Has anybody successfully used a non-Rogers or non-Fido Wi-Fi enabled device (preferably a BB) to access the HZ/Uno service? I am hoping to get a T-Mobile 8320 or Bold to work without paying Ted more than he deserves.

Has anybody actually got a 'foreign' phone to work with this system?

Thanks in advance.

a pending Crackberry addict...
    07-09-08 04:58 PM
    I bought a Rogers locked 8120 directly from RIM and it won't even work. RIM advises that UMA is only available on Rogers/Fido branded phones purchased from a Rogers or Fido store/authorized dealer. I have no idea why mine won't work. It does not seem to have UMA in it at all. Even after installing the latest Rogers 8120 firmware, still no dice. I would really like to be able to use UMA with my Rogers locked 8120 but unless someone can figure out what the difference is between the ones RIM sold and the ones Rogers sells, I am out of luck.
    07-10-08 10:42 AM
    this is very sad but true.. for what i understood the bold should not be working with their uma system... a shame!!!! i just dont get it!

i think they are coded/locked for uma network. Now since they have the 8120 i m quite sure that if you get their Rogers OS for the 8120 it will work without problem mhaven 98....

i have the 8320, i dont need right now the uma but thinking about it.....so far i m quite sure that the 8320 wont work however it depends of rogers, i wont be surprised if they realise the 8320 soon.. then i will have to change the os for a rogers os to make it work i guess

i think rogers is losing money on that . all wifi devices from rogers or not , as long as you have an account with rogers, should be able to take this service if you have an enable wifi device....DO I MAKE SENS?

ps: welcome both of you to CB
    Last edited by FaBerry; 07-10-08 at 10:00 PM.
    07-10-08 09:57 PM
    this is very sad but true.. for what i understood the bold should not be working with their uma system... a shame!!!! i just dont get it!

i think they are coded/locked for uma network. Now since they have the 8120 i m quite sure that if you get their Rogers OS for the 8120 it will work without problem mhaven 98....
    Unfortunately no. The 8120 was purchased from RIM directly in May. There is no UMA ability whatsoever. I confirmed this with RIM. Something in the Rogers 8120 is different and it will not work without that something. I did indeed download and install the Rogers OS and I still do not have UMA. It is not listed in the Wifi advanced diagnostics as an option and nowhere to be found. I am able to use Wifi for everything else though. I really would like to know what makes the Rogers locked 8120 that I bought from RIM different than the Rogers locked/branded one from Rogers. I have been trying to figure out a way to get this to work for several weeks now and I think I am about to give up. Maybe someone will figure out how to enable this "hidden" feature or maybe it is something in the firmware that is different?
    07-11-08 11:37 AM
    Rogers sucks big time!!!

what make them to lock it?

very simple, they want you to buy at their place and not unlock phones... if you buy with them they push you to take their 3 years contract, they get more money etc..... so i guess they have a serial number like the pin for each device and they are all registered in their data base , so no way to make it work.. like the iphone.. you can get an iphone from what ever country you want, but you will have to take a plan with then, otherwise it wont work at all.... ridiculus....

i think this practice is not acceptable, i which we can have more competition in canada regarding the gsm network!!!!
    Last edited by FaBerry; 07-11-08 at 07:43 PM.
    07-11-08 07:39 PM
    There`s a thread on HoFo that caught my interest and is related to this...

Click here

Treatz works for Rogers, in his post he says "Try flashing to the ROGERS 8120 SW. Download from blackberry.com. This will enable wifi calling but block surfing." I wonder if you take the files from Rogers 8120 firmware & copy them over to an 8320 firmware would it work?

The files I`m talking about changing are under:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8320-v4.5.0.46_P2.7.0.63\Java and begin with:net_rim_wlan_bb_*

Only problem is as yet there is no linky`s to download 8120 FW files for Rogers as the phones come pre-loaded.
    07-13-08 02:30 PM
    Just a follow up to my previous post...

I found this post on CB Link

Perhaps someone with a Rogers branded & bought with UMA enabled could provide us with links to the certificates?
    07-13-08 02:36 PM
    hopefully we will found a solution but so far everybody keep telling me it s impossible to do it or some how hack it
    07-13-08 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD