My blackberry is toast it got wet so its out of warranty. I am wondering what is bells policy about wet phones do they replace them at a certain cost or new phone price. I don't have the foolish 7 dollar insurance because the phone was purchased off bells website. Am i able to purchase a unlocked blackberry or bell blackberry off ebay and transfer it to that phone. From what i read that bell uses cdma network not gsm. So do i need a unlocked cdma blackberry then get them to transfer if thats possible. It would be greatly appricated if some one could shed some light on this issue
    12-01-09 01:33 AM
    CDMA devices don't 'unlock', you would need to purchase a used Bell device. And yes, you could activate a suitable replacement.

Getting a replacement without the 'silly' insurance, probably not gonna happen. They're gonna get their money, one way, or another.

Have you attempted to dry out the device, or did you try and turn it on after it got wet? Often, pulling the battery out, leave the back off and putting the device in a baggie with uncooked rice can draw the moisture out in 24-48 hours.

If you haven't fried it, there is a chance for salvage first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-01-09 at 01:44 AM.
    12-01-09 01:40 AM
    Well this has been going on for about a month now and and the phone is completely dry. If i leave the battery out for extended amount of time like 12hrs then put it in it works fine from any where 1hr-to-6hrs. I got them to send it in they didn't find any issues with it for that reason cause it took a few days to get to where ever they send it. So it appeared to have no issues so they sent it back. After a day it stopped working the keypad/all the buttons don't work except the scroll ball but it wont select anything. What happend is i left my phone on a table some one spilled beer and it splashed it. The moisture sticker on the back on the phone isn't set off but i do believe there is a sticker behind the scroll ball set off. I just want to know what to do do i got buy a new phone will they fix it and charge me the cost. Or do i go out and buy a bell phone on ebay and get it switched or am i better off suffering the cost and getting a new one at one of the retail stores and get a 7 dollar insurance. I am just completely exhausted at the whole situation not having a phone for a month dealing with customer service ( I dont even know how they can get away with it being called that )
    12-01-09 01:59 AM
    Hey,
    ****ty situation to be in man. Its true that u cant unlock CDMA phones to use on bell so you would have to grab a bell one .. whether it be from the store or kijiji, ebay, ect. HOWEVER, bell has launched its new HSPA network meaning you can bring in an unlocked HSPA phone thats compatible with our new network. Theres a couple of ways to find this out. There's a compatibility tool on www.bell.ca , you can take the device into a store and they would be able to tell you if it is. So if u can find like a Blackberry bold or a 9700 or something then u can use it on our network for sure. Hope this helped man!

Good Luck,
    Ahmed
    12-02-09 06:20 AM
    If you are interested and near the GTA, I have my Tour still that I am not using.

Contact via email please.

Cheers,
    Andy
    12-02-09 12:27 PM
    Thanks for the information. Sorry I'm from Nova Scotia now if i only was up there working like 2 months ago I would of been interested in the tour. I'm keeping my an eye on kijiji and ebay for bell phones. I know some people that work at bell so i guess that's good to check esn's. I'm going to be patient about this getting used to not having a phone it was a hard 3 weeks but its getting better lol. I'm not diverse in knowledge of blackberry's whats the difference from a tour,bold,curve.
    12-02-09 05:04 PM
    I might be geting a black berry bold 9000. I checked the coverage thing on bell.ca says bb bold 9000 is hspa phone. So if i unlock the phone and use a sim card i can use this phone and have all my services from my old bb curve bb data plan?
    12-03-09 05:02 PM
    You got it! All you need is an unlocked 9000 and pick up a Bell SIM card for $5 at any store. Pop it in and you are rolling!
    12-04-09 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD