How does Sprint know if a number I call or a number that calls me is a mobile phone especially if the phone is not on the Sprint Network?
    Is there a database of ALL mobile phones?
    Is there some behind the scenes handshaking going on that is unique to mobile phones?
    It's an question I've had for a while and would be interested in how it works.
    It can't be by area code and prefix because a mobile phone can have a ported POTS line number as well.
    Tnx,
    J
    05-27-10 11:10 AM
    I'm not sure how they know, I'm just glad they have this offer. With four phones on a shared plan, we never go over our minutes....it's great.
    05-27-10 12:13 PM
    here's what they say:

Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using indep. 3rd party and Sprint databases.
    05-27-10 01:06 PM
    Thanks much.
    05-27-10 01:20 PM
    I believe it has to do with the computerized switches being service provider specific, as opposed to location specific (or switch specific as they used to be). Since the service providers now communicate digitally they would know which provider the call originated from regardless of the area code or prefix numbers. Interesting questing - I'd like to know for sure as well.
    05-27-10 01:29 PM
    Wireless numbers have unique prefixes in every area code, a ported number may require verification. I have several friends that use Vonage to forward their number to a mobile phone and these are considered land line calls so far as I can tell. One friend calls me with his mobile number on caller ID but asks me to call his main number when call him.

99% of the wireless calls are very easy for a carrier to determine, it is that one percent that may be an issue. If you have a concern about charges call and ask for clarification.

Steve
    05-27-10 01:29 PM
    No concerns just curiosity.
    05-27-10 01:33 PM
    How does Sprint know if a number I call or a number that calls me is a mobile phone especially if the phone is not on the Sprint Network?
    Is there a database of ALL mobile phones?
    Yes, there is.
    05-27-10 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD