I've heard there are ways that people somehow get their BBs replaced for free by their service provider....can anyone share any methods?

I know people call in the service line and complain about batteries, scratches, settings, etc.

My friend's battery broke and when she called in, Rogers said that for some reason they couldn't send her a new battery, so she ended up getting a new Curve. Her brother called in...I'd ask her how her brother did that, but he left for university.

Bottom line is: can anyone share their methods on how they've gotten a new phone for free? (Without a contract-extension)
    06-20-10 06:58 PM
    I don't think discussion based around "scamming" your provider into giving you a new device is very forum friendly.
    06-20-10 06:59 PM
    It's not scamming the provider. I am asking how people receive such things. It seems that every time I call for a problem, I get no results. I haven't had any problems with my Blackberry (knock on wood) but in the past I've never gotten a positive result.
    06-20-10 07:00 PM
    If you call your carrier with a device related issue, one that is not caused by an outside force or damage, and you are not getting any results you need to ask to speak to a supervisor.

You have to be stern with your carrier when you are having device related issues, they don't want to exchange everyones device just for fun. You also have to be able to articulate your issue that you are experiencing, so if you can't speak to the symptoms and what you have done to try to fix it, they will be more likely to brush it off.
    06-20-10 07:05 PM
    Well, I take very, very good care of my phones, so whenever it has an issue, I know for certain that it is not a result of misuse. I never dropped any of my phones in the past nor scratched/broken the screen or any part of it.

They just always seem to blame me for it, and so I posted this to see how others dealt with issues, and conveying them to the service provider.

In a personal matter, how did that girl get a new BB from inquiring about a battery? Surely it would be cheaper to send her a battery than a new BB?
    06-20-10 07:09 PM
    That could be the agreement the provider has with RIM, it varies by provider.
    06-20-10 07:11 PM
    So, how would I go about being "firm" towards the carrier about my issue?
    06-20-10 07:14 PM
    Depending on the issue, and how valid it is, you just explain to them that you have soft reset the device (battery pull) and if you have tried anything else.

Note - If you have not tried to correct the issue in any way, they will walk you through troubleshooting and ask you to complete a bunch of steps to determine OS or hardware issue.
    06-20-10 07:16 PM
    What's the difference in OS and Hardware issues?
    06-20-10 07:55 PM
    OS would be software issues. Some issues are resolved by OS updates as well as reloading the OS.

Some issues are hardware - can't be fixed, have to be replaced.
    06-20-10 07:57 PM
    So I'm assuming hardware issues would be what would be the cause of getting me a replacement?

What if it has a screen scratch that I am 99% sure came when I bought it? I bought it in December and before I even opened the box, I bought an Otterbox and immediately slipped it in. I didn't take off the screen protection portion until last week, and notice it had a little scratch on the screen.

The Otterbox do NOT allow for any kind of screen scratching, and I kept it on my phone all the time, with the hard shell, soft shell and screen protector. My friends all have the Otterbox and have no scratches, through dropping and crushing of phone, etc.
    06-20-10 08:06 PM
    Scratches - nope. They consider that physical damage, no matter how you think it got there.
    06-20-10 08:20 PM
    That's why I post the questions on how to get free Blackberries from my carrier; they don't help you at all.
    06-20-10 08:36 PM
    That's why I post the questions on how to get free Blackberries from my carrier; they don't help you at all.
    There is no reason they should help for something like they. They are there to make sure your device is functional, not looks pretty.

If you get a scratch, or drop it, you can replace the bezels and such on your own.

Check out Cellular Nationwide Network - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry, for a wide variety of replacement parts. The carrier is not in charge of the looks of the device.
    06-20-10 08:41 PM
    It's a little scratch starting from the black part of the upper screen and into the actual screen. Not big at all, it's a hairline scratch visible only when a certain color is portrayed.

Still, I didn't do it, and I would ideally want it to be repaired. But, the chances of them fixing are very slim.
    06-20-10 08:44 PM
    The chances are more realistic at none. Their argument will be you have your 30 day return policy and if you didn't take advantage of that, they have met all their requirements. They will not replace / fix a device because of a scratch.

Instead of twisting your head around this, go grab a screen protector, slap it on the screen and you won't even notice the scratch anymore.
    06-20-10 08:56 PM
    I already have one, as state I bought an Otterbox.
    06-20-10 09:13 PM
    A lot of what has been going on is Verizon replacing Tours with 9650 Bolds due to the trackball. It's more the carrier being nice.
    06-21-10 02:21 AM
    And because of scamming like that, carriers are starting to not just issue a replacement , they'll wait to get your device and try to get it fixed and return it to you. It's forcing corporation to keep a stock of spares.
    06-21-10 06:27 AM
    I bought a new BB one day and was in auto accident the next day. Both mine and my husband's were were unusable. The first agent I spoke with was unable to replace. I did call back a few days later and the agent offer to replace both BB's if we extended our contract. We did so because we would have been paying for service on something we couldn't use. I think carriers are more than willing to work with you when you have an issue that clearly affects the functional abililty to use your BB. As stated above you can order replacement parts from on-line vendors. You can find them by doing a web search for BlackBerrry screen replacement.
    06-21-10 07:10 AM
    Since the OP is from Rogers I moved the thread to the Rogers Forum.
    06-21-10 07:57 AM
    I've had my track ball lock up a few times on my 9000's , I've gotten refurbished bolds to replace them and sent the broken ones back. Now I'm out of warranty and my trackball went south . I called in and inquired about that new handset protection deal . they said they could give me a pink flip berry no charge to tide me over until my upgrade was available to me . That would be a major downgrade for me plus it's pink and I have heard of them having issues so I talked to retentions and got a 9700 for 99 and resigned for 3 more years .
    06-21-10 08:12 AM
    So, how would I go about being "firm" towards the carrier about my issue?
    Escalating promptly, when one does not get suitable response from carrier is one way.

s://RogersWatch.wordpress.com/Complaint
    might be helpful for ya.

HTH!
    06-21-10 08:19 AM
    I called in and inquired about that new handset protection deal .
    More info on that 'handset protection deal':
    rogers.com/Protection
    06-21-10 08:23 AM
    the speaker phone on my 9700 stopped working i called cs they asked if i had tried to troubleshoot. told them i tried two different os builds no joy so they said they'd send me a new one. I got the first one in novmeber an had no reason to call cs till now
    06-22-10 09:31 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD