I have an everything data plan and just got mail from Sprint telling me I qualified for Sprint Premier, which allows me to upgrade my phone at discount pricing every year. It will be 1 year in December and I'm really liking the Pixi as a potential replacement for my Pearl (Sorry to disappoint all the BB fans). When I upgrade the phone will I have to tack another year onto my contract? My contract ends 12/1/2010. 12/1/2009 will be the 1-year mark. After I upgrade when will the new contract end be, 12/1/2011 or 12/1/2010?

Also I qualify for an employee discount but I could potentially be leaving my job that entitles me to the discount. Will Sprint re-check that I work for that employer when I upgrade my phone? Also, what happens if I quit my job, will the contract price go up? The Sprint reps told me it wouldn't but I don't want to get screwed over if it does... Any experiences with this?
    10-14-09 10:29 AM
    you get the new customer pricing but you will extend you contract for another 2 years. as for the discount you wont lose that unless you call sprint and tell them that you dont work for that company anymore. You get to keep that discount until you tell them otherwise. Now if you go to work for a company that gets a better discount i would call them and get that discount applied.
    10-14-09 10:36 AM
    you get the new customer pricing but you will extend you contract for another 2 years. as for the discount you wont lose that unless you call sprint and tell them that you dont work for that company anymore. You get to keep that discount until you tell them otherwise. Now if you go to work for a company that gets a better discount i would call them and get that discount applied.
    So if my contract runs through Dec 2010 and I upgrade the phone, the contract would be extended 2 years plus the additional 1 year left on the first contract? In other words, it would be extended to Dec 2012?
    10-14-09 11:26 AM
    I think it's 2 years from when you renew. Basically, you're getting the 2 year upgrade price for a 1 year renewal (because you're already 1 year in). If your plan ended 12/2010, and you upgraded 12/2009, your new renewal date would be 12/2011. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just can't see Sprint tagging an extra 2 years on top of an existing contract. No one with Premier Status would upgrade.
    10-14-09 12:09 PM
    I think it's 2 years from when you renew. Basically, you're getting the 2 year upgrade price for a 1 year renewal (because you're already 1 year in). If your plan ended 12/2010, and you upgraded 12/2009, your new renewal date would be 12/2011. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just can't see Sprint tagging an extra 2 years on top of an existing contract. No one with Premier Status would upgrade.
    Pretty sure you are correct Arcadence...from the time of upgrade your contract would start again, another new 2 year contract.
    10-14-09 08:09 PM
    You are correct, when I upgraded to the Tour, it extended my contract 2 years from the date I upgraded, not 2 years tacked on to the end of the old contract date.
    10-15-09 02:23 AM
    Above statements are correct. A new 2year agreement is brand new, not added to your previous contract. And as a Premier account, throughout the year you will get money off towards a upgrade, up to $150.
    10-15-09 10:58 AM
    If you don't want to renew with a two year contract, I think you can get an upgrade with 75 dollars off instead of the 150 dollar new contract pricing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 05:29 PM
    going with the 75 will hypotheically extend out another year.
    10-16-09 08:50 AM
    I just stopped by a Sprint booth today and the rep told me I would be eligible for the new customer pricing on a phone and would NOT have to add another year to my contract. (IE I get the "new" customer price on a phone, and my 2 year contract will still have 1 year left (as I am halfway done with it)). This seems contradictory to what everyone else said. Was the rep mistaken?
    11-21-09 05:09 PM
    I just stopped by a Sprint booth today and the rep told me I would be eligible for the new customer pricing on a phone and would NOT have to add another year to my contract. (IE I get the "new" customer price on a phone, and my 2 year contract will still have 1 year left (as I am halfway done with it)). This seems contradictory to what everyone else said. Was the rep mistaken?
    You have obviously spoken with a rep that doesn't know much. I typically upgrade my phone each year, you're basically adding 1 year to your existing contract. Up in 12/2010, buy a new phone no up 12/2011 or two years from the date you take advantage of the upgrade.
    11-21-09 05:17 PM
    You are right, ERDude. I just chatted with a Sprint rep online and they said that I would add 1 year onto my contract to upgrade at "new" customer pricing. The rep I talked to at the shopping mall store didn't seem to understand what I was asking or he didn't know.
    11-21-09 05:36 PM
    On a follow up question: Can I upgrade my phone at Best Buy or another online competitor that offers a lower price than the Sprint store, or do I need to go through Sprint since this is not a new activation?
    11-21-09 08:21 PM
    I believe that you can upgrade through an authorized retailer if I'm not mistaken. Just make sure to read the "fine print" if you do decide to go with a Best Buy or some other place like that.
    11-21-09 11:15 PM
    On a follow up question: Can I upgrade my phone at Best Buy or another online competitor that offers a lower price than the Sprint store, or do I need to go through Sprint since this is not a new activation?
    You can do it through Best Buy because they can log into Sprint's system.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 11:23 PM
    Pete you can upgrade from any of the retailers. I just upgraded from the Tour to the Hero through Best Buy, upside no mail in rebates, downside is the definitely charge you the activation fee.
    11-22-09 07:32 AM
    Pete you can upgrade from any of the retailers. I just upgraded from the Tour to the Hero through Best Buy, upside no mail in rebates, downside is the definitely charge you the activation fee.
    When I upgraded through Best Buy the activation fee showed up on my bill but Sprint credited it back to my account.
    11-22-09 10:07 AM
    When I upgraded through Best Buy the activation fee showed up on my bill but Sprint credited it back to my account.
    Lucky you, Sprint wouldn't do it for me. But I did go back to BB and get my $50 back when they dropped the price. So it all worked out.
    11-22-09 10:30 AM
    Lucky you, Sprint wouldn't do it for me. But I did go back to BB and get my $50 back when they dropped the price. So it all worked out.
    I didn't even ask them to do it. It showed up on my bill as "Device Upgrade Activation Fee" for $18. On the next line of the bill there is a "Device Upgrade Activation Fee Credit" for -$18.

On top of that I got two price adjustments at Best Buy. I'm a Premier Silver member of their Reward Zone so I get 45 days for returns, exchanges and price adjustments. I paid $79.99 for my BB and a couple weeks later it dropped at Best Buy to $19.99 so I went back for my $60. Two weeks later it dropped to free so I went back to Best Buy and got back another $20.
    11-22-09 02:01 PM
    A word of warning for those buying from Sprint. As a Premier member you are eligible for an upgrade after 11 months. However, in the fine print, you are not eligible for the rebate unless you have the handset for 12 months. Sprint rejected my rebate, but I got Sprint to honor the rebate after complaining that I could have bought it from a retailer and would have received an instant rebate, but purchased it from Sprint to support them. Well they approved my rebate.
    11-22-09 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD