If you want a discount of your services see if your employeer has an agreement with VZW for their employees for discounts off monthly service.
    10-11-09 03:14 PM
    I agree with the op. That being said I I would not go through that much tribe to risk trying to make up the money on the next contracts. I think it is there if you need it by law not because vzw wants it there. There are loopholes to get out of all big contracts, to to a gym, by law of you move 50 miles away they just let you out(in NC). You have to be carefull because they have the right to refuse you or give you a big deposit. It is there but not worth it to me. If your a good customer call them they may give you some help getting the phone if your nice.

10-11-09 03:20 PM
    As for your $400 deposit, I'm not sure what you are talking about, I have been unable to find any mention of this in any of the VZW contracts.
    If you have bad credit and apply for a contract, You have to give them a cash deposit for a certain amount of time. Assuming that you stay up to date on your payments and don't cancel your contract, they will return the deposit to you on the date that they list. (In canada it is usually $200 for 6 months)

If you recently cancelled a contract with them, they will also require you to submit this deposit because you could be trying to scam them (i.e. getting an iphone, ending the contract, then selling it on ebay)
    10-11-09 03:23 PM
    i hate contracts :/ what happens if your broke or employed all of the sudden then you have to keep paying... i say this is useful if you are at the end of the row.
    10-11-09 03:25 PM
    As for your orginal respond to perks, Sprint HAS to do such "perks" becouse they are hemoraging customers and money left and right, **** they had to sell off their own towers to keep afloat.
    Your info is correct but I disagree with your interpretation.

Sprint, like any other businesses regardless of financial status, will go out of their way to retain good customers that are profitable to the business. They don't want to retain customers that are cost to them. Hence, the changes in the return policy of many retail businesses. Verizon is no difference, profitable or not.
    10-11-09 03:26 PM
    i hate contracts :/ what happens if your broke or employed all of the sudden then you have to keep paying... i say this is useful if you are at the end of the row.
    Then don't go with a contract plan. Go with a prepaid minute plan.
    10-11-09 03:29 PM
    You still don't see why get nothing from Verizon.

Maybe next time you can pay a lawyer to write your next contract to present to Verizon.
    i've been offered free 100 mins from verizon, i didn't do anything, they just called me and asked if i would like em
    10-11-09 03:50 PM
    ideas like this bring normally bring two thoughts to my mind:

1. One has to be a fool, in every sense of the word, to believe that a multi-billion dollar corporation, whose very existence is dependent on service contracts, would allow themselves to be "gamed" into letting you out of the contract, only to then not remember the "game" you played and let you back into a new contract where, when compared to the old, the only real change was that you went from an BB 8830 to a Storm 2...and of course, all without ETFs, automatic deposits, etc.

2. This is why I'm an advocate (in layman's terms, not out there marching and stuff lol) of unsubsidized phones as a sales practice within the US carriers. The subsidies have created, unintentionally I believe, a sense of entitlement where one's phone is no longer good enough when a new phone drops. I mean, that's the way technology goes...and I'm not going to knock a free market that allows new tech and the ability to attain it.

But the idea that phones, especially smartphones, are somehow different than televisions and computers, unsubsidized tech which, once purchased, allows you to get whatever service you like to make it work, seems archaic at this point. At the heart of these "games" is really a simple solution.

Oh, you bought the Storm 1 and you won't receive your next upgrade until, say, March or April of 2010. Cool. Either wait for the upgrade or save your pennies and buy it full retail (or discounted on eBay). And if you can't afford full retail, that only makes the "game" all the more foolish. That one would need a company to "go half" on your cell phone means you can't really afford it and, what's more, upholding your end of a legally binding contract seems like the smarter move than...well...playing "games."

...but whatever. I'll probably be called an elitist and pelted with multiple reasons as to why squeezing one's fat countenance through a relatively tiny loophole is a benefit to the individual. Dishonesty and moral obligation aside, games like this are bad business practices...and I'm referring to the consumer, not the company. Smarten up.

*goes back to laughing at the Broncos' throwback jerseys*
    10-11-09 04:00 PM
    To go to the lengths of lying to honest-working employees at VZW (or any company for that matter) just to get yourself a new TELEPHONE is beyond me. And yes you are lying to them because you said you could not pay these fees when in reality, $5 extra per month is really no big deal to you.

You're right, you are legally allowed to do this. However, companies know people pull these types of stunts, and everything comes at a cost. Lawyers think of EVERYTHING. Therefore, it's not so much a legal issue but more of a moral/ethical issue.

EDIT: Also, when you do get your ETF waived and you get your S2, let's say you wanna go back to VZW. The computers, unbelievably, RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION AND WHY YOU DISCONTINUED SERVICE WITH THEM. So if they know you discontinued due to some fee you couldn't pay, and then next week all the sudden you can pay it with the new contract you want to start, do you think they will not notice?

Wow, people like you really suck man.
    Last edited by DMR6186; 10-11-09 at 04:09 PM.
    10-11-09 04:06 PM
    To go to the lengths of lying to honest-working employees at VZW (or any company for that matter) just to get yourself a new TELEPHONE is beyond me. And yes you are lying to them because you said you could not pay these fees when in reality, $5 extra per month is really no big deal to you.

You're right, you are legally allowed to do this. However, companies know people pull these types of stunts, and everything comes at a cost. Lawyers think of EVERYTHING. Therefore, it's not so much a legal issue but more of a moral/ethical issue.

EDIT: Also, when you do get your ETF waived and you get your S2, let's say you wanna go back to VZW. The computers, unbelievably, RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION AND WHY YOU DISCONTINUED SERVICE WITH THEM. So if they know you discontinued due to some fee you couldn't pay, and then next week all the sudden you can pay it with the new contract you want to start, do you think they will not notice?

Wow, people like you really suck man.

I don't see how following their rules constitutes any sort of moral turpitude. They wouldn't even have any "outs" were it not that they are FORCED to by consumer protection laws! Verizon gives nothing away they don't have to. For gawds sakes, we can't even get GPS turn by turn without paying $10 extra a month. Sure the network is excellent, but they lock down their phones and don't offer the latest phones as soon as other carriers. I pay $131 / mo for 2 dumb phones and a MiFi. I don't use much of the 5GB per month and none of the excess rolls over. They are getting plenty of money from me for what little I use the phone for (less than 300 minutes a month, combined on 2 lines). I shed no tears for Verizon.
    10-11-09 04:18 PM
    That's not a reason to game any contract. What do you do at work. Your company doesn't pay you enough, therefore you are morally fine in stealing from the company.

You don't like Verizon pricing, switch carrier.
    10-11-09 04:21 PM
    Hello,

This is how I got out of mine. Afterwards told a friend and it worked for them no prolem.

OK so with Verzion I had a 2 year contract and I was about 9months into and I want a different phone my BB and I knew I was going to have problems....................

Before I even knew about this site I had my Irish family to ask questions to and it happen that my 15 year old nephew came up to me and said you do know you are under a contract with them. I said yes Alex I know this. He then went on to say that a contract is only as good as it was written on!!!!!!!!!!!

OK so he is a very very smart kid and a smart ***. I said what do you mean? he said that you are paying every month for something you signed in the store when they gave you the phone. I said yes Alex I know I signed the Damn contract that I readying now to try to find a way out..

Alex went on to ask me why I was looking for a why out? He said call the store that you bought the phone from and speak to somethere.. 'Me' Alex you know that stored closed months ago.. 'Alex' Wht does that mean? They are/were contractors for verizion and as such they had to turn in all there contracts to stay ineffect with verizion... 'ME' Ok so they shipped the contracts to verzion..'Alex' Laughing so loud he said are you kidding me.. That women lost that store because she was broke.You think she PAID to send all those contract back?

I did think for a min then I was on the phone with verizon and Alex on the other end next to me.. We told the rep we like to see my contract again and if they could just fax it right over I would be greatful..'REP' put us on hold for about 10mins she was looking 'having a cig' when she got back on she said I am having trouble finding it. She then said the store gave you a copy for your files...ALEX..Jumps right in and say my wife can't find her way home with out the built in GPS we have. He then said thank God for good old verizion. You guys are always on top of things. ..The rep had me speak to a SUP who let me out of the contract. She only asked that I send back the phone I was using?...........BIG mistake for the SUP. ALEX got back on and said why would she send you back something that you dont have a contract that she even signed for it?..... The SUP said I guess your right and have a great day..........

I am still with Verizon on a 2 year contract but I think in a few months I will Have ALEX ask to see that one..

PS>> It is not the job of the buyer to keep the contract. The buyer on gets a copy.You want the original one.
    10-11-09 05:02 PM
    I don't see how following their rules constitutes any sort of moral turpitude. They wouldn't even have any "outs" were it not that they are FORCED to by consumer protection laws! Verizon gives nothing away they don't have to. For gawds sakes, we can't even get GPS turn by turn without paying $10 extra a month. Sure the network is excellent, but they lock down their phones and don't offer the latest phones as soon as other carriers. I pay $131 / mo for 2 dumb phones and a MiFi. I don't use much of the 5GB per month and none of the excess rolls over. They are getting plenty of money from me for what little I use the phone for (less than 300 minutes a month, combined on 2 lines). I shed no tears for Verizon.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it Do you want to know why companies keep raising prices? Because they can, and most people will pay for it regardless of the change.

FACT: If people don't buy the services, they will lower the prices in order to draw people back into their business. Companies respond quite positively to people affecting their profits.

I guess you're one of those people that need everyone to be "fair" to you.
    10-11-09 05:03 PM
    Being smart doesn't make Alex morally right. And you are proud of what you did.

All the tyrants and big time criminals in the world are smarts too.
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-11-09 at 05:21 PM.
    10-11-09 05:10 PM
    Wait, first,

she got back on she said I am having trouble finding it.
    and then,

The rep had me speak to a SUP who let me out of the contract.
    I'm confused. How can they not find you in their computer system, and then let you out of a contract? That means you were in their computer system.

Also, when you sign up for a service, you are stored within an internal central database so that when you go anywhere in the country, any VZW store will be able to look you up in their systems.
    10-11-09 05:25 PM
    Scammer!

What you are doing is advocating to get out of a contract by looking for typo or loophole.
    the big guys do it everyday, and they write these contracts to try and lock people up as long as possible. i dont understand why this cant be done by average joe. big companies do scamming things, why the **** cant we? and were just abiding by THEIR contractual restrictions! its not like we were given the option too amend the contract so what is the big deal? i personally wouldn't try it, but i dont find it bad of anyone to give it a shot!
    10-11-09 05:27 PM
201 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD