Hello, I wanted to start a discussion on tethering
    So I have the classic on tmobile and have and pay for seven gigs of tethering tmobile has a cap on how much you can use so if you hit seven gigs they redirect you to the tmobile upsale page. I've looked at ways to bypass this as I am in school and have no home Internet I've found easy tether to be useful but it stops working so anyway anyone here have any questions or experience using tethering? Sorry for the long post ha

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 12:03 AM
    There was an app called tether for older blackberries. Maybe u can add a hotspot for $10 a month

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 12:40 AM
    I have the same 7g Tethering /Hotspot plan on my daily driver (Z10). I've paid for it for quite a while without ever using it. Just recently (about 4 months) I've been using it a lot daily via regular USB while out in the field for certain projects. I've never experienced being sent to a page to update the data since sometimes when I get close I receive a text message warning. But I do have 5gb on my backup device (Q10) so I'll hop on that just to be safe. The thing is, Magenta doesn't allow sharing of the data on these plans so I do it that way. I can work until my fingers fall off with my Z, but my Q sputters out after some continuous use and I have to always slide the toggle back to on. It works again, but whatever I was doing gets interrupted. I think it may be related to Link but not sure.

All in all I've gotten very good use of of it. I've only used HotSpot once or twice to show some co-workers who use other platforms that BlackBerry does indeed do this, but I don't need it really myself.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 04:33 AM
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers

Apparent Easy Tether still exists. It is interesting that it needs drivers on the tethered device. Even linux.

Obviously you are violating your terms of service with T-mobile. I guess the question is can this be detected. In my opinion, bits are bits. But i don't make the rules.

It would be an interesting experiment to port sniff with Wireshark the stock and custom tethering schemes to see how they differ.

The next time I tether, I'm going to run the Signal app to see the name of the network that is created when tethering. The network name is probably how the data is tagged for going to the usb port.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 03:36 PM
    Hmmm makes sense I have easy tether and have yet to get it working I've tried everything changed dns everything can't get it to work I've even emailed the help they have and they are good at getting back to me but arnt much help lol I wonder yeah Wireshark Hmmm
    Wonder I'd I can mess with my apn I can get to settings I just don't know how to proceed I'm on tmobile btw

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 08:12 PM
    If you have any of the apps that give you shell access, you can run ifconfig. But the Signal app is just as good in identifying the names of the connections.

I now think I am wrong about Wireshark. You would need to sniff the packets leaving the phone. Wireshark would just sniff the ethernet on the PC. You could try and see if msm0 sniffing is an option.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 09:13 PM