I'VE BEEN TOLD THE BB 8310 HAS THE CAPABILITY TO CONNECT TO A LAPTOP TO OBTAIN INTERNET SERVICE WITHOUT A WIRELESS CARD? IF THIS IS TRUE...THEN ARE THERE ANY CONNECTION FEES FOR USAGE OR DATA CHARGES? IF ANYONE KNOWS TO HOW SET THIS UP PLEASE HELP ME!!! iVE BEEN LOOKING FOR INFO ON THIS FEATURE SINCE IM ALREDY PAYING THE $40 BUCKS FOR THE PLAN ON ATT TY
    02-14-08 09:30 PM
    I was under the impression that AT&T's tethered modem plan was over $70 rather than $40.
    02-15-08 01:30 PM
    Sunshyn is correct. Tethering with AT&T is $70/mo.(last time I checked) That's over & above BB unlimited plan. It's actually cheaper to buy an aircard for a laptop and pay $60/mo.
    02-15-08 01:47 PM
    Was wondering abt the topic. Tedther Modum.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-08 02:05 PM
    To tether your BB to a computer for surfing the internet is $65.00 a month. They have several different pricing schemes depending on if its personal or business. I setup a package for a guy the other day over the phone.
    03-02-08 10:38 PM
    To tether your BB to a computer for surfing the internet is $65.00 a month. They have several different pricing schemes depending on if its personal or business. I setup a package for a guy the other day over the phone.
    What are the bandwidth usage limits before extra fees kick in? I thought about possibly going this route since Verizon is too cheap to bring DSL another mile to reach me.
    03-04-08 07:34 PM
    What are the bandwidth usage limits before extra fees kick in? I thought about possibly going this route since Verizon is too cheap to bring DSL another mile to reach me.
    I believe it is at 5GB/ month. They say they have plans for higher usage but to be honest it isn't so fast you would want to do just a ton of downloading unless it is your only option.
    03-05-08 11:51 AM
    Tethering with AT&T is $60 a month and is unlimited usage, however I am sure there are ways around it but be careful, if they find out they will shut off your service.
    04-24-08 06:34 PM
    Trying to get back to the specifc subject.....is there someplace that explains how to set this up?

Thanks,

-Bruce
    04-24-08 07:10 PM
    Got it to work with these instructions from my carrier.

-Bruce

-----------
    Prerequisite

RIM BlackBerry Curve handset purchased from AT&T

PC with an available USB port

BlackBerry Desktop Software installed from accompanying CD. If the CD is not available, download the most recent version of BlackBerry Desktop Software from blackberry.net/products/software/desktop>.

User should be logged in as Administrator or have administrative privileges in the profile to modify system files

Setting up the modem

1. On the PC, connect the USB cable from the USB port to the side of the handset.
    2. Windows will detect the handset and install the drivers.
    3. Double click the Desktop Manager icon.
    4. Click Options and then Connection Settings.
    5. Click Detect.
    6. When the Warning dialog box appears, click OK.
    7. The dialog box should display: USB handheld found, then click OK.
    8. Ensure that the Connection field displays USB-PIN: and click OK.
    9. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click the Phone and Modem Options icon.
    10. Click the Modems tab.
    11. Click once on the Standard Modem and click Properties.
    12. Click the Advanced tab.
    13. Type at+cgdcont=1,�IP�,�isp.cingular� in the Extra initialization commands field.
    14. Click OK twice to complete the setup.

Setting up the connection

1. On the PC, click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click Network Connections.
    2. Click the link to Create a new connection.
    3. This will open a New Connection Wizard. Click Next to begin the setup.
    4. Click to select Connect to the Internet.
    5. Click Next.
    6. Click to select Set up my connection manually.
    7. Click Next.
    8. Click to select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    9. Click Next.
    10. Check the box to select the Standard Modem.
    11. Ensure it is the only modem checked and click Next.
    12. Type AT&T Data for the ISP Name and click Next.
    13. Type *99# for the Phone number.
    14. Click Next.
    15. If prompted, click to select whether to make this connection available for Anyone�s use, or My use only.
    16. Click Next.
    17. Type [email protected] in the User name field.
    18. Type CINGULAR1 in the Password and Confirm password fields.
    19. Tick to select from the available options below and click Next.
    20. Click Finish to complete the setup.

Making the connection

1. On the PC, return to the Network Connections folder and double click the AT&T Data icon.
    2. Ensure the Dial field reads *99#.
    3. Click Dial.

You will now be connected to the AT&T Data service.
    04-30-08 12:17 AM
    Blackberry tether plans are now $60 a month; but also remember that the 8310 uses the EDGE network so is not 3G If your current plan does not include text messaging (I think it may include 1500 sms) for $40 month you should call and get it updated the new BB data plans are $30 month.
    04-30-08 08:21 AM
    Blackberry tether plans are now $60 a month; but also remember that the 8310 uses the EDGE network so is not 3G If your current plan does not include text messaging (I think it may include 1500 sms) for $40 month you should call and get it updated the new BB data plans are $30 month.
    My BB is paid for by my company. Adding the tethered option costs an extra $10/m for up to 5GB. It is slow, but it works. I have had a cellular card for awhile that costs about $45/m. I'm on call often and have it so I can connect from near anywhere. I'm going to try using the tethered BB for a month or so and see if I'm willing to give the cell card to save $35.
    04-30-08 11:41 PM
    Got it to work with these instructions from my carrier.

-Bruce

-----------
    Prerequisite

RIM BlackBerry Curve handset purchased from AT&T

PC with an available USB port

BlackBerry Desktop Software installed from accompanying CD. If the CD is not available, download the most recent version of BlackBerry Desktop Software from blackberry.net/products/software/desktop>.

User should be logged in as Administrator or have administrative privileges in the profile to modify system files

Setting up the modem

1. On the PC, connect the USB cable from the USB port to the side of the handset.
    2. Windows will detect the handset and install the drivers.
    3. Double click the Desktop Manager icon.
    4. Click Options and then Connection Settings.
    5. Click Detect.
    6. When the Warning dialog box appears, click OK.
    7. The dialog box should display: USB handheld found, then click OK.
    8. Ensure that the Connection field displays USB-PIN: and click OK.
    9. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click the Phone and Modem Options icon.
    10. Click the Modems tab.
    11. Click once on the Standard Modem and click Properties.
    12. Click the Advanced tab.
    13. Type at+cgdcont=1,�IP�,�isp.cingular� in the Extra initialization commands field.
    14. Click OK twice to complete the setup.

Setting up the connection

1. On the PC, click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then double click Network Connections.
    2. Click the link to Create a new connection.
    3. This will open a New Connection Wizard. Click Next to begin the setup.
    4. Click to select Connect to the Internet.
    5. Click Next.
    6. Click to select Set up my connection manually.
    7. Click Next.
    8. Click to select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    9. Click Next.
    10. Check the box to select the Standard Modem.
    11. Ensure it is the only modem checked and click Next.
    12. Type AT&T Data for the ISP Name and click Next.
    13. Type *99# for the Phone number.
    14. Click Next.
    15. If prompted, click to select whether to make this connection available for Anyone�s use, or My use only.
    16. Click Next.
    17. Type [email protected] in the User name field.
    18. Type CINGULAR1 in the Password and Confirm password fields.
    19. Tick to select from the available options below and click Next.
    20. Click Finish to complete the setup.

Making the connection

1. On the PC, return to the Network Connections folder and double click the AT&T Data icon.
    2. Ensure the Dial field reads *99#.
    3. Click Dial.

You will now be connected to the AT&T Data service.
    Actually, your best bet: If you have the required tethering plan you can just download AT&T Communication Manager or often referred to as ACM from our website, no long drawn out settings needed. Also I have seen plenty of instances where the above method does not work. ACM has all the information needed to connect to our network with any tethering-capable device or laptop card and therefor is quite quick.
    05-23-08 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD