I've read that people on other carriers, who have been customers of that carrier for a while, have called them and asked if they could bump their upgrade date ahead a few months, and that they did that.

Has anyone been able to do that with AT&T? My upgrade date is in February, and I don't want to wait that long for the 9700. Didn't know if it's worth a shot calling them for this or not.
    10-25-09 08:41 PM
    It can never hurt...heck, it probably wouldn't hurt to call again if you get shot down the first time!
    10-25-09 08:42 PM
    I know, right?

I didn't know if I should call them to ask, or go into a local store and ask a manager.

Or both!
    10-25-09 08:43 PM
    I didn't know if I should call them to ask, or go into a local store and ask a manager.
    Anyone got any input on this?
    10-25-09 08:58 PM
    Go to an at&t store where they are more sales oriented and flexible. If there is any wiggle room at all on your upgrade date they will be able to help you. It has always worked for me when I've wanted an earlier upgrade.
    10-25-09 09:35 PM
    My AT&T store has told me that they'll let me upgrade for free if I'm 16 months into my 24 month/2 year contract, and they'll let me upgrade with a $75 fee if I'm like 8 months to a year in, or something along those lines. Call your AT&T store or go in and see a manager and ask if they'll bump it up for you.
    10-26-09 01:00 AM
    AT&T stores are not authorized to make early upgrades, unless the policy changed recently. Only Customer Care can do that.
    10-26-09 11:20 AM
    AT&T stores are not authorized to make early upgrades, unless the policy changed recently. Only Customer Care can do that.
    That's what I always understood too!
    10-26-09 03:45 PM
    And I am assuming that Customer Care is via a phone call?
    10-27-09 10:59 AM
    call ATT the best they can offer is upgrading the phone at a one year price. just add 75 to the price, however still includes rebates. It is called the inclusion plan i believe. You have to talk to someone higher up, the standard operates usually dont know about it. Ultimatly you upgrade at the one year price, and it still is the 2year committment. Best you can do, unless you really complain hah
    10-27-09 11:44 AM
    My contract date is May 2010 so I shouldn't qualify for an upgrade until March 2010, usually 2 months prior to the contract date, but when I called to check on it, they said I can upgrade my phone this month but the 2nd phone in March. I don't know why this happened but it did.
    10-27-09 01:35 PM
    OP: If you do call CS, post back here and let us know how it works. I've been jonesing for a new phone.
    10-27-09 03:52 PM
    OP: If you do call CS, post back here and let us know how it works. I've been jonesing for a new phone.
    I don't plan on calling them any time soon, but I definitely will let you know what happens.

My contract is up in a few months, and I planned on seeing if I could upgrade early for the 9700. I'm not going to pre-emptively give them a call for a phone that hasn't been released yet =]
    10-27-09 04:16 PM
    My contract wasn't due for renewal until June of next year, but I have had one phone (wife's LG Shine) replaced 4 times and my Curve replaced 5 times due to various issues. The last straw was when a replacement phone was mailed to my wife and it didn't work straight out of the box.

On the way to the retail store to purchase another brand so my wife had a phone, I was on the line with ATT. Told the rep I didn't appreciate being forced to purchase a phone at full retail price because of the situation.

The rep spoke with his supervisor and said that if we agreed to a new 2 year contract, they would offer any phone for the full discounted price for her line. Then he went another step further and said that he noticed in our account notes that I had had 4 Curves in 15 months, and offered me the same deal for my line. I told him that it was a nice offer, but that I would still have out of pocket expenses of $300.00 that I wouldn't have to spend if the darn phones worked correctly, so I asked him if he could help out more by crediting my account $30.00 a month for 6 months, like U-Verse did for some service issues I had a while back.

He put me on hold and returned about 5 minutes later and said that due to their billing procedures, that he couldn't initiate a monthly credit, but would due a one time $180 credit which would show up on my bill the following cycle.

Bottom line. Paid $99.95 for a Samsung Eternity for the wife and mailed in a $50.00 rebate. Paid $199.95 for a Bold and mailed in a $100.00 rebate.

Received the rebates a couple weeks ago, so only paid $149.90 for both phones, and along with the $180.00 credit, ended up on the plus side by $30.

We've had the new phones since the end of August, and so far no problems with either of them...knock on wood!!!
    10-28-09 09:01 AM
    It is possible to get an early upgrade, AKAIK its based on your history with the company and the rep you get.

I had a customer who was from out of town visiting, broke his phone (looked like a mack truck ran over it) and he called, told his story and they let him do it "as a one time courtesy for you being a loyal customer."

But it's not commonplace.
    10-28-09 09:25 AM
    I am with ATT. When I got my first bb, I was able to upgrade a couple of months early. I was in a retail store, and they didn't even ask any questions. I am from a small town so I am sure that helps. However, when I got my bold, I was in Houston. According to the online account, I had to wait until August. When I went to the retail store in June, they pulled up my account, and I was on a month to month which is what happens after the 2 year contract is up. On the rep's screen, it showed I was not eligible for an upgrade for a couple of months. He allowed my upgrade and the only thing they had to do was have the store manager approve.

In my experiences and from what I have read other places, you can get an early upgrade, depending on your status with the carrier and in a retail store. I don't believe the little kiosks and places like Best Buy can override the upgrade date.
    10-28-09 12:46 PM
    My contract wasn't due for renewal until June of next year, but I have had one phone (wife's LG Shine) replaced 4 times and my Curve replaced 5 times due to various issues. The last straw was when a replacement phone was mailed to my wife and it didn't work straight out of the box.

On the way to the retail store to purchase another brand so my wife had a phone, I was on the line with ATT. Told the rep I didn't appreciate being forced to purchase a phone at full retail price because of the situation.

The rep spoke with his supervisor and said that if we agreed to a new 2 year contract, they would offer any phone for the full discounted price for her line. Then he went another step further and said that he noticed in our account notes that I had had 4 Curves in 15 months, and offered me the same deal for my line. I told him that it was a nice offer, but that I would still have out of pocket expenses of $300.00 that I wouldn't have to spend if the darn phones worked correctly, so I asked him if he could help out more by crediting my account $30.00 a month for 6 months, like U-Verse did for some service issues I had a while back.

He put me on hold and returned about 5 minutes later and said that due to their billing procedures, that he couldn't initiate a monthly credit, but would due a one time $180 credit which would show up on my bill the following cycle.

Bottom line. Paid $99.95 for a Samsung Eternity for the wife and mailed in a $50.00 rebate. Paid $199.95 for a Bold and mailed in a $100.00 rebate.

Received the rebates a couple weeks ago, so only paid $149.90 for both phones, and along with the $180.00 credit, ended up on the plus side by $30.

We've had the new phones since the end of August, and so far no problems with either of them...knock on wood!!!
    That's pretty darn good. Kudos to ATT for working with you on this.
    10-28-09 07:27 PM
    My update eligibility starts Nov. 10. Exactly one year after buying my Bold. ATT lets me upgrade after one year for having 5 lines open on my family plan.
    11-09-09 11:05 PM
    The most common way to get your upgrade eligibility extended is by getting suspended for non-pay a number of times.

For inconveniences and depending on the situation (broken phone, out of warranty, no insurance, military deployment, things like that) an early upgrade can be honored but per regular CSR agents we can only do it 3 months early before the upgrade date. Even if it was to escalate to a supervisor we can't do it for a regular upgrade with the 2 year pricing unless your 3 months away from the eligibility date.

If you need a upgrade b/c it was due to something that was out of your hands/control then a lot of times a supervisor can honor the 2 year pricing no matter how far away you are from your eligibility date. Just depends on the situation except for the iphone of course (thats if anyone was looking into that phone).
    11-10-09 12:29 PM
    My upgrade isn't up til July 2010! What can I do to gat and upgrade? Att won't even budge to give me a break! We have 4 lines for family and been customers for 5 or 6 yrs now and they won't help me out! I was hoping maybe to open my 5th line up with the 9700 and then suffer with the $115 ETF that I still have on my Pearl. Think ATT will wave the ETF?
    11-18-09 03:09 PM
    I tried to upgrade last month and they wouldn't budge. I talked to the rep and he said the easiest way is to add a line on your plan. Then drop your current phone to the basics ($9.99 a month) until your plan expires and cancle it. I'm considering doing it.
    11-20-09 12:16 PM
    mayb not the most economical thing to do because you have to pay $9.99 until the contract is up.

I tried to upgrade last month and they wouldn't budge. I talked to the rep and he said the easiest way is to add a line on your plan. Then drop your current phone to the basics ($9.99 a month) until your plan expires and cancle it. I'm considering doing it.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 01:47 PM
    Depends on the phone. With 6 months left it maybe cost benificial,if you getting an expensive phone that is needed.My phone is ok but it can't keep up sometimes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD