Hello... I have a 5 or 6 year old Blackberry Bold 9900 Touch... I'm currently with T-Mobile and I may be moving across the country soon and to an area that will not have good coverage with T-Mobile. I recalled reading years ago that T-Mobile & AT&T use the same network (I forget the correct technical term for this). What I would like to know is can I keep my current Blackberry phone (originally purchased through T-Mobile) and simply switch carriers to AT&T?

What do I need to do to accomplish this? Is it simply a matter of getting a new SIM Card from AT&T and that's it?

Forgive me but it's been a long time since I have read up on anything cell phone related. Thank you in advance for your assitance...
    11-19-16 06:47 PM
    Both T-Mobile USA and AT&T use GSM (the technical term you were looking for). For you to use the 9900 on AT&T, you would need to:

1. make sure your 9900 is network unlocked so that you can insert an AT&T SIM and have it work. For this, you would need to call T-Mobile Customer Service and ask them for an unlock code. Since you've been a long time customer, they should have no problem giving it to you. If they ask why, you can just say you want the unlock because you'll be traveling overseas and want to use cheap SIM's.
    2. make sure AT&T still supports BIS, BlackBerry Internet Services. For this, contact AT&T.
    Uzi and wolfgaze like this.
    11-19-16 07:01 PM
    Thank you for the detailed response, I appreciate it.... Seemsthat such a switch between providers is more complicated than I had hoped for haha...

After I made this thread I found a coverage map for T-Mobile service and it turns out that there is and should be 4G coverage in the town that I'm planning on moving to - so that's good news... If I get there and it turns out the service isn't great - well then I think it's just time for me to bite the bullet and get a new cell phone... This one has served me well for over 5 years....
    11-23-16 04:05 AM
    It's not really that complicated, just two steps. The first is to allow your 9900 to be used with /any/ SIM. Unlocking with T-Mobile takes about a week or less and it's worthwhile to do anyway. The second is to make sure AT&T will still support your 9900.

Good luck to you, in your new town and with mobile service!
    11-23-16 04:16 AM
    You can request unlock code via your T-Mobile online account.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-16 08:13 AM